What's new

Quote of the Day

This one is hitting hard right now as there may be big changes for me at work that, on one hand, I don't know if I'm ready for. On the other hand... Well, I dunno

My anxiety gets the best of me, sometimes

"It's dark because you are trying too hard. Lightly child, lightly. Learn to do everything lightly. Yes, feel lightly even though you're feeling deeply. Just lightly let things happen and lightly cope with them. So throw away your baggage and go forward. There are quicksands all about you, sucking at your feet, trying to suck you down into fear and self-pity and despair. That's why you must walk so lightly. Lightly my darling."
--- Aldous Huxley

This one is hitting hard right now as there may be big changes for me at work that, on one hand, I don't know if I'm ready for. On the other hand... Well, I dunno

My anxiety gets the best of me, sometimes

"It's dark because you are trying too hard. Lightly child, lightly. Learn to do everything lightly. Yes, feel lightly even though you're feeling deeply. Just lightly let things happen and lightly cope with them. So throw away your baggage and go forward. There are quicksands all about you, sucking at your feet, trying to suck you down into fear and self-pity and despair. That's why you must walk so lightly. Lightly my darling."
--- Aldous Huxley
Good advice. Wait until things change and then try to be a change agent. See how you can embrace the change and give it a chance to work. I’ve been in your place and imagined that the change was going to be horrible. When it actually happened, I found it wasn’t a big deal after all.

Everyone fears change, specially after getting used to a routine, but other times, change is exactly what is needed.

The one that rang with me on my last job(This job was sucking the life out of me and my family was suffering colateral damage) goes:

“Take care of whats most important, if you die, your job will be posted before your obituary”

And that really got me thinking, is never worth giving your life to a job or company to “make them richer and feel privileged and grateful because they gave you a job”

Sadly the only one that comes to mind these days is from Bob Dylan's Desolation Row:

Praise be to Nero's Neptune,
The Titanic sails at dawn
And everyone is shouting
Which side are you on?

Last edited:
Lots of good potential quotes from Desolation Row.

Einstein, disguised as Robin Hood with his memories in a trunk
Passed this way an hour ago with his friend, a jealous monk

You would not think to look at him, but he was famous long ago
For playing the electric violin on Desolation Row

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The "Dokkōdō" ("The Way of Walking Alone" or "The Path of Aloneness") is a short work written by Miyamoto Musashi a week before he died in 1645.

Good to read before starting your work day. Helps keep you centered.

The 21 precepts of "Dokkōdō":

1. Accept everything just the way it is.

2. Do not seek pleasure for its own sake.

3. Do not, under any circumstances, depend on a partial feeling.

4. Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world.

5. Be detached from desire your whole life long.

6. Do not regret what you have done.

7. Never be jealous.

8. Never let yourself be saddened by a separation.

9. Resentment and complaint are appropriate neither for oneself or others.

10. Do not let yourself be guided by the feeling of lust or love.

11. In all things have no preferences.

12. Be indifferent to where you live.

13. Do not pursue the taste of good food.

14. Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need.

15. Do not act following customary beliefs.

16. Do not collect weapons or practice with weapons beyond what is useful.

17. Do not fear death.

18. Do not seek to possess either goods or fiefs for your old age.

19. Respect Buddha and the gods without counting on their help.

20. You may abandon your own body but you must preserve your honour.

21. Never stray from the way.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to light out after it with a club." -Jack London

That has always been one of my favorite quotes. I've found it helpful in life.

And a new one I heard today that put things in perspective and made me chuckle. I asked a coworker how he's doing this morning. He replies with this gem.
"I woke up and my wife was next to me. I let the dog out and the mutt didn't bite me. And when I got into my truck it started. Anything else is just a detail."

Last edited:
Summer's going fast, nights growing colder
Children growing up, old friends growing older
Freeze this moment a little bit longer
Make each sensation a little bit stronger

RIP Neil.

Top Bottom