What's new

R41 new version ?

"When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?" (JM Keynes). Codster, thank you for the encouragement. I tried one more time and for the last two mornings have had a great shave from the R41 - entirely blood free. The reason? I lifted the end of the handle slightly so it became more perpendicular to my face, thus making the blade cut my hair rather than scrape it off. It still feels quite aggressive, but I think that it will become very manageable.

I still believe the R41 needs great lather though regardless of the angle.....

Well, after reading this thread, I think that a 2013 R41 is next on my list of "razors that I would like to acquire." And I just started with a Slant 2 days ago.

I think I have a bad case of RAD! :blushing:

Muhle 2013 R41 Grande from Connaught ordered (I'm assuming that I can interchange that handle with the regular handle on my Muhle R89).

Muhle 2013 R41 Grande from Connaught ordered (I'm assuming that I can interchange that handle with the regular handle on my Muhle R89).

Yup.
Only difference between the R41 and the R41 Grande is the handle. Same with the various part numbers that feature the black and white plastic.
The handle on my old Gold Tech works just fine with the head, so I'd imagine you could "Frankenrazor" pretty much anything together on that head.

I just ordered the 2013 R41 from connaught.

I currently shave everyday with a Merkur slant. How much of a difference is this going to be?

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I use mine everyday. Even bought a 2nd one just in case. I don't even think of using another razor. Enjoy yours. The 2011 R41Grande is incredible. For me of course

Used a 2013 this morning for the first time. You really feel the blade and if you don't have the right angle it grabs onto your whiskers. If you find the right angle then its a tight shave indeed. It will probably take me at least a week to get it down pat. The hard part is keeping that angle when going over the chin area since there is no flat area to fix the angle.

I do get better results with the old 2011 head. It is more forgiving in the angle. The 2013 takes new getting used to and is not as forgiving to the angle I find.

I posted more in a different thread, but comparing the 2013 R41 which I shaved with today only vs my Merkur 39c Slant which I have shaved with for a few weeks, the R41 shaves more closely but doesn't cut as easily as the Slant. This is tempered by my obvious lack of experience with either and lack of skill in general. :laugh:

I did not find the 2013 R41 particularly nick/cut/razorburn prone.

I find the slant cuts just so well, I think because the blade gets twisted/flexed and then can not wiggle or buffer for a lack of a better word. Slants are great.

Thread update - am delighted with my 2013 R41. Have been shaving with it for several weeks. Gets really close, surprisingly not lethal. I typically get 1 tiny nick each shave, which I attribute to my technique and probably rushing as well. Two thumbs up!

Top Bottom