What's new

R.I.P. Chick Corea

I was just a kid trying to learn jazz piano in 1972 when Corea came out with the albums "Return to Forever" and "Light as a Feather." To say he was an influence on me would be a considerable under-statement.

He had a prolific career, mastering a diversity of styles and was a prime exponent of the fusion movement of the 1970's.
Perhaps eclipsed only by Joao Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim for injecting Latin sensibilities into jazz, he leaves behind an illustrious catalogue, an admirable musical legacy, and at least 23 Grammy awards, to say nothing of over 60 nominations.
And he may yet win more (posthumously), as he is nominated this year in two categories.

Does he deserve to be called a jazz legend?
I think he does now.

A fantastic artist. I saw him with Return to Forever & many years later as a solo pianist. A virtuoso, incredible talent. R.I.P. Chick Corea.

Light as a Feather was an album we had in our house that I gave a lot of play. Also, being a trombone player, Bill Watrous's cover of Spain was always a favorite (if you're a tbonist and haven't heard this you'll be impressed). Later, in college, I was doing a radio play of Alice in Wonderland. We would lay down vocals and the sound fx and music would be mixed in later. Hearing the broadcast I was pleasantly surprised to find the engineer had selected Corea's Alice in Wonderland for the music, very groovy. It made my hip cheshire cat all the more appropriate.

What a legend he was. Been listening to Chick for the last 34 years, since I was 9 years old. I grew up on Elektric Band. Such a sad day.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom