What's new

Raadvad DE razor, anyone..?

Gentlemen --
I have been shaving with my new Raadvad Mejeskær now, and I want to provide this forum with some idea of its performance. This is the kind of thing I really wanted to be able to find myself on this forum when I was looking for the Raadvad razor, so, here goes.

I find it both very smooth and very efficient. It is not exactly a mild razor, it's fairly aggressive in fact, feels like it has a fair amount of blade exposure, but it is somehow mellowed out, given proper technical ability of the user, so that it feels very smooth.
To compare it randomly with just a few better known razors, it is way smoother than, say, the Muhle R41 or the Merkur Futur, and a little higher on the efficiency / aggression scale than a Fatip OC. Among razors I use regularly, I think it comes closest to somewhere in-between the Merkur 37C, and the Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant (PBOCS). Smoothness akin to the Merkur, blade exposure and efficiency akin to the PBOCS. It is also roughly comparable to the Razorock LUPO .72 which I use on a regular basis, in terms of both smoothness and efficiency.

This verdict is just based on one shave, my first shave with this razor. I am not planning to post further follow-ups. I find these kinds of things to be quite subjective anyway, to some extent even within my own experience from one day to the next. I just wanted to provide a basic sense of how this thing shaves, given that I really wanted to know myself.

One other thing that deserves mention. Part of the reason I was attracted to this razor, was it's looks, giving off an air of being a specimen of high level craftsmanship (as is the case with vintage Raadvad products more generally). For this razor, I can only say that I have not been disappointed. It resembles a Merkur 34 or 37 in design and proportions, but it is slightly heavier, seems a little more "precision made" (machined?) just a little better made than the Merkurs. One detail I think reflects this, is the way you attach/detach top plate (in contrast to the 2-piece Merkur 34 and 37, the Raadvad is a 3-piece razor). The threading is "closer" on the Raadvad, meaning that you have to twist the screw-knob more times to fasten the top cap and blade, than is the case on the Merkurs. As a consequence, it also feels like you can adjust this more minutely on the Raadvad, and it just adds to giving the Raadvad this feel of high level craftsmanship.

As for the equipment for today's shave, I reached for some of my top-of-the-shelf go-to products, to best be able to assess this razor and compare it with what else I am familiar with.

BRUSH: Omega 10066 Boar
SOAP: Cella (Brick)
RAZOR: Raadvad Mejeskær (Danish made 1930s vintage DE slant)
BLADE: Gillette Rubie (1st)
A/S: cold rinse, Alum block, Myrsol Metisol
OUTCOME: 9 out of 10, nearly BBS, no nicks or burns, my usual routine, 3 pass shave plus one touch-up pass on dry skin.

sotd_raadvad_01.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom