What's new

Rain Gear

Today I was very ill prepared for the weather, as there is a good rain fall going right now. As I'm typing this, my jeans are soaked up to the knees from my walk to work since I used my emergency umbrella that I had in my messenger bag (a crappy portable one I bought at a Borders Cafe once). I was wondering, what do you gents use as rain gear?

When I was younger and in high school/college, I used my Dad's old trench coat. However, now I realize it's about 4 sizes to big on me and I don't wear it anymore. I was thinking it was time to buy a new one that fits. The only cold weather coats that I have is a wool pea coat and wool trench. Both are great for the cold, but don't work as well for the rain. I also have a poncho, but it doesn't really go well when I decide to wear a nicer outfit to work. What kind of coats do you wear in the rain?

In terms of shoes, I have two shoes especiall for the rain. The first are a pair of Rockports that are waterproof. I usually wear these when I'm wearing something nicer. When I wear something more casualy, I wear a pair of Tretorn Strala rain boots. They're basically ankle galloshes and the design is similar to a pair of slip on vans. They look a little funky, but they're also pretty cool and keep my feet both warm and dry. What kind of shoes do you rock?

I also need a new umbrella. I have a portable umbrella that I keep in my bag in case of emergencies and this generic umbrella I got from my father from his office (has his company's logo on it). I know the classic umbrella is a black one with wood handle, but what brand do people get and where do they get it from? Or do any of you use those crazy kind of umbrellas (wind resistance, Blade Runner-esque, etc.)?

Anyway, I thought a fun topic on rain gear would be cool. Let me know what you guys do!

If you don't cycle to work, waxed cotton. If you do, Paramo or Ventile. Goretex type jackets look ok but not classic and will date badly AND quickly.

If you don't cycle to work, waxed cotton. If you do, Paramo or Ventile. Goretex type jackets look ok but not classic and will date badly AND quickly.

+1 A nice Barbour wax jacket, or if adventurous the Dri-az-abone wax loooong cattlemans coat (made for horseriding) but looks great walking, think .... matrix

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Most of the time it is Barbour for me as well. When on a summer vacation I use an L.L.Bean rain jacket as it packs really small and leaves no waxed cotton stain on everything it crosses paths with like the Barbour does.

Tony

+1 A nice Barbour wax jacket, or if adventurous the Dri-az-abone wax loooong cattlemans coat (made for horseriding) but looks great walking, think .... matrix

Now where would a man who wuz hankerin' fo' one of dese find em?

marty

Burberry balmacaan, referred to as a raincoat on their web site. It's similar to Brooks Brothers single-breasted trench.

Cover shoes with Tingley (black) or Swims (brown).

Gustbuster umbrella

MinnMD

I cannot offer any advice in the way of rain jackets. As for umbrellas, I say find yourself a quality golf umbrella. I bought a nice Nike golf umbrella (dont worry, the swoosh logo was very small and discreet) at the Nike store in Trump Tower in Manhattan. I used it the same day on top of the Empire State building, because it was raining/snowing, and there was a good 30+ mph wind blowing steady, gusting a little higher. EVERY umbrella that was out was foldedup the wrong way because of the wind, with the exception of mine. It also opens pleny large enough to easily cover 2 people, which that day included my wife and I. You dont have to pick a Nike umbrella, but golf umbrella's, in my limited experience, tend to be the sturdiest of the bunch, while also being large enough to accomodate at least 2 people (think caddie and player).

I own myself a Drizabone (the short raincoat not the long riding one Matrix kind...)and i'n quite satisfied with it. I bought it several years ago in Australia and it still woorks wonderfully having a nice patine after all these years.The only thing i do is, each Autumn, to put some wax on.

I never take an umbrella with me, i lost them all the time, but a nice hat as this one

http://www.sundayafternoons.com/store/mens-oregon-cloudburst-hat.html

This is the Humvee of rain hats!! From Norway heavy downpours to India monsoon it performs superbly under harsh conditions.

Another one, more classic shape hat, i own too is the Storm Vineyard Haven Hat made by Watership Companie.I will rate them both #1 ex-aequo.

Last edited:
Barbours are great, there's no doubt, as are D-a-Bone's, but they are also expensive. You can get a perfectly acceptable substitue for half or a third of the £180 I paid for mine (my D-a-B's going for £135 in most places now...and its the short one). Just bear in mind waxed-cotton graments are not superbreathable, whereas Ventile is more breathable than even Gor-tex, as are the Paramo products. A good umbrella with a nice woollen jacket & scarf is a great combo, but losing an umbrella is a *****.

My Mom got me an oilskin coat from Australia some time ago. In general, do I need to reapply oil to this jacket? Where would one find the proper oil?

Top Bottom