What's new

R.A.F. - Rocket Addiction Fraternity

@MitchellUK Yes it's from Razor Emporium. Uncirculated NOS. I'm not a collector, so I shaved with it. Nice smooth, mild shave.

Sent from my SM-T377W using Tapatalk
Superb example, enjoy. I'm with you on using razors, I had a Ranger Tech which appeared to be NOS but I use it, razors are not just to look at for me

Great catch @Hard_Shave. And welcome to the Fraternity! - I never heard about the ‘Giromatic’, wonder what that means?

I also use (almost) all my razors. Only 2 in my den that I am hesitant about and haven’t used yet is my pristine Rocket Red Tip (which I may try soon though, as this morning’s first shave with a new-to-me British Super-Speed RT was really good) and a gorgeous Apollo Mikron which I don’t dare use. All others are regular users :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Nice! Don't see too many blue tips, great collection. Have a favorite shaving wise?

Thanks Zed. I love the shaves from all, really hard to pick any favorite out... But hard pressed I would say the regular 1949 and the #58 are my favorite shavers - along with the #70 which seems to be called an Aristocrat but for what it’s worth sure looks like a HD/#58 with an even fancier handle :biggrin1:

PS. I have a good condition Paperclip set inbound as we speak :a14:

I'm reposting this as I never got a response on the other thread. Help anyone?

Here are a few pics of 3 Rockets I just got. They're my first Rockets and I think I have them identified.

The first pic shows 2 TV Specials flanking a 54' American FlareTip to show how much brighter the handles are in Rhodium. The second and third show a closer views. Am I correct?

The 3rd pic shows the 50's Regular Rocket. All three have Brit. Pat. 694093 inside the base plate and II stamped on the other side. I'm leaning towards calling the regular Rocket a 58' Parat.

It's a lot easier when they have cases or a date code. Thanks for your help.

Nice razors!!

As reply to your question I am a unsure though if both of your Flare Tip Rockets (pictured with the SS) are indeed TV Specials? - At least one of them thus seems to have both vertical and longitudinal lines in the knurling and I believe that TV Specials only have longitudinal lines? - I am travelling right now with no physical access to my razors but see this pic of my TV Special:

AC207EEA-BD19-47FA-89EF-E5B382F7BC48.jpeg

See also mr-razor:
10A785BC-623B-4875-BF8D-5A497C3ED485.png

I may be wrong though. And the TV’s shave no better than the regulars.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
My small collection of Rockets as my membership application into this fine fraternity. :)

A Parat that I inherited from my wife's father (who I unfortunately never met before he passed)
and
A Rocket Flare Tip that I picked up last weekend in an antique shop. Nearly passed it over because I initially thought it was a Superspeed and I already purchased one of those recently.

Rockets4.jpg

Something I did not notice until I saw this thread was that the rings in the handle knurling on the flare-tip Rockets and Super-Speeds get closer together towards the head. This in spite of me making a point of noting the differences in the knurling on Red / Regular / Blue Flare-tips, just to make it easier to spot a Regular that has been painted blue or red by an unscrupulous dealer.

I got a Flare-Tip Rocket (my one and only) some months ago at a flea market, as part of a lot of five razors for $30.
Actually it was four and two half razors, since the handle did not belong to the Goodwill head.
[edit] Three and four half razors. I just remembered that the aluminum handle on the Tech is from a Soviet-era Czech-made Soluna razor

At any rate, three of these razors (Single-Ring Old, Aristocrat Junior, and Flare-Tip Rocket) are now among the most-used in my razor rotation. They are just ... nice to use.

Last edited:
Something I did not notice until I saw this thread was that the rings in the handle knurling on the flare-tip Rockets and Super-Speeds get closer together towards the head. This in spite of me making a point of noting the differences in the knurling on Red / Regular / Blue Flare-tips, just to make it easier to spot a Regular that has been painted blue or red by an unscrupulous dealer.

I got a Flare-Tip Rocket (my one and only) some months ago at a flea market, as part of a lot of five razors for $30.
Actually it was four and two half razors, since the handle did not belong to the Goodwill head.
[edit] Three and four half razors. I just remembered that the aluminum handle on the Tech is from a Soviet-era Czech-made Soluna razor

At any rate, three of these razors (Single-Ring Old, Aristocrat Junior, and Flare-Tip Rocket) are now among the most-used in my razor rotation. They are just ... nice to use.

Yup, my Flare Tip Rocket also came to me by chance and I thought whatever let’s try it. And here we are, smitten with those things. I think you put it exactly right, the Rockets are just nice to use!

Here’s my latest. A fine condition Paperclip. Interesting due to its light weight of 35 grams. All aluminum except the doors and endcaps. Never tried this before and I must say it was very strange to shave with as it seems impossible to ‘let the razor do the work and apply no pressure’. Still, ended up with a perfect Rocket shave so it got the approved sign.

B208F979-7F41-4AF6-9447-9AFDBB5DB146.jpeg
1A4CFF94-C616-49EF-9E1A-DA6A25614B51.jpeg

Thought I’d share an updated photo of my collection of Rockets - latest addition the Paperclip, too light for shaving properly - but still... IT IS A ROCKET :001_302:

Only one I am really missing is a great condition golden Flare Tip, that is one gorgeous razor, as shown by @preidy above.

E9E1165F-8A3E-416E-9AF3-8D3737DBA41A.jpeg

I own only two TTOs and both of them are Rockets. One is a Rocket (with II stamped underneath the base plate) and the other one is a Rocket HD which I recently acquired.
I wasn't too keen on the first Rocket, but the HD turned quickly into a strong contender of my top ten. It has a nice weight to it and in combination with an Astra SP it gave me one of my smoothest shaves in quite some time.

I thought I'd prefer the 3 piece design when it comes to DE razors, but maybe the HD did open the TTO door for me...

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-5.jpg s-l500.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg

Thanks, Mitchell - patience is a virtue :001_rolle

I thought I'd prefer the 3 piece design when it comes to DE razors, but maybe the HD did open the TTO door for me...
View attachment 919595 View attachment 919596 View attachment 919597 View attachment 919598

Nice specimens! - I agree, I actually like TTO’s more, I find the mechanics intriguing and cool, and when I put 3-pieces together I find I have to be more careful with the blades. 2-pieces are nice too, though, again it feels like the loading process is a bit more in control.

My favourite TTO is the Aristocrat #70 if you love the HD you should look for this - or the #58. Both are the same head/shave and balance as the HD, but the knurlings on the handle is awesome! - And the grip is much better than the HD, especially on the #70.

For reference see here (left to right: #22/66, #70, #58):

C21802D7-CB41-467E-BCE5-EA7B3F0B79CB.jpeg

Last edited:
:em2300: What's the difference between the #22/66 and the #70? Are they all made of brass?

Yes all are brass but the plating is different. The #22/66 is rhodium plated where the #70 is nickel. I thought that they would too shave the same, but at least my specimen #66 is quit a lot more aggressive and demands another shave angle.

Top Bottom