What's new

Radiumite

Watched a show called radium girls a while back. Found that whole piece of history somewhat interesting. Found a razor that I "believe
radiumite.jpg
" I read came from that era. So I had to have it. Either that or I made it up. Either way, good story.

Hopefully, that is not the case. Back during the 20s, watch dials used small amount of radium so the dial would light up at night. The markings were applied by hand using a paint containing radium pigment. Many of the radium girls who worked in the factories applying this paint contracted radium poisoning from ingesting the hazardous material. Allegedly, they were told that the paint was harmless, so they used it as nail polish and makeup.

I doubt your razor contains any radium, although I guess the etchings could have been enhanced up with radium paint. I suggest you take your razor into a dark room and see if you can see the etchings. If you can, you might want to be careful using the razor. I doubt it would be hazardous, but you never know.

My wife's mother collected original Fiesta Ware. Some of the colors contained lead and others contained radioactive uranium oxides to enhance the colors. We kept a few of them including an orange saucer that is supposed to be one of the most radioactive products available for commercial purchase. We would not consider eating from the dishes and we keep them on a high shelf well out of reach to minimize any exposure to lead or radiation.

Before WWII most people did not realize the dangers of high energy radiation such as gamma rays and x-rays. The atomic bomb changed that. Even ultraviolet radiation can be hazardous, especially UV-C

Legion

Staff member
Hopefully, that is not the case. Back during the 20s, watch dials used small amount of radium so the dial would light up at night. The markings were applied by hand using a paint containing radium pigment. Many of the radium girls who worked in the factories applying this paint contracted radium poisoning from ingesting the hazardous material. Allegedly, they were told that the paint was harmless, so they used it as nail polish and makeup.

I doubt your razor contains any radium, although I guess the etchings could have been enhanced up with radium paint. I suggest you take your razor into a dark room and see if you can see the etchings. If you can, you might want to be careful using the razor. I doubt it would be hazardous, but you never know.

My wife's mother collected original Fiesta Ware. Some of the colors contained lead and others contained radioactive uranium oxides to enhance the colors. We kept a few of them including an orange saucer that is supposed to be one of the most radioactive products available for commercial purchase. We would not consider eating from the dishes and we keep them on a high shelf well out of reach to minimize any exposure to lead or radiation.

Before WWII most people did not realize the dangers of high energy radiation such as gamma rays and x-rays. The atomic bomb changed that. Even ultraviolet radiation can be hazardous, especially UV-C
The big thing that got the girls making watches was that they would put the brushes in their mouths and draw them through their lips to put a finer point on the bristles.

Allegedly Madame Curie and her pals would paint their teeth with radium and turn out the lights as a party trick. Apparently her scientific notes and even her cookbooks are now stored in lead lined boxes because they are still too radioactive to handle without protective equipment. She still made it to 66 years old, which I guess was about average back in those days.

Today, I learned (TIL).

Safety Razors are unnatural, amateurish, and inhuman

Companies were giving away 5,000,000 razors to each purchaser of a strop (costing $1)

Deluxe came from de Lux, as in Strop and Razor Sets de Lux

Modern day men have bad postures not because we have desk jobs or are glued to mobile devices - it's because we stopped wearing the BRACERS that kept our forefathers shoulders straight, chest out, and formed erect and attractive bearings

The Radiumite razor is a darn fine shaver. Too bad, cuz I think I am going to put it in a display with the article above as the back ground. It is old, in good shape, and has some known history. That all sets it above my others in "collectibility" lol. I have several other new and vintage that are great shavers as well so I do not "need" to shave with this one. It is likely right at the top of my favorite shaves so far, however.

I purchased a radiumite razor on eBay last week for $13 shipped. Just finished restoring and built an edge, bevel to finish. I am not sure it’s not my smoothest shaver. I am going to do more of these eBay project gems.

I specifically collect for etches, there's some that I've seen tons of which makes me interested in having 1 just because it's an iconic straight razor etch. In that vein I decided to get an improved eagle etch, and just last week received a carbomagnetic etch - anyone who scrolls the bay knows these. I may have to get a radiumite too for the same reason, it's not a beautiful razor, but I've seen so many it must have been iconic. I want to get a de-fi too.. not fancy things, just common to people in their time which is kind of awesome.

I purchased a radiumite razor on eBay last week for $13 shipped. Just finished restoring and built an edge, bevel to finish. I am not sure it’s not my smoothest shaver. I am going to do more of these eBay project gems.
Do it! Turns out awesome razors and doesn't cost much at all! I should have started restoring my new carbomagnetic today but was lazy..

I think you will find that the radium girls used to paint watch dials with glow in the dark paint. I have an Omega from the era circa 1944 and its hands still glow all night. I believe all or most of these women died of throat cancer.

Found this one a couple days ago for $15. I have never see another square point, I am sure they out there. These things shave so good, the steel is soft like Sheffield, so easy to hone. I put this one a relaxing hour on my coticule, then 8 laps on the Black Ark.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The big thing that got the girls making watches was that they would put the brushes in their mouths and draw them through their lips to put a finer point on the bristles.

Allegedly Madame Curie and her pals would paint their teeth with radium and turn out the lights as a party trick. Apparently her scientific notes and even her cookbooks are now stored in lead lined boxes because they are still too radioactive to handle without protective equipment. She still made it to 66 years old, which I guess was about average back in those days.

I’m a retired radiation protection professional, 34 years at Oak Ridge.

What @Legion says is consistent with my understanding. And it took years and millions of francs to decontaminate the Curie’s residence in Paris. Madame Curie died of radiation related effects, which her husband was also showing. But he died by walking out in front of a horse cart at speed while reading a newspaper as I remember it.

Radium is nasty stuff, and emits large quantities of radon gas too.

I doubt that any razors ever had any radium in them, so buy away!

Top Bottom