What's new

RAD ATTACK! FOUR the love of GEM !

@Ron R posted it on another thread. Is it your photo? Did you have any assistance putting it together? Are you wanting credit?
Not my list, but definitely my razor and my picture. I was pointing out to whoever made the list that the June patent ER1914 razor is missing. I didn’t think I needed to spell that out because it was pretty obvious when I said a razor was missing from the list.

Not my list, but definitely my razor and my picture. I was pointing out to whoever made the list that the June patent ER1914 razor is missing. I didn’t think I needed to spell that out because it was pretty obvious when I said a razor was missing from the list.

Another member posted it as a completed timeline for GEM razors. I kept the file for my and other's reference.

Do you have an online link to the actual spreadsheet? Otherwise I'll just OCR your pic.

BTW here's one not mentioned on your list
proxy.php

Hello @rudyt and sorry for the late reply. As I've stated before in another thread, the list is not the Bible nor "written in stone". It's more of a work in progress (that's why on the top left corner you can read Beta 1.1). As a matter of fact, I have found a few more models and variants since that pic was first published. Star and Ever-Ready models are harder to track down, especially the British ER models. It does seem Brits are not as fond as Americans about keeping records of vintage catalogs and newspaper ads. As incomplete as it still is, I think it is quite reliable.

There's no spreadsheet to download because it's part of a much bigger file containing about 30 pages of random personal shaving data, Gillette, Autostrop and Schick-Eversharp dating, brushes, razor blades and so on.
As soon as I consider the Gem/ER/Star Dating page has beefed up enough with new information I will publish a "Beta 1.2". But, from what I can see, there will surely be a V.1.3 and so on :001_302:

Hi all,

I attended an Antique Show today and purchased another (wait for it) GEM Micromatic Open Comb (Gold) Razor.
This one came with a pretty beat up cardboard display box but did have original "directions/instructions" for the Razor which was in prime condition! Also included was a box of vintage GEM Micromatic Blades. Yikes, I now own FIVE Micromatics! Oooh, I shaved this morning and I used a......GEM Micromatic (Gold). I'm still trying to get use to the MMOC.

SixCats!

Hi all,

I attended an Antique Show today and purchased another (wait for it) GEM Micromatic Open Comb (Gold) Razor.
This one came with a pretty beat up cardboard display box but did have original "directions/instructions" for the Razor which was in prime condition! Also included was a box of vintage GEM Micromatic Blades. Yikes, I now own FIVE Micromatics! Oooh, I shaved this morning and I used a......GEM Micromatic (Gold). I'm still trying to get use to the MMOC.

SixCats!
How many days growth this time?

@Twelvefret ,Hi Theo. LOL OK, ya got me. Well, for me, it was a VERY light Beard.....perhaps three (four days) growth tops. This time, the Shaving process went much better! However, I still find the (especially) handle weight of the MMOC a little bit on the heavy side (as compared to either my Gillette "New" or Ever-Ready 1912). That being said, me thinks I'd better learn to love the MMOC as I now own FIVE of these cool Razors (although, one is a NOS "Safe Queen").

SixCats!

@Twelvefret ,Hi Theo. LOL OK, ya got me. Well, for me, it was a VERY light Beard.....perhaps three (four days) growth tops. This time, the Shaving process went much better! However, I still find the (especially) handle weight of the MMOC a little bit on the heavy side (as compared to either my Gillette "New" or Ever-Ready 1912). That being said, me thinks I'd better learn to love the MMOC as I now own FIVE of these cool Razors (although, one is a NOS "Safe Queen").

SixCats!

Heavy can be an advantage. I have very heavy brass razors down to Bakelite slants. The slants have a lot of blade exposure so that I can shave without the cap touching my face.

However, it is the blade that does the cutting. If the blade is being blocked by growth, just rinse more often, take out the blade and rinse if needed. Once you've reduced the growth, do a more fine tuned pass to suit your preference.

I wore a beard for decades. I could grow a decent beard in a week. I'd take clippers to reduce the beard down to a manageable length.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Yikes, I now own FIVE Micromatics! Oooh, I shaved this morning and I used a......GEM Micromatic (Gold). I'm still trying to get use to the MMOC.

Hello @SixCats! you might want to use a milder GEM, I thought you had a GEM Featherweight or a MMBT. I started using a G bar at first because others were saying it was a good one to start with and I found mine to be a little mild and was able to dial it in and started to look forward to other Gems. I had ordered a MMOC but it was sent to the wrong address and it was more than likely a blessing because by the time I had a chance to use my MMOC it was a lot easier.
(You already might of used some of the other GEMS already?)
Have some great shaves!

Hi @Ron R , you know something, perhaps that would be a good idea. I now have a nice collection of GEM & Ever-Ready Razors. Actually, my first ever (Single Edge) Shave was using my Ever-Ready 1912 and I LOVED the overall experience/results. In addition to having (two) Ever-Ready 1912's (per your comment) I do indeed have a GEM "Featherweight", as well as a MMBT, a "G Bar" and a GEM 1912 (and other MMOC's).
LOL, I guess I do have a few tools in my tool box to choose from for my next Shave!

SixCats!

As I've stated before in another thread, the list is not the Bible nor "written in stone". It's more of a work in progress (that's why on the top left corner you can read Beta 1.1
I love it when someone takes it upon themselves to try to piece together and preserve history. Keep up the good work and please publish your work for posterity when you feel it’s ready.

Hi all,

SixCats!
5?????
:001_tt2:
You need 2 more to complete the 7 day set. Go for it!

@Jim99, Hi Jim, am I overlooking a couple of GEM models ?
I have a hot lead on a VERY nice "Schick Repeating Type B Injector Razor". Oooh baby!
Also I plan (perhaps tomorrow) purchasing a VERY nice condition pair of vintage EMI (DLS) 529 Speakers to use with my vintage FISHER 400 Tube Receiver ! I had no idea these Speakers are all the RAGE in Japan.

SixCats!

@Jim99, Hi Jim, am I overlooking a couple of GEM models ?
I have a hot lead on a VERY nice "Schick Repeating Type B Injector Razor". Oooh baby!
Also I plan (perhaps tomorrow) purchasing a VERY nice condition pair of vintage EMI (DLS) 529 Speakers to use with my vintage FISHER 400 Tube Receiver ! I had no idea these Speakers are all the RAGE in Japan.

SixCats!
You’re killing me! More Gems, a Schick B and now a vintage Fisher receiver?

I’ll stop by tomorrow to play with your toys!

:001_tongu

@Jim99, lol Jim. I already had the FISHER 400 for some years although, it has been recently completely gone through by Gordon W. of NOS Values (and member of Audiokarma). The vintage 400 sounds sweet! I am hoping to acquired a nice vintage pair of EMI (made in England) Speakers tomorrow. EMI Speakers have some sort of connection with Abbey Road Studios/Beatles. Oooh, the Schick type B is sort of in a "holding pattern" for the time being. I'm hoping I can make it a "done" deal.

SixCats!

Top Bottom