What's new

R41 (pre-2011) vs R41 (2011 and later.

I know I have a 2011 or a 2013, based on the pictures I have seen of the blade exposure I must have the 2013. I got it as a gift and it was from shaving.ie for Christmas last year

If there were a wetshaving Genie with three wishes I would wish:

1. the Personna74 DE back
2. Muhle resumes manufacturing of the 2011 r41 with a new unique model number.
3. soft water for all shavers worldwide

Here are my side by side comparison images of the 2009 R41 (Merkur sourced) open comb head and the 2011 Mühle toothcomb R41.

The open comb R41 came out in 2009. Thanks for getting it right, Chris. Why do so many people call it the 2010 R41?

Does anyone know of a good tutorial for making the kind of lather that works really well with the 2011 and 2013 R41s? I face-lather with an Arko stick and a few drops of glycerin added to the brush after starting the lather. (Have been aiming lately for a thick, very slick lather, but don't seem to be quite hitting it on either count.)

The open comb R41 came out in 2009. Thanks for getting it right, Chris. Why do so many people call it the 2010 R41?

OP here, and I call it the 2010 because that was the last year it was produced. This has turned into an interesting discussion and I think that I got my answer.
I am looking for another 2009 and it sounds like a Fatip might be it. I have about a 5 razor rotation now and I always look forward to returning to the R41. it for sure is the razor I pick up when I have about a 3 day growth. Those are some amazing photos Xillion.
Thanks to all who contributed.

OP here, and I call it the 2010 because that was the last year it was produced. This has turned into an interesting discussion and I think that I got my answer.
I am looking for another 2009 and it sounds like a Fatip might be it. I have about a 5 razor rotation now and I always look forward to returning to the R41. it for sure is the razor I pick up when I have about a 3 day growth. Those are some amazing photos Xillion.
Thanks to all who contributed.

Not used an R41 yet (til the kids come up with my birthday present), but inspired by this thread I just had an astoniahingly good shave with a Pilot (Mariner).
If you like aggression but with superb smoothness then the FaTip is definitely a winner.
I have not found any DE, vintage or modern that shaves so powerfully yet so comfortably.

Not used an R41 yet (til the kids come up with my birthday present), but inspired by this thread I just had an astoniahingly good shave with a Pilot (Mariner).
If you like aggression but with superb smoothness then the FaTip is definitely a winner.
I have not found any DE, vintage or modern that shaves so powerfully yet so comfortably.

I just ordered a Fatip and it's in the mail. I am really looking forward to it. I might have to take a look at the Pilot Mariner that you mention. Now quit it !!!
I had this RAD whipped until today !

I think you'll really enjoy the Fatip, It's one of my top three razors and outperforms many other razors twice its price. It might be a bit late, but I found the thread I referred to in my previous post (fair warning - the following link may negatively effect your bank account or be dangerous to those in remission from RAD!):

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...he-Fatip-razor-I-thought-it-was-made-in-Italy

The thread was posted by alex2363 who has provided this board with a wealth of information regarding these razors. The post with the image is the fourth post.

I think that I have the dates correct. Pre 2011 is full open comb, 2011 and later is the 1/2 open comb, 1/2 bar model.
I have read about different versions of the 2011+ but that does not interest me.

In my fumbling hands, the R41, I think pre 2011 is the one I have, a full open comb, is the best razor, bar none.

And try as I might I have not been quick enough to snag a 2nd one.
So, I thought I would give up and try the "new" R41..
Does anyone have both and use them regularly ?

How do they compare ?

thanks

I have the same Pre 2011 R41. You are right that it is one fine razor.... perhaps the very best open comb non-aggressive razor on the market. I believe that it is the R41 (2009 Model). As I understand it the head was made by Merkur for Muhle. I love mine so much I went ahead and purchased a Merkur 1904 (41C) on Amazon this past week. When it came, the shave was exactly like the Muhle as far as comfort and effectiveness. The Merkur model is quite small (short) compared to my Muhle and I think I prefer the Muhle version because of the longer handle. I also have and use the R41 (2011 Model). I've really grown to appreciate it despite it's aggressiveness. The most enjoyable shaves I have had lately are when I begin with my R41 (2009 Open Comb). I switch to my R41 (2011 Hybrid Comb) for the final pass. You would not believe how smooth and close the final result actually is. No weepers whatsoever or skin irritation. The final pass has to be made with ABSOLUTELY ZERO HEAD PRESSURE ON THE SKIN......NONE.... NADA.
Great razors, the both of them. I am very curious about the 2013 Model. I may just buy it one day to find out what the real difference is. I can't imagine it giving a closer shave even with the refinement Muhle did in the design.

Very accurate and well written article on the 2011 R 41. I own 2 of them myself and along with my Above The Tie Atlas "H"
razor, they are amongst my very favorites.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a good tutorial for making the kind of lather that works really well with the 2011 and 2013 R41s? I face-lather with an Arko stick and a few drops of glycerin added to the brush after starting the lather. (Have been aiming lately for a thick, very slick lather, but don't seem to be quite hitting it on either count.)

The slickest, most protective lather from my soaps/creams, comes from TABAC or C.O. Bigelow Cream. I usually use my Chubby 1 Best if I'm going to shave with the R41. It just seems to be fool proof. Cella makes excellent lathers but Tabac is the only lather that is like Teflon. The Bigelow seems more protective than my tube of Proraso, which is odd because Proraso packs the Bigelow tube. Also, to get this very, very slickest coating, I spend enough time working the brush in a bowl after I've loaded it from the Tabac Jar..... not a face lather for this razor.

Last edited:
The slickest, most protective lather from my soaps/creams, comes from TABAC or C.O. Bigelow Cream. I usually use my Chubby 1 Best if I'm going to shave with the R41. It just seems to be fool proof. Cella makes excellent lathers but Tabac is the only lather that is like Teflon. The Bigelow seems more protective than my tube of Proraso, which is odd because Proraso packs the Bigelow tube. Also, to get this very, very slickest coating, I spend enough time working the brush in a bowl after I've loaded it from the Tabac Jar..... not a face lather for this razor.

Thanks, Westaway; I have C.O. Bigegow cream and a puck of Tabac, as it happens. Haven't bowl lathered in a long time, but I'll try it again with the Tabac. It would fit right in with the no-long-soak, put the lather on and shave approach that aimsport recommends for the R41.

Last edited:
I have the same Pre 2011 R41. You are right that it is one fine razor.... perhaps the very best open comb non-aggressive razor on the market. I believe that it is the R41 (2009 Model). As I understand it the head was made by Merkur for Muhle. I love mine so much I went ahead and purchased a Merkur 1904 (41C) on Amazon this past week. When it came, the shave was exactly like the Muhle as far as comfort and effectiveness. The Merkur model is quite small (short) compared to my Muhle and I think I prefer the Muhle version because of the longer handle. I also have and use the R41 (2011 Model). I've really grown to appreciate it despite it's aggressiveness. The most enjoyable shaves I have had lately are when I begin with my R41 (2009 Open Comb). I switch to my R41 (2011 Hybrid Comb) for the final pass. You would not believe how smooth and close the final result actually is. No weepers whatsoever or skin irritation. The final pass has to be made with ABSOLUTELY ZERO HEAD PRESSURE ON THE SKIN......NONE.... NADA.
Great razors, the both of them. I am very curious about the 2013 Model. I may just buy it one day to find out what the real difference is. I can't imagine it giving a closer shave even with the refinement Muhle did in the design.

Now, that's interesting about the head on the Merkur 1904 (41C). I think I might have had that razor a long time ago but, as you say, the handle is far too short for my hands and I seem to remember it being kinda light. This was before I realized what a great head it had. The 2009 R41 Muhle OC, has it all together.
Hmmm, I bet I could get another handle to screw on to the 1904.

Top Bottom