What's new

QUESTIONS AND THOUGHTS ABOUT THE VENERABLE GILLETTE TECH

What is the origin of the name "Tech?" Does it mean "technology?" Or something else?

I understand the Gillette Tech, which had a noteworthy run from 1939 into the 1970's, was marketed as a major technological advancement in razor design. It was a very simple and inexpensive razor. I consider the Gillette Tech to be the Volkswagen Beetle of DE razors, and that's meant as a compliment. The technological advances, I understand, were:

A diamond indented guard plate, which gave the blade improved support and rigidity

A non-skid tread on the newly-designed closed comb safety bar

A new head design that was quick and easy to clean, and that resisted clogging

A newly designed closed-comb safety guard, a first in the history of Gillette's razors, that offered improved comfort

Do these engineering improvements that gave birth to the Gillette Tech razor parallel your understandings? Or are there others that might be listed?

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I thought the name Tech was for the departure from open comb to solid safety bar. Early 1940 TTO models Ranger Tech, Regent Tech, Milord Tech and the Aristocrat Tech used the name as well until they dropped it in the late '40s.

Why they used the word may have been for that new technology, let's hope we can find out.

A speculation: "Tech" might also have been derived from an ad campaign with the tagline "A New Technique in Shaving" -- you can imagine Madison Avenue marketing Gillette's new razor that way in 1939. Perhaps Gillette called it the "New Technique" razor in internal memos before its release; the descriptor was used in ads (or was planned to be used); and then Gillette realized that customers had nicknamed it the Tech.

I always thought it was short for technology but years ago, learned I was wrong. I can’t remember what the origin is now for some reason.

mr-razor will know.

20201214_071325.jpg

Some of those improvements seem more like marketing jibber jabber than any actual improvement. If you put a long comb NEW baseplate and cap next to a Tech baseplate and cap, the shapes look pretty identical. I always just thought the Tech was a less expensive way to make a razor with about the same geometry as the NEW. That's ok though. Less expensive ways to achieve the same thing are good.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the ad NPK. I've posted it at the SASA (Steep Angle Shavers Alliance).

Based on reading similar Gillette info regarding the correct shaving angle for the Tech, I went steep on my last two shaves with the Hybrid Tech.

Some pressure was required.

Results were very good.

After using a shallow angle with my Techs since I started using Techs, I find myself considering changes in technique where these venerable, and truly excellent, razors are concerned.

YMMV 😎

Based on reading similar Gillette info regarding the correct shaving angle for the Tech, I went steep on my last two shaves with the Hybrid Tech.

Some pressure was required.

Results were very good.

After using a shallow angle with my Techs since I started using Techs, I find myself considering changes in technique where these venerable, and truly excellent, razors are concerned.

YMMV 😎
I would love to see the Gillette info on shaving angle for the Tech. I picked up a couple of the post war ball end Tech's and used one of them one time. I ended up with more irritation than I like. I haven't picked them up since.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I would love to see the Gillette info on shaving angle for the Tech. I picked up a couple of the post war ball end Tech's and used one of them one time. I ended up with more irritation than I like. I haven't picked them up since.
That doesn't sound right. Try a different blade ... if not, I'd say user error. The Tech is pretty intuitive on blade angle and is often recommended for new shavers although the seasoned veterans can still get a close shave.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Point #4 in the attachment to post #5 (reattached here for ease of reference).
20201214_071325.jpg

The question seems to be: Does the "solid guard bar stretch the skin ahead of the shaving edge" better with a steep angle (handle closer to the face) or with a shallower angle (handle further away from the face)?

I've used a shallow angle since I started shaving with Techs and gotten wonderful results.

What is fascinating to me is that a steep angle also worked great, albeit with the addition of slight pressure.

YMMV 😎

That doesn't sound right. Try a different blade ... if not, I'd say user error. The Tech is pretty intuitive on blade angle and is often recommended for new shavers although the seasoned veterans can still get a close shave.
Nothing about vintage Gillette’s is intuitive to me. Then those tiny skinny ball handles don’t inspire confidence. I don’t feel like I have much control. Next time I try a tech I will load it with a Derby Extra, the dullest blade that I own.

Nothing about vintage Gillette’s is intuitive to me. Then those tiny skinny ball handles don’t inspire confidence. I don’t feel like I have much control. Next time I try a tech I will load it with a Derby Extra, the dullest blade that I own.
Slap a heavier handle on a Tech. You will be amazed at the difference.

I just paired my 1952 Tech with a Rockwell 2C handle. It went from a barely used razor to into my main rotation. The ball end and aluminum handles are way to light and dainty for me.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

A dull blade won't reduce irritation. My suggestion is to use blades like Kai, Feather, Wizamet S.I., Personna Israeli Platinum Red and Personna Med Prep.

For handles, I use Timeless, TiBam, rusdrunkbear, RazoRock Titanium and Maggard MR11 Stainless handles on my Techs.

YMMV 😎

A dull blade won't reduce irritation. My suggestion is to use blades like Kai, Feather, Wizamet S.I., Personna Israeli Platinum Red and Personna Med Prep.

For handles, I use Timeless, TiBam, rusdrunkbear, RazoRock Titanium and Maggard MR11 Stainless handles on my Techs.

YMMV 😎
SharpieB and NPk made similar suggestions. I love the Personna IRs, I bought 400 and I have a sleeve of Wizamet blades on the way. I also have some Kais and Feathers. West Coast Shaving sells some nice handles that won’t break my bank so maybe I should splurge. I really wanted to use the tech the way it was designed but I might have to wait until my skills improve. I don’t feel like my hands are all that big but then again I usually break 50% of the extra large nitrile gloves I sometimes wear at work when I put them on.

Top Bottom