What's new

R41

I found a good use for my Derby blades. I can use the R41 with a Derby and efficiently cut off a three day beard for a BBS shave! Also works great with any blades, including Feathers! I normally use a less aggressive razor go’s one or two day growth. Experiment, I think you’ll like it!

The Black Friday deal reminded me I've always wanted to try an R41, so I jumped.
My current favorite DE is an EJ 3one6...

It's the exact opposite in my case: I've had the R41 for ages and I bought an EJ 3ONE6 for Black Friday.

The R41 has lots of blade feel, which is both good and bad. It's fabulous for a 1-2 day beard. 3 and longer, you're better off with a Slant. It is so efficient, that I'd say it can just be too efficient. Meaning when I pair it with an extremely sharp blade like a Feather or a Nacet, I get a really smooth face for 36 hours. That kind of throws off my shaving schedule.

Apart from that, I'd say this razor requires some time to get the hang of, but its really worth the effort. My 39c gives a better shave, but requires some really good prep, really good blade and really good lathering. But this one, good lather, bad lather, no lather, it will just cut like a SoB.

Especially if you opt for trying the steep angle (which many R41 users finds most comfortable), you need a bit sharper blades than in other razors or it will tug. While it might sound scary considering the blade exposure, it is quite safe still. My 13 years old son recently shaved with it without any nicks and I have shaved other people with it too. I find that the risk of nicking oneself increases with the dullness of blade because when it begins to tug badly the precision is lost.

I use it often with a smooth blade (rapira plat lux, voskhod, etc.) the head doesn't bend the blade too much, and I think this forces you to keep an open angle otherwise the razor will pull rather than cut.

I like it but everything must be on point in the process, to give out a comfortable shave. But when the stars align is one of the best shaves I can get :)

Beautiful razor, gives a beautiful shave, shaved 5 days in a row with a feather and not a speck of blood, felt like I had run a marathon. Now use it very occasionally for variety sake, but too much work. That said many say they like it and use it as a daily, or almost daily driver.

One of the few benefits of COVID 😯 is that I can take my time most mornings. This might be a good time to give the R41 a shot as I can take my time to experiment rather than rushing through the mornings shave half asleep.

I should have my first shave in about a week.

Be careful! The R41 is definitely worth a try IMO.

It was just a bit too much for this old guy, so mine moved on. But it was an interesting razor.

Reactions: Avi
I've been hitting up the R41 Clone that arrived a couple weeks back, and have really come to like the little bugger. In another thread I see that the one two comparisons I've seen indicated more blade feel and nicks with the clone, yet I get more nicks/cuts and weepers with my Timeless 95 OC. - Not sure I've seen a nick, cut, or weeper with the R41 Clone since I began using it, maybe it's the blade feel that keeps me from applying add'l pressure, as a reminder.

My question is, anybody have both, and how similar do they actually shave? Amazon has been sporadically running 20% off specials on the R41, and it's temping, although I need another razor, like a need a hole in my head, but there's high temptation there.

First shave with the new R41 this morning. I whipped up a nice Haslinger lather and dropped a new Gillette Yellow in the R41. 3 days growth I went for a 3 pass shave. The first pass was fine, I played with angles a bit but mostly rode the cap. Second pass I noticed how much blade feel their is and proceeded cautiously but never felt terribly concerned. Not quite to BBS I went for a third pass which was also uneventful. BBS was mostly achieved although a few areas needed a bit of touch up, which I didn't do. I'm sure the razor is efficient enough for full BBS after three passes and blame the rough patches on me playing around with angles a bit.

Overall a fine first shave and an interesting razor. Certainly not a razor for beginners to DE's or sensitive skin, but not something to fear either. I think it will provide an excellent shave once I get my technique dialed in and find the best blade. At first blush I think the Yellow will not be the go-to blade for the R41. I've got a couple Wilkies, a Feather, Astra, and Kai waiting in the dugout.

I'm looking forward to getting this legendary razor dialed in to my tastes. Thanks all for your advice, its much appreciated.

Cheers!

Hope you enjoy your ourney with the R41 as much as I did.

The R103 (faux tortoise shell handle) has been in my regular rotation for about a year but over the last few weeks it's been my daily driver. The shaves have been stellar and my skin has never looked or felt better (I'm very prone to blemishes/spots).

In fact I enjoyed it so much that I fell out of the 2021 Purchasing Sabbatical in order to buy the rose gold handled R41 🙂

The "bloodthirsty" reputation goes to the R41 version made between 2011-2013. In 2113 they redesigned it and made it milder. Now I would classify it as medium aggressive. If you like a Fatip or a Maggard V3A, you'll like the current R41.

I agree with Doug. I found that comfort and relaxation were out the window when I used this razor. I had it for a few years and sold it.

One anecdote about this razor. It was about seven years ago when I was living in FL. I had tried the R41 about a dozen times when we had house guests over. The male guest was an expert on everything. I was shaving when my wife texted me and said that Rick wanted to see what I was using to shave. My wife had told Rick's girlfriend - and a good friend of my wife - that I was a traditional shaver. Rick was present during the conversation. I was just finishing up when Rick spotted the R.41 and he asked to try it. I asked him if he knew how to shave with a DE, and being the expert he thought he was, he replied in the affirmative. I told him that this razor could bit and I would be happy to let him try another, easier razor, or I could show him how to use it. Of course, Rick said he could handle it with no problems. So, I cleaned up the razor and put in a fresh blade, and handed him the razor. He went to the guest bathroom and went to work. About 20 minutes later he joined us and his face looked like he went a few rounds with Mike Tyson when Mike was in his prime! Cut, scrapes, and irritation everywhere. Being the smart a__s that I was, I offered to sell him the R.41 at a discount so he could practice on it. For some reason, Rick didn't accept my generous offer.
I hope you had put a fresh Feather blade for Rick "the Expert" 😁 😂 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: KJI

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Received my R41 yesterday and had my first shave today. The R41s bloodthirsty reputation is certainly not deserved. Lathered up with MWF and ended up with a close comfortable shave and whilst not quite BBS that's probably down to my technique.
Fantastic razor

Top Bottom