What's new

Quick Clean of a Meer?

I'm glad you like the pipe. What do you intend to clean exactly? The brown patches on the outside are not meant to be cleaned. Not sure what you mean.

I'm glad you like the pipe. What do you intend to clean exactly? The brown patches on the outside are not meant to be cleaned. Not sure what you mean.
No, just the inside. It might not even really need it, but figured it couldn’t hurt to ask.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
If it has cake buildup, you can ream the pipe, but you need to do it very carefully and avoid scraping the meer. How does the pipe smell? If it smells strongly, I might clean the shank with pipe cleaners w a tiny bit of everclear on them. You don’t want to use much, and you don’t want the meet absorbing the alcohol, so I’m talking just barely dampened. And avoid bristle cleaners w the shank—soft and fuzzy only.

And do clean the stem (after you’ve removed it)—both the surface where you bite, and also the airway w alcohol soaked pipe cleaners. That’s about all I’d do. If it’s really funky, post some pics and I can walk you through a deeper cleaning, but slow and easy is the rule w meers. I can’t emphasize enough—do be overly aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you would agree 'Hoka Hey' that the pipe does not have cake buildup nor does it smell stronly. I only used it about 10 times. I would recommend you just sterilize the mouth piece (if it makes you feel better) and that's about it.

Alright, I’ll stick to just the stem. Thanks for the help and future guidance. I knew Meers were a bit different.
And thanks again @shave/brush for the wonderful pipe!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Alright, I’ll stick to just the stem. Thanks for the help and future guidance. I knew Meers were a bit different.
And thanks again @shave/brush for the wonderful pipe!
Before my meer got broken (due to the Great Possum Incident), after every 3 bowls or so I would swab the bowl out with a dry paper towel. Meers are fairly low maintenance.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Before my meer got broken (due to the Great Possum Incident), after every 3 bowls or so I would swab the bowl out with a dry paper towel. Meers are fairly low maintenance.

+1 A paper towel swab in the bowl and a soft, fuzzy pipe cleaner down the shank and stem after every smoke is all I have ever done and it seems to work.

Absorbs any excess moisture and helps prevent cake build up, which you don't in a Meer.

I clean all of my meers using a Q-Tip, Everclear, and a steady hand. Some people are wary about using alcohol on meerschaums, but in my own opinion (you should do some research and come to your own) using a small amount on a Q-Tip does no harm to the meerschaum. The alcohol evaporates before any real damage can be done.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I clean all of my meers using a Q-Tip, Everclear, and a steady hand. Some people are wary about using alcohol on meerschaums, but in my own opinion (you should do some research and come to your own) using a small amount on a Q-Tip does no harm to the meerschaum. The alcohol evaporates before any real damage can be done.

Just the inside of the bowl? How does one clean the outside of a smooth Meer?

Just the inside of the bowl? How does one clean the outside of a smooth Meer?
Oh yeah... just the inside.

If you do any cleaning for the outside, I'd just use water, spit and some elbow grease. You'd then want to apply another coating of beeswax for protection.

I accidentally reamed a Meer Lined briar pipe and the liner literally exploded when an edge caught. I didn't know it had the liner. :001_huh:

I wad up a paper towel and "screw" it into the bowl every couple of smokes to keep cake from building. Other than that I just clean the stem with a pipe cleaner with vodka. Sometimes run a cleaner into the shank with just a touch of vodka.

I wad up a paper towel and "screw" it into the bowl every couple of smokes to keep cake from building. Other than that I just clean the stem with a pipe cleaner with vodka. Sometimes run a cleaner into the shank with just a touch of vodka.
This is essentially what I do as well. I use a small splash of everclear on a paper towel, and twist it into the chamber to wipe out the insides.

Top Bottom