What's new

Quick advice, please ... 1.1 or 1.5 nib for calligraphy?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I am not going to turn Calligraphy into a hobby, but now that I'm working on my penmanship with fountain pens again, I want an inexpensive pen dedicated to writing things like Christmas, Birthday, Thank You and other cards. And maybe the occasional other use like name cards, and such.

After looking at the bewildering amount of choices for just pens to fancy kits, I've settled on a Lamy Joy because, cheap, good quality, I like my other Lamy pens, good reviews, and cheap. I like cheap.

It is available in 1.1 and 1.5 nibs, though, and I don't want to buy a kit. I just want the pen with one nib. If I want another nib later it's easy to get. Which way would you suggest I go with this?

And, I'm not looking for suggestions on brush pens, fude pens, dip pens, or other fancy calligraphy kit. I'm glad if you are enthused by your product, but I'm not looking for a "more versatile kit", or something "I can grow into". I'm not saying I'll never, ever do that, who knows? But I have decided on the Lamy Joy for this with one nib, at least for now, and I want to get it today.

So quick poll, 1.1 or 1.5 nib to start with? I'm leaning toward the 1.1, but thought there may be good reason to steer me to a 1.5. Thanks!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
1.5, OK. I was leaning that way to begin with. And I was anticipating this! :001_rolle

jar_ said:
Yes. They are both needed. And .75 and .76 and .77 and ...

Yes, yes, I get it. I'm really just looking for something to use to make pretty writing in greeting cards, not open up a new hobby! :LOL: Yes, yes, it could happen. I just don't think so. Thanks!

For thank-you notes and greeting cards, 1.1 or medium nib is plenty thick, unless you write small, then get a fine (0.85).
However, for larger writing, such as name cards, you will need a broad nib (1.35). Likewise, for a hand-written name on an envelope.
Double and treble-broads and other variants you will find little use for, but I frequently employ fine, medium and broad nibs with almost equal frequency.
If you are left-handed, look into reverse oblique nibs.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I ended up with the 1.1 after watching a couple YouTubes. For my intentions I think its best. I can get a 1.5 later if needed, arrives tomorrow.

There’s an inexpensive Sheaffer set that goes for about $15, with 4 nibs/sections that I’ve played with. It takes carts, and the biggest nib is thirsty. It’s not bad at all to play with and do the notes you‘re describing.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I want an inexpensive pen dedicated to writing things like Christmas, Birthday, Thank You and other cards. And maybe the occasional other use like name cards, and such.
So quick poll, 1.1 or 1.5 nib to start with? I'm leaning toward the 1.1, but thought there may be good reason to steer me to a 1.5. Thanks!

A lot of the options you will have access to offer inexpensive replacement nibs or nib sections, so "get both" is a reasonable option.

Pilot Plumix is a great, cheap 1.1mm option, by the way!

Anyhow, what I find is that 1.5mm is better for a few bold words, while 1.1mm is better for longer passages (more than just a few words) as you still get the sharpness of the italic look, but with the workability of being able to actually write a few sentences. So if you intend to write "Happy Birthday Fred" in the card, 1.5 will be fine. If you want to include a couple sentences about how you hope Fred has gotten over that broken leg from last year's mountain climbing adventure and how you are really enjoying that bottle of aftershave he sent you for Christmas, then 1.1 is the way to go.

Top Bottom