What's new

R89 , Whats next?

After using the R89 only for about a year i managed to get the angle right and shaves have been comfortable (no sting).
Now i really love the R89 but i still have some stubble left that i can't remove or i need to overpass to get them.
I am looking for a new razor to replace my R89. And i am in need of some reccomendations. I also like the feel of the R89, i don't know if i can call it almost no bladefeel?
I am looking for a closed comb, Brands i often see in the forums and peaked my interests are :
Timeless
Blackland
Razorock
Tatara

I don't have any razors that cost more than $40 USD. The only razor I have in your list of brands is the aluminum Lupo, which (according to RazoRock's chart) is a bit more "aggressive" than the DE89/R89 head. The minor complaint I've seen about this razor is that it's lightweight,it's quite a good performing razor for me. I don't have experience with any other RazoRock razors or any of the other razors you mentioned.

There are many options. My way took me back to the R89 recently. Years I didn't like it but now.. Perfect.
The Yaqi Adjustable shaves very similar, just a tad more at lowest setting.
The Yaqi scalloped head (R89 clone) is similar too but a bit more aggressive.
The Razorock Gamechanger 68 is very mild too, shaves a bit different.
The Razorock Lupo 58 just arrived in my den and it offers a bit more blade feel than the R89, but less than the Yaqi scalloped, shaves smooth and safe due to the small blade gap. Very nice, close shaves. More efficient than the gamechanger 68.
In these days these are my favourites in that range of shavers

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I am a massive fan of the Rex Ambassador now!

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

The Rex Ambassador is a high end adjustable razor, made of 316L brushed stainless steel. It weighs in at 3.7 ounces, making it a heavy razor. It has a medium length super grip textured handle. Nothing about this razor feels cheap! The bottom knob when unscrewed, releases the top cap and blade for removal and re-installation. The upper knob on the handle, adjust the blade aggression, settings available 0.5 to 6.5.

This razor can take any standard DE razor blade, making it a versatile razor indeed. So far, I've tried out Feather blades and Bic Chrome Platinum blades in my Rex Ambassador, and while Feather's are indeed sharper, I prefer the Bic's for smoothness and longer lasting. This razor pretty much uses the standard DE angle technique of most. Its not like the Feather AS-D2 where you have to ride the cap all the time.

Because of the super grip texture on the handle, my wet fingers do not slip holding the handle! The balance of the razor is pretty good. While many consider this an aggressive razor, its important to note, that when you have the razor set to the level 1 settings, its as mild as any mild razor to be honest. Having adjustability, means I can adjust my shave, which is what I always do.

I typically do all my WTG passes on the level 4 settings to remove the bulk. Then I follow up with ATG passes on setting levels 1 and 2. I also typically do 2-day stubble shaves with this razor, I don't shave everyday. However, most recently, I decided to take the weekend off shaving, so on Monday, I will have 4-day stubble. And I will put the Rex Ambassador to the test, especially with a 4th use on the same Bic blade!

Each Rex Ambassador razor, uses the old Gillette serial number identification standard. So there will be no question as to what razor you have! And Rex Supply Co offers a lifetime warranty on their razors, so the CEO Matt, at Rex, should always have you covered. Yes, this razor costs a lot of money, but its worth every dollar you spent for it.

Consider purchasing at New England Shaving to get a discount when signing up to their mailing service, to reduce the price on the Rex Ambassador further, if you should consider purchasing this razor. But I have to tell you, after putting a dozen shaves on this new razor of mine, I can't recommend it enough. 5 out of 5 stars!

The Pearl Flexi (adjustable) seems to be the poor man's Rex Ambassador. Might be worth a try.

I have a Merkur Progress and an EJ DE89 (= R89, I think). The Progress on "1" is a little bit gentler than the DE89; on "6", it's way more aggressive. So it will cover the range you want to be in.

. Charles

After using the R89 only for about a year i managed to get the angle right and shaves have been comfortable (no sting).
Now i really love the R89 but i still have some stubble left that i can't remove or i need to overpass to get them.
I am looking for a new razor to replace my R89. And i am in need of some reccomendations. I also like the feel of the R89, i don't know if i can call it almost no bladefeel?
I am looking for a closed comb, Brands i often see in the forums and peaked my interests are :
Timeless
Blackland
Razorock
Tatara
Wait. Not so fast. The Muhle R89 was slightly too mild for my tough old whiskers, but I found placing 2 shims under the working blade is flat out perfect aggression for me and the R89. You might try a shim or two first, before throwing money at an additional razor. The Muhle /R89 is a razor that is great and beautiful.

Great recommendations above!

I also suggest considering a Slim or FatBoy (great adjustable razors) if you are considering vintage, or perhaps a FatTip if you wish to consider a reasonably priced current production razor. Either approach should help you decide where you wish to go (or not).

Timeless
Blackland
Razorock
Tatara
So I have three (3) of those you mentioned.

Timeless Bronze SB .38; as nicely built razor in my den and VERY good shaver.
Rozorock SLOC; probably the best shaving vs cost of all my razors; amazing.
Tatara Muramasa; super quality construction and unique adjustment mechanics...have only used once but will be a great shaver.

So having said the above at this time I am really most impressed with my:
Karve Overlander (best combo of smooth/efficient) and my
Wolfman WR2 SB .95 with WRH1 hollow in Basic Brushed (just a dream machine)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
This would have been my suggestion, it's a great razor in its own right.
View attachment 1442644
View attachment 1442645

* Vintage Thick SS Handle

Ooooo, shinny! Looks like brushed metal, is it aluminum, or stainless steel, or chrome plated steel? And yes, look at that thick handle, and quality textured grip that reminds me of the Feather AS-D2, very nice, good knurling. And razor head isn't a chunker it looks like, so its gonna get under that nose ok.

The Rex Ambassador offers me a bit of a challenge in that regard, it likes to test my resolve, but when it comes to whisker removal under the nostrils, I will have them! Thanks for sharing the pretty vintage razor, I like it.

Ooooo, shinny! Looks like brushed metal, is it aluminum, or stainless steel, or chrome plated steel? And yes, look at that thick handle, and quality textured grip that reminds me of the Feather AS-D2, very nice, good knurling. And razor head isn't a chunker it looks like, so its gonna get under that nose ok.

The Rex Ambassador offers me a bit of a challenge in that regard, it likes to test my resolve, but when it comes to whisker removal under the nostrils, I will have them! Thanks for sharing the pretty vintage razor, I like it.
That is the .84 Game Changer - CnC 316L SS
Vintage thick handle is the same composition
IMG_6883.JPG

* (Feather AS-D2 on the right for handle comparison)

If you're looking for the no blade feel and good shave then get the Henson (go with the medium). Otherwise get a Yates 921 with both the M and the H plates on their combo package.

Top Bottom