What's new

quick hangover cure - family recipe

When I am drinking I always drink a bottle of water after every third drink. Then a bottle of Pedialite before going to sleep. The pedialite does the same as the gatorade without all the sugar and what nots.

Two Alka-Seltzer works every time.

proxy.php

If you are at home and staying put i grab another cold beer and pretty much sip on that while cooking up some eggs ,bacon,tomato on my bbq.By the time i have finished my breakfast i feel like doing it all again ....and at times do...ohhh i love beer.

16 oz of cold water... iced preferably
one lemon juiced
1 tablespoon of honey
1 Aspirin

mix and stir then drink. the glucose in the honey is brain food basically and flushes out the alcohol byproduct. lemon vitamin c which helps in the cleansing proscess as well. Apirin headache. half hr. later you'll feel reborn.

That should do just fine. I have always just used water and aspirin, but I can see that the honey and lemon would also be helpful.

Tim

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
A couple of bottles of Gatorade before bed......

Back in my younger days... I would wake up hungover have some eggs and lots of bacon and a beer!.. Believe it or not the beer makes you feel a whole lot better, but YMMV!
The beer I had for breakfast wasn’t bad, so I had one more for dessert

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I knew a guy once that lived by that strategy. I asked him “do you ever get hungover?” And his reply was “I don’t know. When I wake up I crack a beer so I don’t know if I’m hungover or not”. You can guess what killed him. And yeah, I went to his funeral.

But not to be a downer.......

If I’ve had more than my fair share I take ibuprofen before bed and drink a glass of water. Your brain has basically shrunk. Well not really...but you are seriously lacking hydration. Which causes the headache. The thin layer of whatever around your brain constricts due to lack of water which causes the headache.

Ibuprofen and a glass of water will help. If I wake up still feeling it I’ll just drink more water and make me a good breakfast of eggs (scrambled usually cause that is the easiest) and some toast. Then take a shower. Usually it only makes me feel marginally better.

Back in my younger days we’d hit up Denny’s. It never helped the hangover but hot damn it was sooooo good when you were already drunk.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Dehydration is a big part of it, no doubt, with ethanol working as a diuretic. Low electrolytes go along with that diuretic effect, so you need to replace those, too (as others have mentioned).

For electrolytes, I've switched to Nuun tablets. They are cheaper (per use) than Gatorade or Pedialyte (and Denny's or House of Pies), they don't take up space, they taste good, and they work very well. It's easy to toss a vial in my travel bag. They do take a few minutes to dissolve, but it's not like you can't drink and then add more water. Heck, if you can't wait a few minutes, then you need that water.

I got through a two-day beer event (plus plenty other cocktails) in New Orleans on Nuun tablets and no ibuprofin, and I did just fine.

Still, ibuprofin is wonderful stuff, isn't it? Unless you have a medical issue, it's better than aspirin for a hangover.

Unfortunatealy, much of a hangover also comes from a lack of sleep. Ethanol royally screws up the quality of your sleep. Sedation is not sleep, and it doesn't help that one of ethanol's metabolites is a mild stimulant. Even if you are in bed, (apparantly) sleeping for many hours, you still wake up deprived of quality sleep. There's not much you can do about that if you have a busy day ahead but tough it out until you can get back to bed.

Top Bottom