What's new

RAD bug is biting - Should I succumb?

Hi all,

I currently own a Merkur HD and Progress. I use the Progress razor with Feather blades as my daily go-to shaver.

I've read all the raving reviews on the Feather All-Stainless razor which has in turn inflamed my RAD bug. As such, I'm itching to buy this little gem - however, what's stopping me at the moment is its hefty price tag.

As a proud owner of the Progress (and HD) am I simply wasting my money if I get the Feather DE? I understand that the Feather DE is a mild shaver, but is also renowned to give a very smooth shave and being very forgiving :thumbup:

What do you guys reckon? Yay or nay?

Thanks!

If you are looking for quality of shave, you can find any number of vintage Gillettes or Gems that will work every bit as well. If you are looking for a high end razor that will last forever, go for it. I have considered the Pils, Feather, Vision, etc., but I know I won't get any better shave than I would with a $20 Slim.

Personally, I find the vintages far more fun. They have already withstood the test of time. I am always amazed to be shaving with a fifty year old razor and not having to treat it as a precious relic because it's so well made. For one Feather you might get four very nice Fat Boys.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
You are asking us if you should resist RAD? Bad idea.:lol: I do not know much about the feather. Have you considered any vintage razors?

Just my 2 cents but I don't think any DE is worth that much money....unless it's a vintage, one of a kind, and in mint condition DE.

I got the same fever after purchasing my first DE, a Murker 38c. But then the more threads I read here, the more I wanted to try some vintage Gillettes. I snagged a few off the bay and my 38c hasn't seen the light of day since. All of my Gillettes shave much better than my one Murker and all three together didn't even come close to $100. I sincerely believe the old Gillettes were made with more precession than today's razors.

Opinions are like noses, everybody's got one. This is just mind. Take it for what it's worth. :001_cool:

I feel your pain.....but stop and think about asking your question here.

Kind of like stopping at the old watering hole to ask for directions to the AA meeting.

Life is uncertain, have dessert first....:)

Happy New Years!!!

I say go ahead and buy it, if it's not to your liking you could always turn it over on the BST. One things for certain you'll never know until you have it in your hands.

Of the moderns, I have an HD (my first purchase), a Slant and a Progressive. Progressive with Feather is my daily (and I try to make it stay in the drawer, but it just won't).

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hi all,

I currently own a Merkur HD and Progress. I use the Progress razor with Feather blades as my daily go-to shaver.

I've read all the raving reviews on the Feather All-Stainless razor which has in turn inflamed my RAD bug. As such, I'm itching to buy this little gem - however, what's stopping me at the moment is its hefty price tag.

As a proud owner of the Progress (and HD) am I simply wasting my money if I get the Feather DE? I understand that the Feather DE is a mild shaver, but is also renowned to give a very smooth shave and being very forgiving :thumbup:

What do you guys reckon? Yay or nay?

Thanks!
gshyoung:
"Resistance is futile"...so says the Borg. :w00t:

Christopher :c2:

Last edited:
I know they are harder to find, but I like my Schick Krona and also my Gillette New. For an open comb, the New is actually a mild razor. The Krona would be somewhat easier to find, as the New stopped production in (IIRC) 1949 whereas the Krona was produced into the mid 70's.

Note that the New is not a TTO and the handle is prone to cracking where it attaches to the head -- something that Coon Cat Bob the handle maker could probably take care of (I think that is his name on here and from what others say on here), using the stock head and a newly made handle.

Depends.

If you like the Progress on its mildest setting, you should buy the Feather.

If you have become accustomed to the Progress on a more aggressive setting, you might be disappointed with the Feather.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I love my feather... to feel it's cold stainless handle, gaze at the flawless machining, to marvel at the immaculate finish, to clean clean it without worrying about the plating....sigh. I love vintage razors as much as the next guy but if you can afford it get it...although it's out of stock most places. A cased, minty vintage will cost a pretty penny anyways so why not?

Oh yeah, I like the shave as well-as long as you stick a feather or similarly sharp blade in it.

No....you should not succumb to RAD...or any AD for that matter.

Oh...by the way...did I mention that today is Opposite Day! :blink:

Depends.

If you like the Progress on its mildest setting, you should buy the Feather.

If you have become accustomed to the Progress on a more aggressive setting, you might be disappointed with the Feather.

Thanks y'all for all your replies :)

I set my Progress between 2 to 3, so it's on a fairly aggressive setting. Given the price point, I reckon it's probably more justified (and sensible) to hold off on this purchase, since it's unlikely to yield a closer shave to what I'm already getting now with the Progress!

See... you can overcome RAD :w00t:

Personally, I find the vintages far more fun. They have already withstood the test of time. I am always amazed to be shaving with a fifty year old razor and not having to treat it as a precious relic because it's so well made. For one Feather you might get four very nice Fat Boys.

+1
:thumbup1:

Top Bottom