What's new

RAD kicking in: Zenith or Whipped dog silvertip?

Hi guys,

First of all: I don't need an extra brush. I only have 2 (Shavemac Silvertip and a Maseto silvertip), because i like to keep my items usable instead of having loads of brushes that only get used every few weeks. BUT, I read all of your reviews of the RazoRock (Zenith), Whipped Dog and TGN brushes that I want to buy one more. I bowl lather, but try face lathering more and more and I like soft tips without scritch/scratch and with some backbone.

I would like to buy a complete brush, as I am not really handy with glue and would hate to ruin a nice knot with glue all over it. I really don't like the handles of the TGN and the fact that their silvertip knots seem to be less soft that Whipped Dog, so TGN is out of the picture for me.

That leaves Whipped Dog in 24 mm silvertip knot which I would like 5 mm drilled deeper OR a nice (but twice more expensive than WD) Zenith silvertip.

Which one would you recommend and why, please?

Hi guys,

First of all: I don't need an extra brush. I only have 2 (Shavemac Silvertip and a Maseto silvertip), because i like to keep my items usable instead of having loads of brushes that only get used every few weeks. BUT, I read all of your reviews of the RazoRock (Zenith), Whipped Dog and TGN brushes that I want to buy one more. I bowl lather, but try face lathering more and more and I like soft tips without scritch/scratch and with some backbone.

I would like to buy a complete brush, as I am not really handy with glue and would hate to ruin a nice knot with glue all over it. I really don't like the handles of the TGN and the fact that their silvertip knots seem to be less soft that Whipped Dog, so TGN is out of the picture for me.

That leaves Whipped Dog in 24 mm silvertip knot which I would like 5 mm drilled deeper OR a nice (but twice more expensive than WD) Zenith silvertip.

Which one would you recommend and why, please?
If you like the handles more I'd say Zenith (Whipped Dog handles do nothing for me). But if you really want to stick with 3 brushes only (good luck with that!), I would recommend you take your time, have a look around, and spend a bit more money on something potentially much nicer that you are bound to enjoy for a long time (so many options, take your pic). On the other hand, if you end up like most people and continue to acquire new brushes, the same recommendation applies since you will end up chasing the hooked tip dragon and upgrade eventually anyhow!

You have 2 great silvertip brushes already (I'm assuming 3-band); have you considered diversifying and trying a 2-band finest/manchurian? My personal favourite badger hair, can be almost as plush as a silvertip but with much better backbone.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have both a Whipped Dog High Mountain White and a Zenith Manchurian. I like the Zenith 506 handle better than the one on my Whipped Dog. The Zenith knot is slightly softer but the Whipped Dog slightly denser.

Whipped Dog at 6 o'clock; Zenith at 9 o'clock top layer left carousel:
proxy.php

Can't speak for the Zenith but I have had a Whipped Dog Silvertip and Larry has an excellent product and outstanding customer service as well. Mine was a 24mm set 10mm deep as suggested by a convo w/ Larry. It had good backbone and the softest tips of any brush I owned at the time. I now am strictly a synthetic user now and the APShaveCo Cashmere I set in a custom handle is probably the top choice most mornings when I am choosing that days gear but it is tough to pass up the Whipped Dog 24mm Ubersoft I have setting next to it!!

Anyway, the only reason I don't have the WD Silvertip anymore is I just found that after it bloomed, and will add breaking in the brush was exceptionally quick, it just felt like it was too large a brush for me. I never measured it but would say that after blooming it was probably every bit of 30mm+ which just felt too big for me. I'd also add that in the several months I used it I think it shed less than 10 hairs total. I had to think long and hard before selling it but ultimately wanted it to go to someone that would use it more than I was... I also can't say that I haven't thought about adding a 20 or 22mm Silvertip from Larry to my collection. I'm sure that after they bloomed they would be more to my liking for size. Food for thought...

Here's a couple pics of mine pre-bloomed, post bloomed, and lathered...
20170107_121100.jpg 20170202_154424-1.jpg 20170202_155141-1.jpg 20170305_090944.jpg

I have both and like both. If you want a 24mm knot, I would go with Larry at Whipped Dog. The Zenith/RR brushes have larger knot.

My Tall Whipped Dog Silvertip-24mmx52mm

proxy.php

My RazoRock/Zenith Chubby Extra Silvertip-28mmx51mm

proxy.php

Hi gentlemen,

Many thanks for your replies. Really helpful ideas there. I will take a step back and think what I want to do now before buying new ones. Thanks again!

I have both a Whipped Dog High Mountain White and a Zenith Manchurian. I like the Zenith 506 handle better than the one on my Whipped Dog. The Zenith knot is slightly softer but the Whipped Dog slightly denser.

Whipped Dog at 6 o'clock; Zenith at 9 o'clock top layer left carousel:
proxy.php

Whoa!

I had my beloved butterscotched Floris brush rebadgered by Whipped Dog in silvertip 7-8 years ago. It is just now beginning to "donut." No complaint; next time I think I'll skip the silvertip and just get a more dense badger now, like a chubby, in best or super or whatever they call them. Handle almost 50 years old! Deep brown, very pleasing.

Top Bottom