What's new

Quick pesto

Easy. Lots of recipes.
Get fresh basil, wash, de-stem.
Mine included parmesan cheese, garlic, olive oil, pine nuts, roasted; basil as last step.
In food processor.
I added a dash of salt and some lemon juice to season.
Use it as topping on just about anything.

green sauce.jpg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
There's nothing like a good pesto. If you blanch the basil, it will keep a brighter color.

There's nothing like a good pesto. If you blanch the basil, it will keep a brighter color.

interesting idea.

i think my pine nuts got a little too brown, but all tasted fine.

i've wondered about adding some dill to add a little zing.

Nice pesto's guys. used to have pine nuts all the time but my olderst kid is allergic to them, so we've substited marcona almonds in its place.

paintflinger, that pie and crust look great, how are you cooking that?
On my akorn kamado. That dough cooked best around 600F.

Good man @sarimento1 for starting this thread. Looking good!

Pesto is a delight; fortunately my wife makes the best pesto I’ve ever had, including even those I’ve sampled in Liguria. Last week she made a pesto with ramps; with gnocchi, it was amazing! Sorry, no pics. 😢

Easy. Lots of recipes.
Mine included parmesan cheese, garlic, olive oil, pine nuts, roasted; basil as last step.
In food processor.

View attachment 1107108
Easy. Lots of recipes.
In food processor.

View attachment 1107108
Have you ever tried adding room softened butter? Marcella Hazan used to do that. It sounds like blasphemy but it's fantastic. The butter is in addition to olive oil. It doesn't take much. I'd guess 2Tbsp for the amount of pesto you made in the picture.

Have you ever tried adding room softened butter? Marcella Hazan used to do that. It sounds like blasphemy but it's fantastic. The butter is in addition to olive oil. It doesn't take much. I'd guess 2Tbsp for the amount of pesto you made in the picture.

for sure, an italian friend related that pesto is a lot like pasta sauce...every cook had her/his own variations and would adapt depending on whatever was available at the time!

I usual grow arugula so I have an abundance. Blanche and use in place of basil. I substitute pine nuts with walnut. I freeze it in small jars and gift them to friends.

recipe I use

2/3 cup olive oil, divided
3 oz. parmesan cheese
2 oz. fresh basil
2 oz. pine nuts
1 garlic clove
salt and ground black pepper

1 - Mix all the ingredients for the pesto with a few tablespoons of the olive oil. Use a food processor or a blender.

2 - Add the rest of the oil and mix a bit more.

Top Bottom