What's new

Rabbit Hole Whiskey Worth $1.5K a Bottle?

Not that I belong to this camp, but I sense there may be a few here at B&B who wouldn’t flinch at a $1500 bottle any more than they would a $2200 Bottom Dial. If that’s what they wanted, they’ve the money for it. It seems the OP was merely seeking someone’s personal experience with Rabbit Hole Whiskey. I have no experience with it. Hms123 got close. ByMyBeard offered solid advice. And I think everyone here offered their comments with good intentions as we are a polite and helpful bunch. However, I think only you can decide if it’s worth it to you. Obviously, a sample would help, as well as opinions from those who have sampled it before; but remember….just like great tools for great shaves, YMMV. One of the great things about this forum is the wisdom shared freely amongst the members. This doesn’t always translate into absolutes. We might all hate it; while you find it the best ever to celebrate your event. Just my two cents. Salud!

Curly

I recall back in the early 90's, when I was young, rich, gay and better looking, a good friend of mine who owned an excellent bar came back from an antiques hunt in Normandy with a a few bottles of excellent 1934 calvados. He sold it for, as I remember at £20 for a generous glass to his regulars. I do recall I got mine at a good discount.

A lovely experience, a pale almost transparent spirit with a hint of amber. A very smooth finish, although it hit like a sledgehammer.

I remember that I primarily enjoyed the idea of the sun that summer of 1934 ripening the fruit. That was a nice thought.

My only encounter with a premium happy juice.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm boring AND cheap. $1500 I could afford, but I'm a beer guy. And nowadays my comfortable limit is 8 or 12 ounces!

But I'm all for celebrating relationships. If you have the folding money, and you ain't breaking into the kids piggy banks, or skipping an unpaid bill.....well, the day will be here before you know it when one of that circle of friends has gone on to meet their reward, maybe even you yourself, and the last thing on your mind will be that $1500.

I'm boring AND cheap. $1500 I could afford, but I'm a beer guy. And nowadays my comfortable limit is 8 or 12 ounces!

But I'm all for celebrating relationships. If you have the folding money, and you ain't breaking into the kids piggy banks, or skipping an unpaid bill.....well, the day will be here before you know it when one of that circle of friends has gone on to meet their reward, maybe even you yourself, and the last thing on your mind will be that $1500.
Well spoken, Sir!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Why spend $1500 on a bottle of booze?
One could ask why buy a Harley when a moped would get you where you need to go?
Why buy a landscaped property with a pool when a flat above a garage would provide shelter and a place to sleep?
Never confuse need with want, never confuse must have with nice to have.
If you can afford it, and you want it, that's all the justification you need.
Don't spend one moment of your golden years wishing you had gone ahead and done something, especially on the advice of someone to whom it didn't have the same meaning.
If the mortgage isn't being paid, or the kids don't have shoes - that's an entirely different matter.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Never confuse need with want, never confuse must have with nice to have.
If you can afford it, and you want it, that's all the justification you need.
Don't spend one moment of your golden years wishing you had gone ahead and done something, especially on the advice of someone to whom it didn't have the same meaning.

Yes but ...

... I tend to look at the bang/buck ratio in my overall spending. I'd get far more benefit from putting $1400 of that $1500 on a family vacation and just get a $100 bottle of good Canadian whisky and leave it at that. Add on to that my innate unwillingness to pay a "taking the p!$$ premium" even if I can afford it.

Take wristwatches for example. I like the price/quality level I find at $150--$300 Seiko/Citizen/Orient watches. And usually the quartz/solar ones at that. Now, if I had $10 million coming to me in a lottery winnings next week, I'd probably buy a Grand Seiko. If I had Elon Musk money I could see maybe getting one of those fancy swiss watches. But am I ever going to spend $100 on a cheap quartz watch that has a $90 mark-up because it has a "cool" brand name on it? Not even if I had Elon money would I do that.

But that's just me.

1653346573142.png

Methinks there is reason it is called Rabbit Hole.

1653345630299.png

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Yes but ...

... I tend to look at the bang/buck ratio in my overall spending. I'd get far more benefit from putting $1400 of that $1500 on a family vacation and just get a $100 bottle of good Canadian whisky and leave it at that. Add on to that my innate unwillingness to pay a "taking the p!$$ premium" even if I can afford it.

Take wristwatches for example. I like the price/quality level I find at $150--$300 Seiko/Citizen/Orient watches. And usually the quartz/solar ones at that. Now, if I had $10 million coming to me in a lottery winnings next week, I'd probably buy a Grand Seiko. If I had Elon Musk money I could see maybe getting one of those fancy swiss watches. But am I ever going to spend $100 on a cheap quartz watch that has a $90 mark-up because it has a "cool" brand name on it? Not even if I had Elon money would I do that.

But that's just me.

View attachment 1460731

View attachment 1460720
No argument there at all.
But, again - that's what you want.
Me personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of green on a bottle of whisky, but - I'm not the one who wants it either!

Well I missed the boat on this one dragging my feet; it sold this past weekend. My store only had a single allocation. Good news, they have a couple of other rare bottles filling the hole on the shelf.
Possum,

As noted earlier, I’m not a whiskey/whisky drinker of any note. But I do have a good friend who’s a whiskey/whisky connoisseur who recently introduced me to this:
2ADD6072-2CB4-46FE-B939-EC9478B8C25E.jpeg

It wasn’t even remotely close to his most expensive bottle, but it was one of his favorites.

As a non-whiskey/whisky drinker/aficionado, I found it extraordinary. What a wonderful maple finish with a smooth front-end. I liked it so much, I bought a bottle for $129, which is at least $75 more per bottle than I ever paid for any whiskey/whisky.

That said, my point is the old adage, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. Or as in B&B, YMMV. It would seem to me, the best way to celebrate your event is with something you truly enjoy drinking and sharing, regardless of price.

I once had a glass of 1957 Chateau Lafite Rothschild as a dinner toast from my wife’s father, who had more money than sense. Whether it was to impress me, or his business guests, I’ll never know. But I didn’t enjoy the Rothschild as much as I did a $25/bottle Louis Jadot Pinot Noir. She’s my ex-wife now. New bride loves Louis Jadot Pinot Noir. Morale of the story: “Don’t buy something based solely on price to impress, buy what makes you happy, regardless of price”.

Just my two cents and whiskey/whisky under the bridge. Because all we really do with whiskey/whisky it is: rent it.

Best Wishes and Good Luck!

Curly Out

Top Bottom