What's new

Radiators, Falcons, and Kirstens...oh my!

Please, discuss all manner of pros/cons, experiences, likes, dislikes, and opinions of the various "radiator" pipes.

I may be in the market and for others who are radiator-curious...

Please, discuss all manner of pros/cons, experiences, likes, dislikes, and opinions of the various "radiator" pipes.

I may be in the market and for others who are radiator-curious...

"May be in the market" means you've already looked/researched/possibly even ordered and want confirmation or to know more about other kinds, right? At least that's usually how it works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plead the 5th, Allan.

But I haven't ordered anything yet. I just see lots of people mentioning these systems, I legitimately want to hear more!

Only one of the 3 I've smoked has been the falcon. Not a bad smoke. Just different. Could taste a difference, although I couldn't pinpoint what it was. I do remember having to smoke it very slow to keep from overheating. It had a very open draw. Only tried the one falcon and am now trying to get rid of it. Have yet to try my radiator... been debating to go ahead and break my all meer march to try it and the new neerup haha.

The falcon is an old design. It works but I'm sure the newer ones work some better. Gotta try them all to see I guess haha :thumbup:

I have none of them. From everything I have read and heard, the Radiator is far and away the best of the three, with the Kirsten a distant second and the Falcon somewhere well behind that.

Pros: provides a cool smoke, inexpensive

Con: they just look so damn goofy.

At least that's my problem with them. I know they smoke well, and if I were not getting satisfactory smokes out of my briar and meers I might be more willing to look past it, but to me they just look too strange.

I have none of them. From everything I have read and heard, the Radiator is far and away the best of the three, with the Kirsten a distant second and the Falcon somewhere well behind that.

Pros: provides a cool smoke, inexpensive

At least that's my problem with them. I know they smoke well, and if I were not getting satisfactory smokes out of my briar and meers I might be more willing to look past it, but to me they just look too strange.
I actually like how weird they are. :lol:

I agree. The only one I like the looks of is the kirsten.

I actually like how weird they are. :lol:

Me too haha. I think they are neat looking. Not classic beauty per say but beauty im the engineering and function. They do look pretty cool too.

20170308_182836.jpg

20170304_163640.jpg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I am by no means an expert piper but the non-traditional radiator pipes appeal to me in some unexplainable way. Maybe it's the art-deco/steam punk/modern design, or the ability to dismantle the thing to clean. It might be the modularity of it where you can buy a new stem or bowl or body if needed. It might also be the dry smoke that it affords me despite my lack of smoking skills, as a gurgling pipe is the bane of my tobacco enjoyment. I would suspect the seasoned smokers may find the radiator pipes remove some flavor from the smoke, but so far for me I haven't noticed.

Now that Kirsten started up production again you don't have to troll eBay for one. Falcons are a nice knock around pipe, although the accumulated smoke juice will go back up the stem if you hold it with the bowl higher than the stem. I have yet to receive my Wiebe radiator pipe, but I am sure it will smoke just fine.

I am by no means an expert piper but the non-traditional radiator pipes appeal to me in some unexplainable way. Maybe it's the art-deco/steam punk/modern design, or the ability to dismantle the thing to clean. It might be the modularity of it where you can buy a new stem or bowl or body if needed. It might also be the dry smoke that it affords me despite my lack of smoking skills, as a gurgling pipe is the bane of my tobacco enjoyment. I would suspect the seasoned smokers may find the radiator pipes remove some flavor from the smoke, but so far for me I haven't noticed.

Now that Kirsten started up production again you don't have to troll eBay for one. Falcons are a nice knock around pipe, although the accumulated smoke juice will go back up the stem if you hold it with the bowl higher than the stem. I have yet to receive my Wiebe radiator pipe, but I am sure it will smoke just fine.
You have a kirsten? No gurgle?

My falcon didnt gurgle. Not saying it is better than any others by no means. You can put a little pipe cleaner ring in the moisture chamber too to keep any from coming back into the stem. Falcon sells them but I just made my own. Guess its just differences in smokers too.

Also I know that there are meerschaum bowls available for falcons and kirstens.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have all three; well, I don't have a Falcon but I have a Grabow Viking which is essentially the same. Here's my take: all three give a different smoking experience than briar, and you should definitely try one.

For function, I rank them Radiator Kirsten Falcon.

For looks, I rank them Kirsten Radiator Falcon.

For price, Falcon Radiator Kirsten.

For availability of different spare bowls, Falcon, Kirsten, Radiator.

For smoking experience (not flavor), Kirsten Radiator Falcon.

For foolproof design/less stuff to break or replace, Radiator, Falcon, Kirsten.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have all three; well, I don't have a Falcon but I have a Grabow Viking which is essentially the same. Here's my take: all three give a different smoking experience than briar, and you should definitely try one.

For function, I rank them Radiator Kirsten Falcon.

For looks, I rank them Kirsten Radiator Falcon.

For price, Falcon Radiator Kirsten.

For availability of different spare bowls, Falcon, Kirsten, Radiator.

For smoking experience (not flavor), Kirsten Radiator Falcon.

For foolproof design/less stuff to break or replace, Radiator, Falcon, Kirsten.

What is your take on flavor vs a good smoking briar or meer?

Hirsute

In the Radiator and Kirsten, I get a much drier smoke. I feel like I get more separation of flavors and can taste components more distinctly. Also, aros are immeasurably better in the radiator--remove the steam, and many actually do taste good.

In the Radiator and Kirsten, I get a much drier smoke. I feel like I get more separation of flavors and can taste components more distinctly. Also, aros are immeasurably better in the radiator--remove the steam, and many actually do taste good.
That's an interesting point.

Hirsute

And I'll add this: I worried a little that the shorter Bones straight Radiator wouldn't smoke as cool as my stubby bent Radiator--no reason to worry. Works the same and gave me the coolest smoke from a nosewarmer length pipe I've ever had.

Top Bottom