What's new

Quick Review: The Sudsey Soapery -Sandalwood+Citrus.

Hey guys, I still consider myself a bit of a rookie when it comes to wet shaving, so my experience is a bit limited. But I wanted to give some thoughts about Sandalwood + Citrus from The Sudsey Soapery.

I am local to the Sudsey Soapery and they maintain a booth at Soulard Market in the downtown area of St. Louis, MO. So I thought going to Soulard would be a nice morning out with the family and get the wife's opinion on some shave soaps she likes the smell of (very important. lol).

Jonathan was very friendly and answered all the questions everyone had asked of him. He was not shy about what goes into his products or the process in which he makes them. Even all the questions from my 7 year old daughter. I purchased the Sandalwood + Citrus shave soap and after shave balm.

In the St. Louis Metro area hard water is common, and with some soaps I've had a difficult time getting a good lather. This was not the case at all with the Sudsey soap. I have not failed to get a good lather.

The scent was light and pleasant. The sandalwood is light at start and finishes with a nice hint of citrus. If I only had one knock against it was that it the odor didn't last all day. It would be nice to have the scent stick around throughout my day.

The soap is very slick. I use Personna Blues, and have used a '52 Super Speed, and New Type Bar Razors. I've been thrilled with the performance of the soap. I do 4 pass shaves everyday. WTG, ACG, ACG, XTG.

The After Shave Balm being an all natural product does separate a little bit over night, but a few quick shakes (less than 1 second) and it's good to go. Just a tiny dab on a finger is about all you need as per the owners advice. It seems to cover my face and neck well. It does have a slightly oily feel at first but is gone within about 15 minutes or so as it absorbs.

I would recommend this to anyone wanting to try an All Natural line of shaving products.
I'd give it a 9/10 rating.

I don't pre-treat the soap with water before I start loading the brush. I soak the brush in hot water for about 10-15 min (while I shower) and squeeze it mostly dry. I then build the lather up in my scuttle adding one or two drops of water between passes. I use a Maggard's 22mm synthetic brush.

proxy.php

I haven't tried that scent specifically, but I have in my possession the Sandalwood & Myrrh with the Sandalwood & Myrrh AS Balm, and the Jack Frost Shaving soap. My next purchase will likely be the Twice Mint shave soap...that scent is intoxicating! I don't know of two many soaps that have all day scent. PannaCrema Nuavia is probably the longest lasting soap as far as scent goes. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Thanks for posting this. I'm a big fan of Sudsy Soapery and use their shaving soaps, bath soaps and deodorant. Great stuff. The shaving soap is very easy to lather but, as you experienced, the scent is a little weak. I've got the Sandalwood & Myrrh and Sage & Something. If they decide to amp up their shaving soap scents, I believe they will take off even more than they have. I should have sent them this message privately, but based on my purchases they know I'm a big fan, and maybe others will chime in with the nice folks at Sudsy. By the way, I'd been on a deodorant hunt for a long time before I discovered Sudsy's versions, and this stuff is the bee's knees.

Thanks for posting this. I'm a big fan of Sudsy Soapery and use their shaving soaps, bath soaps and deodorant. Great stuff. The shaving soap is very easy to lather but, as you experienced, the scent is a little weak. I've got the Sandalwood & Myrrh and Sage & Something. If they decide to amp up their shaving soap scents, I believe they will take off even more than they have. I should have sent them this message privately, but based on my purchases they know I'm a big fan, and maybe others will chime in with the nice folks at Sudsy. By the way, I'd been on a deodorant hunt for a long time before I discovered Sudsy's versions, and this stuff is the bee's knees.

@pbrmhl How did you like the deodorant? I thought about it? I get chemical burns from certain types of deodorants, so I've been shopping around looking for something better.

@pbrmhl How did you like the deodorant? I thought about it? I get chemical burns from certain types of deodorants, so I've been shopping around looking for something better.
I've never tried the Sudsy Soapery deodorant. I can tell you that Meow Meow Tweet baking soda free deodorant is awesome. It has a grapefruit scent and it works really well for me. I also know that Michelle at Mystic Water is now making a deodorant, which I've also not tried, but it has a great ingredients list and Michelle has a great track record of quality products.

I'm going to look into the Sudsy Soapery version, as well.

I have their Peppermint & Lavender soap. I haven't tried any of the other scents yet but I would say that the Lavender is relatively subdued compared to Castle Forbes Lavender, for instance. For me this is a plus since I find the CF cream to be a overpowering and I am realizing that I might not care for Lavender as much as I thought I did. That said, the blend with the peppermint works well for me and is very enjoyable. In terms of performance, it is one of my 3 best performing soaps.

Sudsy Soapery is one of the top artisan soaps made today along with GroomingDept, L&L and a couple others.

When I started this proper shaving process four years ago (at the young age of 57), I began to look at all of my grooming habits, which had all been set in stone for 40 years, including deodorant. I ditched the antiperspirant, and began the deodorant quest, with a focus on "natural" solutions. Until I found Sudsy a few months ago, all I got was redness and irritation, and lectures from my doctor to go back to what I used before. I've got two Sudsy deodorants, Original and something Citrus, and neither have given me a problem after many uses. Summer is just now hitting us in Seattle, so we'll see, but my current plan is to stick with Sudsy. Good luck, Kevin!

Top Bottom