What's new

Rain Gear

Part of what makes waxed cotton and ventile waterproof is that the cotton swells as it gets wet, sealing any holes tighter. Not sure if hemp does that.

My Mom got me an oilskin coat from Australia some time ago. In general, do I need to reapply oil to this jacket? Where would one find the proper oil?

yes. any dealer of oilskin has reproofing wax or cream--I would suggest buying the same brand as the jacket if you can just to stay consistent.

There is an art to getting enough oil to waterproof and not too much that it leaves grease spots on your clothes or car seats. I used to reproof the cape often, sleeves and shoulders occasionally, but probably only reproofed the whole coat twice in 10+ years

For umbrellas, the best quality are generally agreed to be from either Swaine, Adeney, and Brigg or from Smith's, both located in London. You can order from their websites or can order the Swaine umbrellas from Classic Luggage.com. Both sources offer different lengths of their umbrellas, but could offer suggestions on what length should work best for you.
For raingear, Barbour is great, but, as mentioned above, Ventile is breathable. There are various sources for Ventile, eBay will often have some from various manufacturers (including Barbour, who have offered Ventile jackets in the past). Another great material is Loro Piana's Storm System, which can make any fabric, including wool and cashmere, very water resistant, but without having the appearance of a raincoat. This type of fabric is available from other sources than Loro Piana, such as Brooks Brothers or Hickey Freeman (and also Barbour, at least in recent years). Storm System fabrics will also be very wind resistance and warmer than what you would expect from their lack of bulk.

I keep a golf umbrella in my car, just below the back seat cushions, keeps it out of the way for anyone in the back seat and is easy to get when I need it.

Also keep a small collapeable in my desk in case I get in to work and it is raining when I leave.

Pretty much keeps me covered anytime I get caught out in the rain.

Cary Grant suggests a good umbrella!

proxy.php

Well shoot, if Cary Grant has one, I have to get one!

Out of curiousity, does anyone have a Swaine, Adeney, and Brigg Umbrella?

I have a Swaine, Adeney, and Brigg umbrella, the Malacca travel version. It allows the handle and tip to be separated from the rest to allow it to fit inside of luggage, but without any compromise in functionality or durability. I got mine from ClassicLuggage.com (they have umbrellas on sale now). These are great umbrellas - they compare to others in the same way a fine TI or Dovo straight edge compares to Bic disposable shavers. Very sturdy and solid. They come in different shaft lengths to accomodate people of different heights. The Smith company in London offers a similar quality of umbrella, but with greater choices in shaft length. Once you get an umbrella this good, you won't go back.

I have a Gortex shell from Cabelas. It was $125 and is rain proof and wind proof. Gortex totally rocks nothing even close when it comes to being rain proof wind proof and light. In the winter I put a polar fleece pull over under it and play in the snow all day. In the summer I use it as is and it handles any rain or wind. It is weird but no one uses umbrellas here.

Wow. Talk about bringing a thread back from the dead!

I don't own a Barbour jacket, but I do have an old LL Bean Upland Hunting Coat in waxed cotton. Lot's of pockets because of it's hunting lineage, and the waxed cotton does the job when the weather turns nasty.

Reactions: ctr
Have a Barbour Border coat. Barbour shortened the sleeves and added a few details for me. Fine coat.

Also have a long British rain coat with removable liner for more formal occasions. Replaced an old London Fog coat. Both were/are fantastic coats for commuting in truly nasty weather.

Finally a hiking rain coat, brand name escapes me at the moment.

1. London Fog Trench Coat for Jacket/Tie
2. Marmot Shell made with Polartech Neoshell for active outdoors and EDC casual
3. 3 layer Goretex jacket and pants for static use in falling rain conditions.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Echo:
I love my Magellan Outdoors Mens Fishgear Overcast Parka w/ casual wear.🧥

proxy.php

And...for casual wear...I wear my Dockers (model# 9033858), Brown Leather Ankle Lace-Up Boots. 🥾

proxy.php

For dress wear...I wear my London Fog (ankle length),Trench Coat w/ belt.🧥

Also, w/ suits...I like my Servus Dress Zipper Galoshes.
:thumbsup:

proxy.php

Because I use a cane, I happen to really like my Knirps Topmatic SL umbrella...great quality and durability (steel frame wood handle)! The crook handle can conveniently hook over my arm or table edge when not in use and because of it's size...it's easy to travel with. 🌂

proxy.php

proxy.php
"Before it pours, don't forget your rain gear because life is full of surprises"! CBJ

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Three or so Barbours here: Border, Beaufort and a Bedale, all great jackets. Actually, two Borders, the first one is from the late 70's/early 80's, so some 40 years old and has been all over with me fishing.

Top Bottom