What's new

R41, Which blade works best for you?

YMMV aside... I'm just curious to see if a particular blade gets the nod for use in Muhle R41. I'm getting the impression that many gents opt for a smoother blade rather than the sharper/aggressive options.

Depends on your objective. If you plan to dance cheek to cheek late into the night, then the least sharp smooth blade will give you the longest lasting BBS. If you want a super comfortable shave at the cost of some BBS longevity then the sharpest smooth blade will do that for you. Smooth is the common characteristic.

Depends on your objective. If you plan to dance cheek to cheek late into the night, then the least sharp smooth blade will give you the longest lasting BBS. If you want a super comfortable shave at the cost of some BBS longevity then the sharpest smooth blade will do that for you. Smooth is the common characteristic.

Aimsport... What blade do you use the most in the R41?

In no particular order these blades give me a smooth BBS in a 2013 R41.
Gillette Black, Polsilver SI, Permasharp, Gillette Silver Blue, Viking Sword.
The following also give me BBS shaves but with some tugging;
Feather, Personna Lab, Crystal.
Could not get Astras to work with the R41.

My definite number 1 for my R41 is Super Iridium. 2nd place goes to Gillette Silver Blue.

I find the R41 is very sensitive to blade choice.

Aimsport... What blade do you use the most in the R41?

Most of the time I want the longest lasting BBS, so Dorco.

If I want the most effortless shave, Super Iridium, Perma Sharp or Med Prep.

The Dorco is super smooth and its moderate sharpness allows just the right amount of tug to expose more hair for the second pass and give me a long lasting BBS; but not so close that I would get ingrown hairs. I recommend people be deliberate about tuning the sharpness to what works best for them by using blade choice. But its gotta be a smooth blade.

And please do not confuse my advocacy of the R41 2011 as some kind of superior expertise. Others have achieved the skill to get a great R41 2011 shave with most any soap and most any blade far faster than I have.

As for longest lasting BBS, there is nothing that compares to the R41 2011.

My R41 came with a Derby blade. Used it twice and threw it away. Just started using Gillette Silver Blue blades. Very sharp and work well on my tough beard. The only other blades that I have liked are Feathers and Personnas.

Astra SP are "okay" but not as good as the others. YMMV.

Gillette Silver Black is my favorite, sharp and smooth. Feathers were good, but a little rough on my neck. I didnt think they were worth their premium price. I am currently using a Rapira Super Stainless which I do like also.

For the limited time I got to use one, I'd say the SI and Feather were the best on the 2011 R41. But they only lasted a shave or two.

Worst (bar far) was the Derby. (The shave turned out fine, but it wasn't a pleasant experience.)

Gillette Silver Blue and Wilkinson Sword have been best so far for me. Supermarket Personnas are almost as good.

Feathers are too sharp, I think - I nicked myself a couple of times. Gillette Blacks are very sharp, but do not feel smooth at all. I still have Gillette Yellows and Greens to try, but I'd be surprised if they better the GSB.

Gillette Silver Blue and Polsilver SI work the best in my 2011 R41. I have tried feathers also, but they aren't as smooth as the other two.

I have had very good success with Gillette Blue Blades. They're crazy sharp when they are in pristine condition. But, just about everything I have tried works well, with maybe the exception being P74s.

Polsilver--smooth like a Personna medical prep but sharper.

proxy.php

Top Bottom