What's new

Quijote's wet shaving journey

Straight Shave #27

Torrey
Sorrentino Tuxedo
B&M Night Music
LT VC / B&M Night Music AS

This was one of those great shaves that just worked. I did 2 passes and ended up with a DFS everywhere but one spot on my neck. It was CCS and has always been my biggest problem spot regardless of the razor. I did have a spot on my second pass that I didn't feel comfortable with my off hand, so I had to put it in my right. Oh well, it will get better.

Night Music performs well so I wanted to try it again. It is still not a top 5 scent for me, but the LOTH seems to really like it. She has NEVER commented on how she likes a scent. But today, she was exceptionally cuddly, so that leads me to believe it is a hit with her.

Straight Shave #28

Torrey
Omega boar
Tabac
LT VC / Fine Italian Citrus

Well, I watched a couple videos this morning and saw a couple of things that I thought I could incorporate. So, I made a few minor adjustments to my normal 2nd pass. It turned out great. Everything was super close, toeing the line between DFS and BBS except for that one blasted spot on my neck. So, I thought to myself, ok, you have had a couple of really great shaves without incident, go ahead and do a touch up in that one spot. So I did. Left side went great. I chicken winged the scales so that it could fit going side to side and it left that area smoother than just about anything else I tried. Then came the right side. Now, I had used my right hand to do the left, and rather than switch hands I just went at it with my right again. Well, maybe because I was pushing instead of pulling, or something else, it bit me hard. I didn't even get to the rogue hair. It is still there. Alum didn't stop it, not even styptic. I had to bust out the TP. So, other than that one spot all is well.

Have a great rest of your weekend everyone!

Sorry to hear about the bite, but it sounds like the shaves went very nicely aside from the leakage. Night Music seems to be about as polarizing a scent as B&M has come out with. I've yet to smell it, but have considered pulling the trigger the last two years when it's been available.

Straight Shave #29

Torrey
Made Rite 1000
Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
LT VC / Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender

Today, I saw the light at the end of the tunnel. I realized today just how automatic my first pass has gotten with both hands. Now, that is not saying I go on autopilot, doing that can lead to landing in Murphyville. But the pass feels natural with both hands. No hesitation or second guessing angles, I just know how I am going to hit all areas. The second pass still needs a little work in this area, but it will get there. I was able to use both hands equally on the second pass and ended up with basically a very nice DFS, that one spot on my neck is the only exception. I could live with this quality of shave. A close enough DFS that I have to rub pretty hard to find anything and yet, long enough to have a good shave the next day. I just gotta wait until I heal up on my neck to try to figure out a touch up there. The spot from yesterday is a little raised today, so didn't want to risk it. I am still going to figure out that third pass though just to have in my bag for when I need that really close shave. Plus, it will be nice to be able bust out a grail here and there. But, for my everyday serviceable shave, it will probably be a 2 passer.

A la Mancha, we are friends with a couple from our church up here who is pregnant. Well, she has a son from a previous marriage who got to go to Disney World with his school band to perform. The wife is about 8.5 months along, so the husband went down there with him. And is set to come back tomorrow. Last night, she started having contractions. Tammy went there to be with her for a little while, and thankfully, the contractions stopped. We are just praying that she is able to wait long enough for him to make it back up here. I would hate for him to have to miss the birth of his son. But our family is on stand by to help out as much as is needed though.

Sounds like a great shave, except for what happened after you should've called it good!
It really was.
Sorry to hear about the bite, but it sounds like the shaves went very nicely aside from the leakage. Night Music seems to be about as polarizing a scent as B&M has come out with. I've yet to smell it, but have considered pulling the trigger the last two years when it's been available.
If you like vanilla, you will have a good start on liking it. There are other notes too, but I am no @skypsyd at distinguishing them, I do definitely get the musk and strawberry though.
@DocHoliday0831, we found a home of the Night Music!
I will use it. And the wife will like it.
Lol I’m glad it can finally be safe and sound in a home that loves it.
The performance cannot be argued by me and the scent is definitely one that I do not mind.

Straight Shave #29

Torrey
Made Rite 1000
Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
LT VC / Chatillon Lux Unconditional Surrender

Today, I saw the light at the end of the tunnel. I realized today just how automatic my first pass has gotten with both hands. Now, that is not saying I go on autopilot, doing that can lead to landing in Murphyville. But the pass feels natural with both hands. No hesitation or second guessing angles, I just know how I am going to hit all areas. The second pass still needs a little work in this area, but it will get there. I was able to use both hands equally on the second pass and ended up with basically a very nice DFS, that one spot on my neck is the only exception. I could live with this quality of shave. A close enough DFS that I have to rub pretty hard to find anything and yet, long enough to have a good shave the next day. I just gotta wait until I heal up on my neck to try to figure out a touch up there. The spot from yesterday is a little raised today, so didn't want to risk it. I am still going to figure out that third pass though just to have in my bag for when I need that really close shave. Plus, it will be nice to be able bust out a grail here and there. But, for my everyday serviceable shave, it will probably be a 2 passer.

A la Mancha, we are friends with a couple from our church up here who is pregnant. Well, she has a son from a previous marriage who got to go to Disney World with his school band to perform. The wife is about 8.5 months along, so the husband went down there with him. And is set to come back tomorrow. Last night, she started having contractions. Tammy went there to be with her for a little while, and thankfully, the contractions stopped. We are just praying that she is able to wait long enough for him to make it back up here. I would hate for him to have to miss the birth of his son. But our family is on stand by to help out as much as is needed though.

Sounds like that's the normal route of progress, each pass slowly gets better in order. I guess we can only concentrate on so many things at the same time.

As for the pregnancy, I saw this on TV. You're going to need to boil some water and get some towels....

I was trained for it as an EMT. Luckily, I never got my stork pin. And I would rather rush her to the hospital 10 minutes from her house than get one now.

Straight Shave #30

Torrey
Shavemac Finest
Proraso Cypress and Vetyver
LT VC / Proraso Cypress and Vetyver ASB

Today was confusing. I can usually pick out something I did wrong whenever I get cut. I was on my first pass, and had my skin stretched to get the underside of my chin on my cheek. The blade just decided to give a shout out to Mr Murphy. Everything felt good, so without there possibly being a pimple there, I am clueless to what happened. I my 2 passes with a DFS and decided to try a touch up on my mustache area. It went well. I had a little seepage from too much pressure, but that is easily cured.

I have decided that this cream may be best suited for me to use with safety razors. It is great, but not quite as good as my top performing soaps.

Straight Shave #30

Torrey
Omega boar
Tabac
LT VC / Chatillon Lux La Forêt de Liguest

Today was a good 2 pass shave. Getting more comfortable. Getting excited to be able to have muscle memory. DFS today. No red stuff outside the body.

When I was younger, my father was in the Masons and the chaplain of his lodge was an elderly gentleman who over the years became like a grandfather to me. He was a great man. We helped take care of him when he needed it, although he did a lot on his own even into his 90s. When he moved up to be with his children in the final years of his life, he gave my dad and me some of his stuff. One of the things he gave us is a Waterville Cutlery pocket knife. He has since passed on, but I still carry that knife to this day to remind myself to be more like him. When I saw that they also made straight razors, I told myself that if I started shaving with a straight, that one day, I would have a Waterville. Well, yesterday, I won an auction of one and hopefully it is as good as it looks in the pictures.
s-l400.jpg

Beautiful razor! But I think the reflection off that blade may have temporarily made it so you can't count very well. This morning's shave should have been shave number 31, not shave number 30. :)

Straight Shave #30

Torrey
Omega boar
Tabac
LT VC / Chatillon Lux La Forêt de Liguest

Today was a good 2 pass shave. Getting more comfortable. Getting excited to be able to have muscle memory. DFS today. No red stuff outside the body.

When I was younger, my father was in the Masons and the chaplain of his lodge was an elderly gentleman who over the years became like a grandfather to me. He was a great man. We helped take care of him when he needed it, although he did a lot on his own even into his 90s. When he moved up to be with his children in the final years of his life, he gave my dad and me some of his stuff. One of the things he gave us is a Waterville Cutlery pocket knife. He has since passed on, but I still carry that knife to this day to remind myself to be more like him. When I saw that they also made straight razors, I told myself that if I started shaving with a straight, that one day, I would have a Waterville. Well, yesterday, I won an auction of one and hopefully it is as good as it looks in the pictures.
View attachment 867429
Nice story, glad you were able to grab the razor.

Nice shave Don!
Hope the razor pans out!
Thanks
Beautiful razor! But I think the reflection off that blade may have temporarily made it so you can't count very well. This morning's shave should have been shave number 31, not shave number 30. :)
Yeah, I normally cheat and copy the first part then change the#. I forgot to change it today.
Nice story, glad you were able to grab the razor.
I am too. I can't wait to get it.

Great read, and nice score on the razor! It is always a good feeling to find something you have been searching for, and to attain it!

Straight Shave 32

Feather DX Kamisori / Proguard (1)
Made Rite 1000
Stirling Naked and Smooth
LT VC / Clubman

With everyone's talk about how these Feathers cut whatever is in the way regardless of it is skin or hair, I was a little nervous before that first swipe. I was concentrating on as light of a touch as possible. First pass, great reduction, no irritation or blood. Second pass, I let my concentration slip just a little and applied too much pressure in 2 spots which resulted in slight seepage. Other than that, after 2 passes I was BBS in most places. But the trouble spots were only DFS. I used the Vanishing cream today because the disappearing cream has, well, disappeared. The LOTH shoved a bunch of stuff in that cabinet and I couldn't find it. I will have to pull some stuff out to reorganize it. I definitely feel good today though.

I'm very impressed with this razor. After today, I may have to put it high up on my list of acquisitions. It is very efficient and smooth. The only thing that was difficult was judging the blade angle. The lack of a folding handle and the razor being shaped like a wedge made it a little more difficult for me. I did enjoy it so much though that I may also look into a traditional kamisori.

A la Mancha, it is going to be a busy weekend for me as my sister-in-law will be in town. The only plans SWMBO had told me about is going to the zoo. But I know there is a lot more going on. Have a great Friday and weekend everyone.

Top Bottom