What's new

Railways

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The National Transportation Museum in Ottawa Canada has some truly MASSIVE locomotives on display. I'm 6'4" (or was, anyway), and the wheels on some of them are taller than I am.

VERY impressive.
I worked for the transit authority in a major US city for some time. I was once sent to the Hawker Siddeley plant in Thunder Bay ON to see new subway cars that were being built there. Coldest I've ever been, but beyond that, learning the history of that plant in aircraft manufacturing was fascinating. You might even say that the Battle Of Britain was won in Thunder Bay.

Ironically, later in that same year the transit authority also purchased rolling stock made by Messerschmidt in Germany; we were running cars made by the two great aircraft manufacturers of WWII on the same track.

Last edited:
6525A30D-7DF9-4050-A9EC-925E65A9FE89.jpeg
6525A30D-7DF9-4050-A9EC-925E65A9FE89.jpeg

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Here’s a shot of my office, taken early one morning after dying (12-hours of service) just north of Colorado Springs.

BNSF 9011, a then 9-month-old SD70ACe & EMD’s answer to late-variant GE Dash-9s, was the helper unit whose job it was to push or pull heavy coal & grain loads (with DC or bad-order motors) over Monument Pass.

shoelessjoe

@shoelessjoe Great photo... I think you win if that's your office. Let me know when it's "take your shave buddy to work day" :)
Thank you, sir! That said, be very careful about what you wish for. While most folks think that BNSF reads, Burlington Northern Sante Fe, it’s actually an acronym for, Better Not Start (a) Family. 😬

Here’s a shot of my office, taken early one morning after dying (12-hours of service) just north of Colorado Springs.

BNSF 9011, a then 9-month-old SD70ACe & EMD’s answer to late-variant GE Dash-9s, was the helper unit whose job it was to push or pull heavy coal & grain loads (with DC or bad-order motors) over Monument Pass.

great! thanks for posting!

had lots of fun chasing the trains when i was over in az and nm back in 2012!!

bnsf 2012.jpg

shoelessjoe

Wonderful photos, thank you for sharing!

Oh, the pics I wish I could have snapped in the yard & on the road, but didn’t because of the FRA’s understandably strict policy concerning cell phone/camera usage ... in short, save for an emergency, while on duty they had to be kept turned off & stowed inside of a grip. I’m being facetious, but better to be caught with a sub-machine gun, as opposed to a cell phone, camera or alcohol/drugs in your system!

A couple of photographs, the first is from around 1948, where the star of the pic is not the engine but the people, the second is a pic to show how great steam engines look in the snow.

View attachment 1211715

View attachment 1211716
I love this pair.

The little girl is so small compared to the engine. And the Engineer makes the shot, drawing your eyes to the little girl.

The second shot contrasts the red with the bluish snow. Opposite ends of the visible spectrum

These were the last two engines still in CNW livery that UP had set aside for some years. These were always kept together for years locally. They have since been painted in UP livery.

DSC00631.jpeg

The Big Boy spent a few days here. You simply cannot grasp the size of that steam engine unless you see it. The thing is staggering in mass - beyond description.

IMG_1708.jpeg

Top Bottom