What's new

Quick and easy tapered wedge idea.

Legion

Staff member
If you are like me you find making neatly taped wedges a PITA. Especially so if you do not own a belt sander and have to try to taper them by hand, or evenly grind them with a dremel.

I might have a solution.

Fimo is a modelling clay like plasticine, but you put it in the oven and it goes hard like plastic.

proxy.php

So what I did is I took a blob, put it between two pieces of foil (make your foil smoother than I did), and then squished it between two flat surfaces. Squish it so that the blob tapers, and it is about 3-4mm thick at the wide end.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Carefiul to keep it flat, pop it in the oven for 30 minutes, then let it cool. Take your dremel or whatever and flatten and sand the widest edge.

proxy.php

Done! Now, assuming you made it over size, you just drill it, put the scales together, and sand away the overhang.

I only just started experimenting with it today. There are probably ways of streamlining the process. But it seems impervious to water, comes in all different colours, and is easy to work. You can make batches of them and have them sitting ready to go when you need them. I think the idea has potential. If any of you guys feel like experimenting further feel free to post your findings here.

do you know if you can dye that stuff? would be handy to be able to make any color wedge you wanted on a whim.

Legion

Staff member
do you know if you can dye that stuff? would be handy to be able to make any color wedge you wanted on a whim.

It comes in a squillion colours. And you can mix the colours to make others, or marbled effects, or whatever. So theoretically, I suppose, you could get red, blue, yellow and see what you can make. or just buy the colour you need.

I've not tried dying.

Pretty cool!
I have wondered whether one could make scales out of that stuff. I may have enough laying around to try it. Hmmmm....

Legion

Staff member
Pretty cool!
I have wondered whether one could make scales out of that stuff. I may have enough laying around to try it. Hmmmm....

What might be cool is to make a mould of one of those old fancy scales with the raised designs. Then you could squash the clay into the mould and try to recreate them.

Legion

Staff member
Cool idea! Love to hear how they hold up. Do you think they'll buff or while they have a flat finish?

I sanded the edge of this one to 600 grit. I might try some metal polish on it later today. I don't think it will get glossy like acrylic, though.

It comes in a squillion colours.
that might be my new favorite number :lol:

so, how porous is this stuff?
I wonder if you could put some glaze on it before putting it together if you wanted it shiney?

I love the idea of making molds of older scales, but I don't know if baked clay would be the best stuff to use....tends to get kind of brittle in long, thin shapes

I bet you could make some killer swirly colored scales out of this stuff. I really want to try this but I guess I should concentrate on making a basic set of scales first.

Is the finished product durable? Is it flexible? Brittle? Can it snap easily using finger pressure? Can it be coated with the different finishes like polyurethane? You might be on to something. I applaud your innovative approach to the matter.

Is the finished product durable? Is it flexible? Brittle?

I was about to ask the same thing... this is a pretty cool idea. I wonder if there are even some creative things you could do with this to make entire scales?

*edit* Sculpey sells rollers (like pasta makers) to make sheets... there may be something in this.

*edit* Check this stuff out... http://www.sculpey.com/products/clays/premo-sculpey I'm thinking you could roll this into a small sheet and cut your scales. You could easily engrave the surface before you cook it... probably all sorts of possibilities.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Is the finished product durable? Is it flexible? Brittle? Can it snap easily using finger pressure? Can it be coated with the different finishes like polyurethane? You might be on to something. I applaud your innovative approach to the matter.

It might have to do with how long and hot you cook it for, but the little trial piece I made is not brittle. In fact I can bend it around 20-30 degrees. I don't see why you couldn't coat it with polyurethane. I have a tin here. I'll give it a squirt and report back.

Top Bottom