What's new

R41... not as aggressive as I expected.

You should try it with many different blades before deciding about its aggressiveness. Also the R41 is not the perfect razor for a person who shaves twice a day. Trust me, the current R41 is more aggressive than the V3A.
The R41 is not the most aggressive razor. The R41 (2011) and the Fatip MK I are more dangerous

I've been shaving daily with the R41 for a week, and I've found the Astra SP to be the most satisfying blade so far. I love the Velcro-sounding feedback I get from the razor. I tried Wilkinson Sword once (left my skin irritated), and Israeli Personna once (I think the Astra SP is sharper). I'll be trying the Personna again tomorrow morning, and a Feather for the first time on Saturday. I've got others to try, too, but I'm betting it'll come down to the Astra or Feather for me.

I am quickly falling in love with R41. I think it has a very high chance to replace Variant as my favorite razor. It is very efficient and not at all harsh.

Good information here, thanks for sharing. As a V3A user, I'm always eye-balling the R41 as a step up in aggro but your experience says otherwise.

This jibes with my experience as well. I found the R41, the V3A, and the Fendrihan Mk. II Stainless to all be very similar in aggressiveness.

Good information here, thanks for sharing. As a V3A user, I'm always eye-balling the R41 as a step up in aggro but your experience says otherwise.

I’d say it’s even less aggressive (in feel) than V3A, and more efficient.

That said, my top three (well, almost four) razors at the moment - R41, Parker Variant and V3A/Yintal Brass - are all very close in performance. I‘d say, of these three, Variant at highest setting is probably the most aggressive with least aggressive feel, seems deceptively smooth while shaving, but will punish you for sloppiness, and V3A feels the most aggressive with a lot of blade feel, but is really pretty forgiving. What I love about R41 - so far - is that it’s incredibly efficient while also being fairly gentle. I used it over some recently irritated skin with zero issues. I am really falling in love with it. I can only imagine that its reputation as a face eater razor is due to the initial geometry flaws that were corrected in the 2013 redesign.

I think there‘s quite a few excellent razors on the market nowadays, and it’s especially impressive that many are new designs. (Well, probably modified old ones, but still...)

So far, out of the five new razors that I bought after graduating from the “mild Tech clones” club, four are so good that I would not hesitate to make either one of them my only razor (although, where’s fun in that?). The only one I am still figuring out is Razorock German 37 slant, which I haven’t been very happy with until I fed it a Derby Premium. That one seems to be very finicky about its blades. But R41... well that, so far, is a huge success !

How does this compare to the fatip open comb (new version)? Any comparison tests?
To me: R41 gives me a closer shave but has more blade feel. Both are good razors. I think the purpose of these is to avoid 3 passes...1-2 +- pickup.... or no buffing....

I had put away R89 and cousins....and now that the Gillette came out I used them all, and they are so mild...but after 3 passes the shave is OK. These 2 OC razors just get it done quicker! And yes, all the R89 and relatives are in a box again...

i still use 3 passes on the R41 but does result in lovely BBS, 3 passes with say a DE89 is a good shave but cannot get to the same level

Top Bottom