What's new

Quote of the Day

On Friday last one of our top transplant surgeons on finishing a procedure said out loud "WELL THAT WENT WELL DIDN'T IT"

"Half of eternity is still eternity. Infinity and Zero are different degrees of the same value. Pain isn't real beyond the individual who feels it." - Trevor Goodchild (Aeon Flux)

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Not so much a quote, but this story was told to me by a colleague when I was a young man when I was facing a huge work dilemma.

King Louis had two thieves imprisoned under sentence of death. One demanded to see the King and returned from the interview looking very cheerful. ‘The King has pardoned me provided that in a year I will teach his horse to talk’. His fellow prisoner replied ‘You’ll never succeed, no one could’. The first prisoner responded ‘well, in a year I might die anyway, or King Louis might die, or the horse might talk.’

It has helped on many occasions.

“The surest way to work up a crusade in favor of some good cause is to promise people they will have a chance of maltreating someone. To be able to destroy with good conscience, to be able to behave badly and call your bad behavior 'righteous indignation' — this is the height of psychological luxury, the most delicious of moral treats.”

― Aldous Huxley, Crome Yellow

Your sinuses are clogged. Judging by the scratches on your hands, I'm guessing a new cat.

It was my mother's. She's dead.

You keep a dead cat?

No. My mother's dead.

Oh. Poor cat. You're allergic. We can control it with antihistamine. One pill a day.

Pills?

You don't like to swallow. Not surprised. Forget the pills. I'll give you a nasal spray.

Steroids? Is there something else you can give me?

Well if you lived by the river, I've got a bag.

House s2 e4

Top Bottom