What's new

Questions on a seven day set from C.V. Heljestrand

Even before Magnus Kindal (M.K.) entered the stage nearly all Heljestrand razors were marked with a model number. That also applies to the time when Heljestrand had stopped marking part of their razors with the initials of the Kindal family members. You could say that I have a bit of interest in Swedish razors and the the only rule (more a guideline actually) I have noticed is that Heljestrand razors branded with the reseller's brand on the blade generally didn't have a model number on the tang. To illustrate this I have attached two rather bad photographs of standard Heljestrand razors one that was sold as No.15 and sometimes No.16. The other one is a standard 5/8 full hollow marked with many different model numbers over the years. Let's call it No.7. The first photograph shows the reseller branded face of the razors. The second photograph shows the lack of model number marking on the backside. Unlike razors from Solingen the etching on Eskilstuna razors wear off very fast and is more to be seen as a verification of that the razor is unused when sold.

So all in all I am pretty sure (but not 100 percent certain) that your unmarked razors once had the resellers brand name on their blade. If you take a very close look there might be faint traces to be seen.

Certainty is very seldom to be found when it comes to razors.

20230523_185650.jpg
20230523_185709.jpg

So all in all I am pretty sure (but not 100 percent certain) that your unmarked razors once had the resellers brand name on their blade. If you take a very close look there might be faint traces to be seen.

My first reaction was "No way. They are immaculate." My second thought was that blowing off advice from PolarBeard on Heljestrands might be, at best, foolish so maybe I should have a second look.

One of the razors is shorter than the other without the nicely rounded toe, presumably ground a bit shorter to address a chip. Also, although there is absolutely no sign of any branding, the full face of the two blades show a faint grinding (or polishing belt) pattern rather than the mirror finish of the ones in your photo (see pic). A couple of the 32s in the set have the same pattern and three have mirror finish. I suspect at some point, someone did a very nice job of cleaning up this set, likely removing some branding off the blades.
IMG_1650.jpg

That said, whatever profile these two razors are, I am impressed. I don't know if they match any numbered models, but I prefer these two over my MK 31. They are a bit larger and nicer handling.

Top Bottom