What's new

Questions on Gillette NEW short comb

I've been closing in on a new vintage razor to buy, and I think it will be the NEW short comb.
Here's my situation: I have a pretty thick beard that I shave every other day. (I don't shave daily, as some the bumps from yet-to-re-emerge hairs get shaved off and it's rough.) I shave with a Slim, varying settings from 7 to 4 or 3 depending on blade and pass, or a Super Speed Red Tip. It's not an exact comparison, but the Red Tip feels like a Slim on 5. It's a good shave, but Red Tip can't always get my jawline BBS, even when I apply pressure. My mustache area is tough and I end up shaving it in four different directions to get smooth.
I want at an open-comb razor because I don't have one and I like how they handle lather. I'm also pretty sold on the arguments people here have made for a razor that holds the blade rigidly. I shave steeply, but can go shallow if it's not working.
That narrowed me down to an Old Type or a NEW Short Comb. (I'd grab a New Improved also, but I'm cheap, so those and New Deluxes are mostly off the table.) I'm leaning away from and Old type because I'm not looking for the most aggressive razor out there, and it seems they are pretty unforgiving. My technique's pretty good, but I don't want to be hypervigilant to avoid blood in mustache corners, handlebar area and soul patch (areas I get cut most frequently).
So I gather that the NEW short comb is pretty forgiving, yet still somewhat aggressive. I know there's no straightforward comparing of an adjustable or Red Tip to a NEW SC because of geometry, blade gap, rigidity, etc. But from what I've described, does it sound like the NEW short comb will shave me close enough?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I had, and sold, a beautiful 1921 New Standard which was the most aggressive Gillette open comb razor I have tried. For me, it was more aggressive than either my US or UK Red Tip, or a Slim or Fatboy on 9. It gave a very close shave but was too unforgiving for me, especially ATG on the upper lip. It certainly held the blade rigidly and might he just what you need, only one way to find out. My beloved Single Ring is much more mild by comparison. Good luck 👍

I've been closing in on a new vintage razor to buy, and I think it will be the NEW short comb.
Here's my situation: I have a pretty thick beard that I shave every other day. (I don't shave daily, as some the bumps from yet-to-re-emerge hairs get shaved off and it's rough.) I shave with a Slim, varying settings from 7 to 4 or 3 depending on blade and pass, or a Super Speed Red Tip. It's not an exact comparison, but the Red Tip feels like a Slim on 5. It's a good shave, but Red Tip can't always get my jawline BBS, even when I apply pressure. My mustache area is tough and I end up shaving it in four different directions to get smooth.
I want at an open-comb razor because I don't have one and I like how they handle lather. I'm also pretty sold on the arguments people here have made for a razor that holds the blade rigidly. I shave steeply, but can go shallow if it's not working.
That narrowed me down to an Old Type or a NEW Short Comb. (I'd grab a New Improved also, but I'm cheap, so those and New Deluxes are mostly off the table.) I'm leaning away from and Old type because I'm not looking for the most aggressive razor out there, and it seems they are pretty unforgiving. My technique's pretty good, but I don't want to be hypervigilant to avoid blood in mustache corners, handlebar area and soul patch (areas I get cut most frequently).
So I gather that the NEW short comb is pretty forgiving, yet still somewhat aggressive. I know there's no straightforward comparing of an adjustable or Red Tip to a NEW SC because of geometry, blade gap, rigidity, etc. But from what I've described, does it sound like the NEW short comb will shave me close enough?
You will love the Gillette New SC. I have tried dozens of vintage Gillette razors and I have only kept two, the New SC and the Pre-war Tech (one OC, one SB). That is about the best endorsement I can give the New SC. It may take a bit to find the best blade for you, but once you find it, you will be rewarded. I like the GSB, Nacet, Astra SP or Astra SS in mine.

They can be had for cheap and if you do love it, send it off to Back Roads Gold and they will re-plate it like new.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I no longer use DE’s but when I did, I considered the New short comb to be the best DE I’ve ever used.

I had, and sold, a beautiful 1921 New Standard which was the most aggressive Gillette open comb razor I have tried. For me, it was more aggressive than either my US or UK Red Tip, or a Slim or Fatboy on 9. It gave a very close shave but was too unforgiving for me, especially ATG on the upper lip. It certainly held the blade rigidly and might he just what you need, only one way to find out. My beloved Single Ring is much more mild by comparison. Good luck 👍

Yow! Those New Improveds are so beautiful that my imagination would have them be friendlier. Seems like an easy mistake to make.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm happier with a long comb than the short but that's just me. It's a bit more aggressive than a red tip and less expensive than a New DeLuxe (which I really prefer). Good luck!

I would suggest to give a Old Type a try. People argue that a Old Type is aggressive because most times the base plate is slightly bent which gives the blade a smile. This makes the razor indeed aggressive because of the blade gap due to the smile. I have both NEWs and I prefer my Single Ring with a thin cap much more. I'm also a steep angle shaver. Just my personal experience.

The Old is a great razor - you have to be fastidious with blade alignment to get the best shaves, which is a drag in my book, but it's efficient and surprisingly smooth in the shave.

The New SC is nothing short of exceptional - no alignment fiddles, blade rigidity is excellent and the shave is both smooth and efficient...
If Gillette had simply stopped developing and called it done at that point, I wouldn't feel like I was missing out. I like Tech's plenty, but I could live with a New SC without regret too.

Go for it, you really won't regret it!!

I would note, however, to look carefully at the top caps - there are two main variations, one looks like any other New or Tech cap and the other ONLY fits the SC, which much bigger corner tabs... I only have one of each, but the one with the SC-only cap is slightly smoother (no less efficient!)

The realm of the NEW is a kingdom with long boarders. What I enjoy is how versatile the NEW is. All 3 pieces come together creating the shave experience. My weakness is the math, I think you will have >27 possible combos. Enjoy!👍

Whatever you get, enjoy it. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with both the short & long combed versions before you're finished!
I'm really hoping I hit the sweet spot with this one. I had a hard time explaining to my wife why I needed another razor after obtaining three in a year. My argument that "it's so much cheaper than cartridges" doesn't hold up when I'm plunking $20 for a new razor every few months!

I'm happier with a long comb than the short but that's just me. It's a bit more aggressive than a red tip and less expensive than a New DeLuxe (which I really prefer). Good luck!
This is exactly the level of aggression/efficiency I'm aiming for. Thanks!

I would note, however, to look carefully at the top caps - there are two main variations, one looks like any other New or Tech cap and the other ONLY fits the SC, which much bigger corner tabs... I only have one of each, but the one with the SC-only cap is slightly smoother (no less efficient!)
Regarding the caps, I've seen one from the side view of the head where the cap makes a couple right angles and another where it makes a more gradual transition to the edge. Do you know which is the SC-only cap? (I don't think I'm supposed to link to live auctions, but I can probably find images elsewhere if I'm not explaining this properly.)

I would suggest to give a Old Type a try. People argue that a Old Type is aggressive because most times the base plate is slightly bent which gives the blade a smile. This makes the razor indeed aggressive because of the blade gap due to the smile. I have both NEWs and I prefer my Single Ring with a thin cap much more. I'm also a steep angle shaver. Just my personal experience.
Do you use a shim? I'm not sure what they do to the shave, but I see people here doing that with Old Types to counter thinner modern blades or for some other effect. I'd rather not do this.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Regarding the caps, I've seen one from the side view of the head where the cap makes a couple right angles and another where it makes a more gradual transition to the edge. Do you know which is the SC-only cap? (I don't think I'm supposed to link to live auctions, but I can probably find images elsewhere if I'm not explaining this properly.)

There are at least two different caps seen on short-comb News. Not sure if one clamps better than another.

This post may help. --> What did I pull outta the swamp? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/what-did-i-pull-outta-the-swamp.559084/#post-10001546

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if this is 100% correct :surrender:

Don't overthink . Buy and try . If you don't get along you can pass it in for what you paid. Others can never tell you what's going to work for you.

Bespoke cap:
View attachment 1336810
It's true that I just have to jump in, although I greatly appreciate hearing the range of experiences others have had as I select a good spot to jump in.

When you say I can pass it in, do you mean selling it on the forums here? (I'm a newbie here and not set up as a seller anywhere else.)

It's true that I just have to jump in, although I greatly appreciate hearing the range of experiences others have had as I select a good spot to jump in.

When you say I can pass it in, do you mean selling it on the forums here? (I'm a newbie here and not set up as a seller anywhere else.)
Vintage razors don't depreciate so yes, resell on the forum or eBay.

Top Bottom