What's new

R41 first shave today.

So my second post.In my first post, I mentioned I use an early Fatip Grande,with a 17.5mm top cap.Had it from new and it is all I use for face and head shaving.Can't remember how long I have owned this razor but its old.Very aggressive and efficient.
I have been wanting to try something else,just for the sake of it and have had an R41 urge for months,so just after my first post I went and ordered one from amazon.
My reasoning is,its cheap and I don't have to wait,being quite impatient.
It arrived today,so had to give it a little test drive.
Needed to shave my head today,so what better test.
Feather blade as always,Poraso green soap and a badger brush I can't remember what brand.
Nice shave,but not the beast I was expecting.I can confidently say my Fatip is more aggressive,both razors seem equal in smoothness,but the Grande seems to mow through my head stubble easier.
I wasn't expecting them to be that different to be honest and have always wanted to try a R41.I can see it becoming a regular.I have just used the Grande exclusively for years and it has become second nature to use.The Muhle is close but as I suspected its a sideways move,but not a bad move.
I feel an Ikon Tek might be worth trying.

Sounds like a Mk1 Grande...
There was an early, more aggressive, version of the R41 as well (pre 2013).
If you like bladefeel and don’t want to spend a fortune I can recommend the Yaqi Beast @ 5 bucks for the head only (beast in the back, R41 in the front).
E486A361-1526-4FBF-AEBC-0DB500728B6E.jpeg

I prefer efficient razors myself. My go to razor for many years has been the 2011 R41 that Multum mentions. It is indeed more efficient than the 2013 R41 design, which I also own.

I recently went looking for a substitute for my 2011 R41 and bought an Ikon Tek and a Stirling Stainless Steel razor and the Stirling is the one I keep coming back to. It is available with a standard head and a Hyper Aggressive head. I like the Hyper Aggressive head so much I haven't tried the standard head yet. I've got some Yaqi heads on order as well to try out, but I seriously recommend the Stirling HA and think it is unlikely another razor is going to unseat it.

The Stirling looks very interesting.Nicely made,and considering you own an ikon tek and prefer the Stirling has peaked my interest.I am in the UK and they don't ship internationaly,I need to see who will.

The Stirling looks very interesting.Nicely made,and considering you own an ikon tek and prefer the Stirling has peaked my interest.I am in the UK and they don't ship internationaly,I need to see who will.
I didn't dislike the Ikon Tek, and may come back to it again for another shave or two, but some combination of the finish of the metal and the markings on the comb made it a less than smooth shave for me. I do like the price, though. It also sounds interesting to my ear.

The Stirling just spoke to me. I posted a review of my first shave a few days ago.

I am going to send you a PM regarding shipping.

I didn't dislike the Ikon Tek, and may come back to it again for another shave or two, but some combination of the finish of the metal and the markings on the comb made it a less than smooth shave for me. I do like the price, though. It also sounds interesting to my ear.

The Stirling just spoke to me. I posted a review of my first shave a few days ago.

I am going to send you a PM regarding shipping.
I was just reading your review of the Stirling and immediately sent Stirling an email asking if anyone stocks the razor that ships internationally. I was close on buying a Tek but something is holding me back.

I'd like to weigh in in support of the Ikon Tek.
I bought one at the beginning of the year for a bit of variety. I too prefer aggressive/efficient razors and had seen this one pop up in many such discussions.
First use of it was a bit scary even compared to an early Fatip Piccolo and an R41 (2013) but passed without incident.
Recently I've taken to the idea of using a razor every day for a week before switching and when the Ikons turn came I confess to being apprehensive...
In truth each day has been an improvement as I gain familiarity with the razor and irritation free BBS is now being achieved in 2 passes.
I'll grant you it's not as smooth as my Fatip and I was a bit miffed to discover I have to manually align the blade but otherwise the construction and finish are superb.
As always, YMMV :)

Top Bottom