What's new

questions about the threading on the Winning Razor and the Edwin Jagger DE 89

I have a couple of stainless steel safety razor handles I bought from West Coast Shaving, inexpensively for $15-17 bucks each. They seem to fit the Winning Razor head very well and the Edwin Jagger head almost as well. With the Edwin Jagger, there is just the very faintest hint of resistance before it tightens down. Maybe it just needs a drop of oil, I don’t know. I guess the West Coast Shaving handles are made in the USA and the Edwin Jagger is made in England. Is there some small difference in the threading of the English razor that I should be cautious about? I’m assumed I can safely use these handles with the Winning Razor. Both WCS handles are very grippy, which I like a lot.
Thank you, input is appreciated.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Fatip is the only razor that I know of that uses a different size threading. But there could be more that I'm not aware of I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along to help soon.

I have a couple of stainless steel safety razor handles I bought from West Coast Shaving, inexpensively for $15-17 bucks each. They seem to fit the Winning Razor head very well and the Edwin Jagger head almost as well. With the Edwin Jagger, there is just the very faintest hint of resistance before it tightens down. Maybe it just needs a drop of oil, I don’t know. I guess the West Coast Shaving handles are made in the USA and the Edwin Jagger is made in England. Is there some small difference in the threading of the English razor that I should be cautious about? I’m assumed I can safely use these handles with the Winning Razor. Both WCS handles are very grippy, which I like a lot.
Thank you, input is appreciated.

I believe The Winning Razor is #10-32 threads like the Yates and Karve. Most other razors are M5 x 0.8 threads. Fatip is odd man out with M4.5x0.75 threads.
The handles you have from WCS are likely M5 x 0.8 so should work with the Winning Razor but might be on the loose side until fully tightened up. I doubt the stock handle from the winning razor would fit the EJ head though. I would think the Edward Jagger would be m5 x 0.8 but not sure why you encounter resistance at the end.

As @Rosseforp explained it to me when I was tapping my Karve Gladius handle (10-32) to fit my Charcoal Goods head (M5x0.8):

The pitch-threads-per-inch is the same.
An M5 x 0.8 is only .0035" larger than 10-32, which means that an oversize 10-32 will actually fit an M5 thread snugly, and an M5 will fit a 10-32 thread loosely.

Cheers

I believe The Winning Razor is #10-32 threads like the Yates and Karve. Most other razors are M5 x 0.8 threads. Fatip is odd man out with M4.5x0.75 threads.
The handles you have from WCS are likely M5 x 0.8 so should work with the Winning Razor but might be on the loose side until fully tightened up. I doubt the stock handle from the winning razor would fit the EJ head though. I would think the Edward Jagger would be m5 x 0.8 but not sure why you encounter resistance at the end.

As @Rosseforp explained it to me when I was tapping my Karve Gladius handle (10-32) to fit my Charcoal Goods head (M5x0.8):

The pitch-threads-per-inch is the same.
An M5 x 0.8 is only .0035" larger than 10-32, which means that an oversize 10-32 will actually fit an M5 thread snugly, and an M5 will fit a 10-32 thread loosely.

Cheers
Thanks so much for that excellent info. I guess what I need to know is will I be damaging the Edwin Jagger or the Winning razor by using the West Coast Shaving handles. WCS says they fit most razor heads out there, and there is only the faintest hint of resistance from the EJ. I haven't even tried a drop of oil yet.

Thanks so much for that excellent info. I guess what I need to know is will I be damaging the Edwin Jagger or the Winning razor by using the West Coast Shaving handles. WCS says they fit most razor heads out there, and there is only the faintest hint of resistance from the EJ. I haven't even tried a drop of oil yet.

Maybe take a Q-tip dipped in alcohol and twist in and out of the threads of the WCS handle. Perhaps there is a bit of leftover machining grime in the threads and then a drop of oil wouldn't hurt anything. Since the EJ and handle are the same threads, I doubt you'll do any damage but I can't make a guarantee. I'm neither a machinist or an expert but if it were mine I'd use it and just not twist it on gorilla tight.

The Edwin Jagger handles have a stopper in the handle to prevent over tightening and are designed for their own heads such as the DE89. This “stopper” was introduced a few years ago.
They had a lot of problems with people snapping the threaded shaft on the top plate by over tightening the handle.

For example, I have an Edwin Jagger Chatsworth razor and if there is no blade in the razor then the head is lose when fully tightened. The Chatsworth uses the same DE89 head. When the blade is inserted the head then tightens ok.

I can’t use their handles on some (but not all) of my other razors - even though the thread is the same - due to this “stopper” preventing over tightening.

I guess if you put a thin washer between the handle and the baseplate then it will work fine.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom