What's new

R89 Head is too thick for under nose. What's an alternative?

I've recruited a work buddy into the hobby, so I would have someone to visit with on wet shaving. Seriously, I've got no one to talk to about it.

Well, he's hooked. I started him on my Muhel R89 Twist. He likes the shave, but the thickness of the head bothers him under the nose. It never bothered me, so I don't know how to advise him. I am going to loan him an English flat-bottom tech and flat-bottom New.

For you guys who feel the same about thick-head razors, what did you do? Modern or vintage.

Thanks.

Get a new nose? Get a new friend? :001_302:

Yeah, I think a tech would have to be a good place to start.

A few extra scrapes, slight pressure, and additional concentration have solved any problem I had with a razor under my nose.

Tell him to develop a technique for shaving under the nose?

The head on the R89 isn't that big. I had a similar reaction to the Fatboy when I shaved for the first few times with the razor. I thought it was going to be impossible to shave under my nostrils.

My Lord Fresh L125 (newer version of L6) is my most maneuverable razor. The Lord L5 has a smaller head but can be a bit harsh at some angles.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I only had a few shaves with a post war Tech, but compared to my Gillette Rocket I didnt even notice the Tech on my upper lip. I do with the Rocket though.

One way I get around this problem (I think all DEs will be more difficult around the nose than a cartridge, by design) is to not shave completely vertical under the nose. I tend to attack the moustache area at an angle to the nose, especially on the WTG pass. This makes it easier to get all the hairs right under the nose, at least on my face.

If I can get under my honker with an Ever Ready 1914 that has the blade a half furlong back from the comb, I don't see how a piddly little DE could cause problems with the cap.
Shove the node to the side and contort face more.

One way I get around this problem (I think all DEs will be more difficult around the nose than a cartridge, by design) is to not shave completely vertical under the nose. I tend to attack the moustache area at an angle to the nose, especially on the WTG pass. This makes it easier to get all the hairs right under the nose, at least on my face.

I do the same, so I dont really understand the problem. Of, course, there is alway the YMMV explanation.

I think it best to help him find a thin headed razor

Never had an issue with the DE89 under the nose and the cap is not particularly thick. It does need a steep angle for the WTG pass. The following passes clear the stubble.
I suppose 2 x XTG passes and a final ATG pass will do the job under the nose if it really is a problem.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Gillette Super Speed heads might be just what you are looking for. The black handle version has a particularly slim head.

Top Bottom