What's new

R41 versus Blackbird

I don't suggest these razors are at all similar, but wanted to give my thoughts on shaving comparisons. A few months back i got my hands on a polished SS blackbird and immediately loved it. I had been using the Muhle R41 on the regular before that with very mixed results- irritation and some level of discomfort was common especially if shaving every day. The blackbird changed all of that and i was able to shave every day with very little to no irritation or discomfort. Months later, said what the hell let's give the beast another shot- shaved like normal and my skin is hating me for it- but i noticed i could get a far closer shave than the blackbird, but at the expense of some irritation, burning, and a few micro cuts that did clear with allum block. I still think the R41 is a fine razor, but for me it's a far more rough shave than the blackbird. I like the fact that i can shave much closer with the R41 but it's not worth the discomfort, anyway. The issue is always on the ATG passes with the R41- it murders your skin whereas i can make comfortable passes ATG with the blackbird. Back to my Blackland Blackbird for now.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I don't suggest these razors are at all similar, but wanted to give my thoughts on shaving comparisons. A few months back i got my hands on a polished SS blackbird and immediately loved it. I had been using the Muhle R41 on the regular before that with very mixed results- irritation and some level of discomfort was common especially if shaving every day. The blackbird changed all of that and i was able to shave every day with very little to no irritation or discomfort. Months later, said what the hell let's give the beast another shot- shaved like normal and my skin is hating me for it- but i noticed i could get a far closer shave than the blackbird, but at the expense of some irritation, burning, and a few micro cuts that did clear with allum block. I still think the R41 is a fine razor, but for me it's a far more rough shave than the blackbird. I like the fact that i can shave much closer with the R41 but it's not worth the discomfort, anyway. The issue is always on the ATG passes with the R41- it murders your skin whereas i can make comfortable passes ATG with the blackbird. Back to my Blackland Blackbird for now.
I concur with your conclusions —the BB design is remarkable in that the narrow gap and slight blade exposure provide an efficient yet very mild shave.

Never tried the Blackbird, so cannot compare, have and use the R-41 - the least irritating shave I get with that razor is using a neutral angle, but at the trade off of a less close shave than with a steep angle. FWIW

My problem with the R41 is ATG- angle doesn't matter. Even if i ride the cap against the grain i get a great deal of blade chatter. I think its just the design of the top cap that allows the blade to move too much, and it's very obvious with ATG passes. WTG the razor is a gem- but need some ATG passes to get closer around my chin area.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

The Blackbird is an awesome razor! In my opinion, one of the best razors currently available. :)

I concur with your conclusions —the BB design is remarkable in that the narrow gap and slight blade exposure provide an efficient yet very mild shave.
I am on the Wolfman wait list and chose the WR2 1.25 SB. I think you own that razor head. How does it compare to the BB? More or less aggressive?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I am on the Wolfman wait list and chose the WR2 1.25 SB. I think you own that razor head. How does it compare to the BB? More or less aggressive?
I own both the WR2 1.25 SB and the Bird. The latter has a touch more blade feel and to some ‘feels’ more aggressive; but both are crazy smooth (steep angle). I don’t find them redundant because of the difference in how they shave, but the result is very similar.

what R41, 2011 or 2013?
There are a good difference between them.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

I had the R41 GS stainless and sold it because I found it too much. I love the blackbird and am getting some great shaves with it now I have improved my technique. I have a R41 twist which interestingly I can shave with and it doesn't appear as aggressive to me as the stainless version did.

Top Bottom