What's new

Quick Gillette razor ID

Gentlemen,

Can anyone help me in identifying the Gillette razor on the right in this picture?

proxy.php

I think it is some sort of Gillette New although I can't find much information about it, nor alot of pictures. The handle is identical to this one although the head is a little different. I can't find any datecode on this one and the box doesn't mention anything either.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!

I have a handle just like that on an older, open comb Gillette; however, the head in the pic looks like a late model Gillette Tech. Perhaps, this is a mis-matched DE???

Hmz Ken, I didn't even think of the mismatch possibility. It is a very thin handle though on which I think a large part of the other razor heads won't fit.

The blue tin box that is behind it does however fit everything rather nicely, both the handle and the head. The spot in the box where the head needs to be is put is specially crafted according to the head's form and dimensions, however the possibility still exists that the handle is different from the head and the box.

I will take a much closer look at the razor tonight and post some more closeup pictures (if my camera is able to do that).

As I understand it, all 3 piece Gillette's used the same (or very similar) threading on their handles -- as such, it is very easy to swap one for another. I have only seen a few handles which did not swap easily, due mainly to the contours of the bottom guard.

Gentlemen,

Below you can find some more pictures of that razor. As a comparison I put the head of another Tech I just received today side by side with the head of that razor (left is the already known Tech, right may also be a Tech). I must agree with all of you that it seems to be a Tech head. Only a few minor changes on the bottom of the head but in general they perfectly compare.

I take it that it will be a Tech then? :wink: Does anybody have an idea from when it can be?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Benjamin,

Excellent photos!!! I do believe your razor is indeed a Gillette Tech, as they were the last 3-piece DE manufactured by Gillette and the only 3-piece DE made without an open comb. However, as they were in production from 1939 - 1973, Gillette made several different versions of both head and handle design.

Unfortunately, as this particular razor was produced in England, there is no date code to help us identify the year of manufacture. However, as the 'slots' in the guard are not triangular in shape, I believe this would place it between 1952 - 1963.

I have never seen this particular guard design before, nor this handle on a Tech; however, that doesn't mean it isn't original. As mentioned before, I have the same handle on a 3-piece, open comb DE (also made in England) -- perhaps this was a common handle over there.

Cheers,

Top Bottom