What's new

Quick question on coticules

Right now I've got kind of a haphazard honing collection: A King 1000 my wife had forever to sharpen knives (but never actually used), a no-name synthetic 3000/8000 grit I bought cheap years ago off of Amazon and a 10,000 Naniwa Superstone that I forgot where I bought but is actually quite nice. After that I generally use some 0.2 micron diamond paste on a balsa for touch-ups. I'm considering trying out a coticule and see that Maggards carries Ardennes stones (and is having a sale for the next few days). I've never used coticules before and was just curious - what differentiates Ardennes stones from any others? And would this be worth the dough to use as a replacement for the no-name 3000/8000 synths? I'd keep the King for bevels. Just looking for general thoughts - I'm fairly recent to honing and an absolute noob when it comes to cotis.

Thanks!

Ardennes is the only place that currently mines them.

All other sellers are either selling vintages or reselling Ardennes stones.

There's one eBayer who sells some very unusual stones that I suspect are ardennes scrap he has a guy on the inside sneaking out for him... but for the most part every coticule is either an Ardennes stone or was mined and sold well over 50 years ago (actually I forget when the last mine closed, but pretty sure it was pre-1960.

I wouldn't pay a premium for an Ardennes stone over a vintage, I actually tend to prefer vintage coticules... but if you want a particular size, or a stone you definitely don't have to lap or clean up, or want a perfect square cut... that's when you'd go to Ardennes.

Thanks for that. My preference for going new (at least for now) as I don't know if I trust my knowledge enough yet to find a good used coti from someplace like eBay. I was thinking of putting a WTB ad on B&B when my BST window re-opens next week. But that Maggards sale made me start mulling....

Last edited:
Thanks for that. My preference for going new (at least for now) as I don't know if I trust my knowledge enough yet to find a good used coti from someplace like eBay. I was thinking of putting a WTB ad on B&B when my BST window re-opens next week. But that Maggards sale made me start mulling....
Ardennes now have select grade plus in stock. These are from the La Veinette vein. These are remarkable stones that will keep their resell value, and be easy to sell if you decide to.

Oops, they now have one less in stock. Mine was just ordered. The last LV I got fro Ardennes was excellent.

Ardennes now have select grade plus in stock. These are from the La Veinette vein. These are remarkable stones that will keep their resell value, and be easy to sell if you decide to.

Oops, they now have one less in stock. Mine was just ordered. The last LV I got fro Ardennes was excellent.

Thanks. Now just wondering if I can make do with a 40mm width or go for the 50mm - that 1/2" is a big deal!

Well, for the amount I want to spend, it's either a 40mm x 150mm select or a 50mm x 150mm standard. But reading around, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between select and standard. Hmm hmm hmm....

Well, for the amount I want to spend, it's either a 40mm x 150mm select or a 50mm x 150mm standard. But reading around, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between select and standard. Hmm hmm hmm....
The difference between select and standard grade is just cosmetic.
Select plus is considered exceptional.
If it is exceptional as a razor finisher is something else. The last LV I got from Ardennes was grate. My first La Grise, select grade was also good, but took allot of time to figure out.

I recently bought two Select Plus La Veinette and one Standard La Grise from AC that are producing great edges. I also have two vintage Cotis that I like. If you have any questions, email Rob at [email protected] or use the Contact form on their website.
I just bought La Veinette select plus from them--just placed the order so haven't gotten it yet. I'm getting a little obsessed with these cotis, because I'm really pleased with the edges I'm getting with the one I have. Someone stop me before I go broke!! I've gone on a bit of a buying spree...

I just bought La Veinette select plus from them--just placed the order so haven't gotten it yet. I'm getting a little obsessed with these cotis, because I'm really pleased with the edges I'm getting with the one I have. Someone stop me before I go broke!! I've gone on a bit of a buying spree...
That happens friend. I'm sorry to say that no one here can save you from your buying spree. We can't even control our own!

I recently bought two Select Plus La Veinette and one Standard La Grise from AC that are producing great edges. I also have two vintage Cotis that I like. If you have any questions, email Rob at [email protected] or use the Contact form on their website.
My second La Veinnette was better them my first one. At least that is what the guy in the mirror said. I think he is up to no good..
They can be addictive. At least I am not collecting shoes or hand bags like my wife does. She tells me they are an investment.

Top Bottom