What's new

Rabbit Air air purifier

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I asked about this back in 2020 and got a few replies but lets hash this out again.

Does anyone here have the Rabbit Air air purifier? If so does it work and would you recommend it?

Nothing I would love more than to kick back in the man cave and smoke a cigar (or maybe even a pipe) in the comfort of 70 degrees climate controlled environment when it’s 15 degrees and feels like -10 with the windchill outside. Alas, the smoke lingering in the air and collecting on everything and stinking up the place has squashed my ideal relaxing evening.

But! Is there hope with the Rabbit Air?? I’ve watched a few YT reviews and for the most part they all give it very positive reviews. With the caveat that the smoke will stick to the walls and soak in to any fabrics in the room (rugs, clothes, furniture).

I’m not an every day smoker. During the summer when it’s convenient probably 2-3 times a week. During the winter when it’s cold as ____ outside maybe once a month on the nice day. But, I imagine if I can smoke indoors it would probably go back to 2-3x a week.

So here is what I’m thinking -

If I smoke 2-3 cigars a week
If I have the Rabbit Air on and running and leave it running for 24hrs afterwards
If I buy an ozone generator to take care of the lingering smell in fabrics and run that maybe once a week, or every other week, or just when things are noticeably stinky

You reckon this would work? Or be the best option?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The ozone generator is very effective at removing any organic odor.
But, you can't be anywhere around when it is running or about an hour or two after it's done.
There are some reports that ozone generators are not kind to rubber/plastic surfaces and can weaken them in the long term.
It'll kill any living thing, plants included. There is also indication that it can shorten the lifespan of many fabrics, so be careful around them.
Having said that, my wife is a clean freak, and we use it several times a year with (so far) no ill effects.

Sorry I can't speak for the Rabbit, we have a UV light and carbon Micron filter on the intakes of the furnace / AC which helps, and we run a large Alen Breathesmart HEPA purifier downstairs and a small one upstairs. They work pretty well and have LED lights that indicate the particulate level in the air where it's running.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The ozone is what I know least about but reading up on it tells me it’s very effective with odors. The room is roughly 350sq ft. So picking an ozone that will work in that might be tough. I found one on Amazon that is good for 2000sq ft. Probably overkill, but it has a timer so I can simply run it for a shorter period of time.

Plus I have to take in to account that the house is never empty. Dogs, and people always here. I can close the door to the man cave, put a sign up that says DO NOT ENTER FOR X HOURS and that should take care of the people/pets danger. There is also 2 air ducts that run in to the man cave. So not sure how that would affect the operation either.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The ozone is what I know least about but reading up on it tells me it’s very effective with odors. The room is roughly 350sq ft. So picking an ozone that will work in that might be tough. I found one on Amazon that is good for 2000sq ft. Probably overkill, but it has a timer so I can simply run it for a shorter period of time.

Plus I have to take in to account that the house is never empty. Dogs, and people always here. I can close the door to the man cave, put a sign up that says DO NOT ENTER FOR X HOURS and that should take care of the people/pets danger. There is also 2 air ducts that run in to the man cave. So not sure how that would affect the operation either.
When I use ours, everyone is out of the house for the duration. Plants outside or in the garage near a cracked garage door.
Dogs go with us. If we run it for an hour down in the basement, and come back an hour after shutdown, you can smell strong ozone smell upstairs, even though they are two different heating duct systems.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hmm. Probably not a good idea for ozone around here then.
Don't run it in the winter, and in the spring through fall, put the animals outside for a couple hours.
Any being with any intelligence is going to rip through the walls if necessary to get away from that smell.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Don't run it in the winter, and in the spring through fall, put the animals outside for a couple hours.
Any being with any intelligence is going to rip through the walls if necessary to get away from that smell.
just not feasible to do that around here. 5 of us that live here, plus a dog and a cat.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think if you stay right by the purifier, and all the smoke from the cigar and your puffing goes straight into it, it should work pretty well. If it’s across the room some smoke will permeate soft surfaces before it is scrubbed out by the purifier. Then the question is how un-stinky must the room be for it to be considered effective.

If a little bit of stink is ok, then I say go for it. Once you get married and the spouse has a zero-stink tolerance you will be outside 100% like the rest of us.

I don't have one but a couple of guys at the cigar shop have them for their smoking rooms and swear by the Rabbit Air. Another cigar shop in town has 4 running in the shop to help keep it down. That shop does not smell like men have been smoking pipes and cigars in it since the early 50's.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Late to this thread, but I don’t post here much anymore. I have had a Rabbit Air for quite a few years. I frequented here often several years back and built a pretty decent tobacco cellar with about 3 years of age on most of my stuff.

My wonderful wife allowed me to smoke pipes in the den with the Rabbit Air. In my personal experience of it’s use, most of my pipe smoking in the den is done in the evening on cold winter nights. Warmer months are still outside.

I can tell you, the Rabbit Air does excellent in clearing out the smoke odor’s of Virginia’s, Va/Per’s and most of the lighter Burley’s. Usually, I can walk into the den the next morning and with the rabbit air running all night those tobacco blend odors are gone.

And while it does work well on most English Lat blends as well overnight, some of the heavier Latakia blends may take a 24 hour period to clear out.

However this experience of mine with the Rabbit Air, isn’t from partaking of the pipe inside the den every night. I am a very occasional smoker, so that is to be considered into how well or not the Rabbit Air performs.

I had a very bad go around with the first wave of Covid in the lungs back in 2020 and it pretty much saddled my smoking days for good I thought. Sold the Cellar and most of my pipes and other pipe paraphernalia and wasn’t planning on coming back.

I still lurk here all the time and enjoyed the pipe vicariously thru members here. I still was missing the ritual and flavor of pipe smoking, so quite a few months back, I picked up another pipe and cigar lighter but wanting to stay minimalist with my tobacco use, I purchase a Missouri corn cob, one for each blend of Virginia/Burley, Va/Per, Lat/Oriental. I also have just been purchasing Missouri Meerschaum’s blends of tobaccos in the above flavors and representations. They’re not that expensive and are blended by Russ Ouellette.

I can keep it minimalist and still enjoy the nuances of each blend. My pipe smoking is so parsed out; sometimes I might enjoy once a week, sometimes once a month. But it usually is when I just am absolutely feeling it and usually it’s when I am also endulging an adult beverage with it. Few and far between, pretty much like my posts here.

While I don’t have much to offer here anymore, I am here quite a bit reading, learning and still enjoying what everyone else is doing and saying in the Brown Leaf. :)

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Late to this thread, but I don’t post here much anymore. I have had a Rabbit Air for quite a few years. I frequented here often several years back and built a pretty decent tobacco cellar with about 3 years of age on most of my stuff.

My wonderful wife allowed me to smoke pipes in the den with the Rabbit Air. In my personal experience of it’s use, most of my pipe smoking in the den is done in the evening on cold winter nights. Warmer months are still outside.

I can tell you, the Rabbit Air does excellent in clearing out the smoke odor’s of Virginia’s, Va/Per’s and most of the lighter Burley’s. Usually, I can walk into the den the next morning and with the rabbit air running all night those tobacco blend odors are gone.

And while it does work well on most English Lat blends as well overnight, some of the heavier Latakia blends may take a 24 hour period to clear out.

However this experience of mine with the Rabbit Air, isn’t from partaking of the pipe inside the den every night. I am a very occasional smoker, so that is to be considered into how well or not the Rabbit Air performs.

I had a very bad go around with the first wave of Covid in the lungs back in 2020 and it pretty much saddled my smoking days for good I thought. Sold the Cellar and most of my pipes and other pipe paraphernalia and wasn’t planning on coming back.

I still lurk here all the time and enjoyed the pipe vicariously thru members here. I still was missing the ritual and flavor of pipe smoking, so quite a few months back, I picked up another pipe and cigar lighter but wanting to stay minimalist with my tobacco use, I purchase a Missouri corn cob, one for each blend of Virginia/Burley, Va/Per, Lat/Oriental. I also have just been purchasing Missouri Meerschaum’s blends of tobaccos in the above flavors and representations. They’re not that expensive and are blended by Russ Ouellette.

I can keep it minimalist and still enjoy the nuances of each blend. My pipe smoking is so parsed out; sometimes I might enjoy once a week, sometimes once a month. But it usually is when I just am absolutely feeling it and usually it’s when I am also endulging an adult beverage with it. Few and far between, pretty much like my posts here.

While I don’t have much to offer here anymore, I am here quite a bit reading, learning and still enjoying what everyone else is doing and saying in the Brown Leaf. :)

You have a lot to offer man. Come by more often!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have the rabbit and it does a good job in the basement but nowhere near what the Csonka air purifier does for cigar smoke.

Agreed. My Rabbit seems to handle pipe tobacco’s well except for the stronger Lat’s.
And If the cigar is small like an AF Short Story or a lighter leaf like a Connecticut Nub, I can get away with it, if the Rabbit Air is left running a couple of days.
But a strong 6 inch Maduro? I dunno…. :)

Agreed. My Rabbit seems to handle pipe tobacco’s well except for the stronger Lat’s.
And If the cigar is small like an AF Short Story or a lighter leaf like a Connecticut Nub, I can get away with it, if the Rabbit Air is left running a couple of days.
But a strong 6 inch Maduro? I dunno…. :)
The Csonka does an amazing job on the residual cigar smell. They used to also have a version for the car. Actually the only me thing that really reduced the lingering cigar smell was my wife saying no more “man cave” and absolutely no smoking in my car.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The Csonka does an amazing job on the residual cigar smell. They used to also have a version for the car. Actually the only me thing that really reduced the lingering cigar smell was my wife saying no more “man cave” and absolutely no smoking in my car.
We all have to make decisions about what hill to die on, and what we're willing to compromise on for the sake of good will.

Top Bottom