What's new

Quick question about lathering tabac with the included bowl.

The soap is shaped at the bottom so it can be fitted into the lid. The soap “hang” from the lid when closed and the bowl can be use to lather, I face lather.

This just might be the silliest and at the same time most brillant thing I've seen in shavedom. Solves the soggy puck problem mentioned above once and for all. Love, love the outside the box thinking.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Lathering bowls and soap storage bowls are two different things.

Lather bowls

full

full

Storage bowl, which you load from

full

full

AA

I would agree with the "Leave it in the bowl" faction. The soap is a breeze to lather and if it's pressed firmly down into the glass container, it won't get gooey at the bottom. Leave the top off after you shave until the next morning.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Lather it up!

How's it been going @KingTiger101 ? Hopefully great shaves from the puck, when the thing gets low you can lather straight off the puck. Mine is showing the bump in the center of the bottom ... fresh stuff coming soon!

curious

When you get a new bowl of tabac, do you push the puck all the way down, or leave it floating on the wall pegs??

A. pushing it down gives more space to load and it would fuse to the bottom like a mug.

B. leaving it floating would keep it off the water that would gather in the bottom and keep it closer to the top if you don’t like the soap buried in a bowl.

Load and build lather in the bowl. Tabac is cheap, why not make mountains of luxurious lather? If you own a couple of soaps, it’ll take forever to use it all. May as well make each shave ridiculously fun.

:) One of my concerns were that the bowl was shaped a little weird at the bottom. I have never bowl-lathered before, so I wasn't sure if there was some "ideal" shape.
The bowls that shave soaps come in aren't where you're supposed to build your lather. They are for holding the puck. You load your brush from the puck in a kind of soap paste form then take the brush either to your face or a bowl specifically designed for the purpose of whipping up said soap paste into a lather.

Ditto for the two bowl method.

Doesn't really matter what the two bowls are. For the bowl that simply holds the soap, I bought a number of empty soap jars from Mike's Natural Soaps. A strip of tape with a note on it lets me know what's currently in the soap bowl.

For the lathering bowl I use a scuttle, as I like my lather hot.

Whip a hot wet brush over the puck, just to gather up lots of soap. There won't be any lovely creamy lather yet. Then move the brush to the scuttle and lather in the scuttle. After applying to my face, I leave the brush in the scuttle, so it stays hot in between passes.

There are a number of advantages to having a separate lathering bowl. One is that the good ones have protruding ribs which helps whip the lather. They are also larger than a soap bowl, meaning you can make really large circles with the brush and that speeds things up. There's also the hot lather effect from a double walled scuttle if you want that.

A dense brush like a Chubby will gather up enough soap from the puck, to give you three passes without having to go back to the puck.

IMG_1042.JPG

Top Bottom