What's new

Rad kicking in what is the opinion on the Rex Envoy?

So its been a while since I have purchased a razor, and the Rex Envoy is starting to mesmerize me. What is your opinions on its aggressiveness?is it like a gillette tech?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
No direct experience, but...... ( Lol, this is where I should stop, but I can't help myself, as I love to enable...) I haven't read a bad review of it. If I weren't a hoarder I'd buy one in a second my friend. Everyone seems to love the fit and finish.

RE website states its equal to a 3 and whatever I've used the Rex ambassador on a 3, I think the envoy would be a great razor. I think it would be equal to a GC 84 or Karve D plate or someone can chime in if it would be a timeless 95. If the handle is the same as the Ambassador, you would have a solid grippy handle which will not slip even with grease on your hands

You may want to go through posts of users who feel a kind of drag due to the matte finish on the RE. Same may apply to the envoy. Personally I havent faced this issue in any matte finish razors

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Very nice razor. Smooth and effective.
20200430_170104~2.jpg
image.jpg

It's going to be more aggressive than a Tech. I have an Ambassador and everyone says the Envoy is like that on 3 or 3.5. I prefer the Ambassador turned down around 2 or 2.5 and even there it's more aggressive than a Tech. Don't get me wrong though. It's not aggressive in a harsh way. More just in an efficient but still pretty comfortable way. If you like fairly mild razors, I'd personally go with the Ambassador so you can find a setting you like (and I think you will) but I'm not sure the Envoy would be ideal for you.

I can't speak on the Envoy. I briefly owned the Ambassador.
I did not like it at all. I like mild razors. The Ambassador had too much blade feel for me. It just felt too scrapy of a feeling.
I did admire the fine craftsmanship of the razor though.

Well there are some great black Friday sales going on so I purchased the Rex Envoy. I will give a review after I get a little time with it. Happy Turkey day

You got a great deal on a great razor! (Since you saved 30% on the sale, you might want to pickup the stand. How’s that for enabling lol)?
I got the Ambassador for my birthday last month. I haven’t picked up any of my other razors since. And settings 2.5 to 3.5 seem to be the sweet spot so I think they picked the right setting to base the Envoy on. My Ambassador on 3 is more efficient than my Gamechanger .84 or my Muhle Rocca but very smooth. I haven’t had any drag issues at all. Enjoy!

I also haven't tried the Envoy but have tried the Ambassador. I like milder razors and the Ambassador was a nice razor at very low settings (although even at low settings, it was a medium aggression razor in my opinion). I didn't like the Ambassador at a setting of ~3+, which is where most people say is the equivalent of the Envoy.

If the Envoy was equivalent to the Ambassador at ~1.5, I would have seriously considered buying one. I didn't like the fiddlyness of the Ambassador's adjustment mechanism (e.g., you can push the adjuster plate out of alignment), so a fixed 3 piece design would have appealed to me.

You got a great deal on a great razor! (Since you saved 30% on the sale, you might want to pickup the stand. How’s that for enabling lol)?
According to the RE site the razor is still selling for $125 which is list price, where is the sale? I put one in my cart just to find out if the sale price shows up in the cart but it doesn't....

Well I have a dozen shaves in with the envoy, and have a better idea of it now. It is more aggressive then I thought it would be and the personna red I put in there the first time led to some blood shed when I was shaving my dome. Well figured it out and put an Astra Sp and now I can shave my head no problem.

Well I have a dozen shaves in with the envoy, and have a better idea of it now. It is more aggressive then I thought it would be and the personna red I put in there the first time led to some blood shed when I was shaving my dome. Well figured it out and put an Astra Sp and now I can shave my head no problem.
If the Astra is still a little aggressive, try the Tatra Platinum.

Briefly had an Envoy, it is VERY well machined and feels good in the hand. I liked using it.

It did not however shave as good as it looked for me.

Top Bottom