What's new

Questions about Super Adjustables

Hi all,

I've three questions about Super Adjustables:

1. The one I have works fine except the TTO mechanism seems off: when closing it won't give that satisfying little quarter-turn "extra" that let's you know it's locked closed. Instead, this just tightens like a bottle cap: you twist and twist and at the end it just stops. When you twist to open it, it's like it's stuck: it doesn't move at all, and then suddenly it "pops" open. (Is this description making sense?) It works fine, I guess; it seems secure, but I don't think this is quite right. Is it? If not, can it be fixed?

2. This seems to be my favorite razor so far. I want more of them. I see a lot of the ones with the plastic base plate available on eBay. How inferior are these? Do they perform any different?

3. Anyone have any Super Adjustables they want to sell? :biggrin1:

1. That sounds strange. Popping open sounds like binding to me, but you should still feel that last quarter turn. Check to make sure the endcaps are straight and not bent in toward the doors (or bent any direction at all), just to rule that out.

2. I don't know. I haven't shaved with the plastic bottomed one, but based on their popularity regardless of bottom, I tend to think they will be just as awesome as their all metal twins.

3. They are always available somewhere. Check the BST often, post a WTB, or check out eBay.

I have both the metal bottom ones and the plastic.

Although the plastic bottom ones sell for less on eBay the form and function are identical. I can’t tell any difference.

I use the plastic bottom one (a 1981 A3) as my travel razor.

The Super Adjustable is regarded by some as the best-shaving Gillette adjustable. Rising eBay prices reflect this razor's growing popularity.

The plastic part used on the last version was not the base plate, but rather the adjuster tang. I have never seen one broken, and the plastic part has no adverse effect on the razor's performance.

The "extra quarter turn" element is the result of a spring compressing to take up the variable slack needed to allow for adjustment. If the spring becomes "gunked up" (soap scum, lime scale, rust) it will not compress smoothly. Giving the razor a long soak in very hot (not quite boiling) water (with dish soap added) may help free up the spring. Mineral oil applied to the "internals" from the open top (allow it to drain down to the bottom of the handle) may also help the spring.

I have a SA that opened and closed perfectly but did not do the 1/4 turn. If cleaning does not solve the problem your razor might be over-clocked.

1. The one I have works fine except the TTO mechanism seems off: when closing it won't give that satisfying little quarter-turn "extra" that let's you know it's locked closed. Instead, this just tightens like a bottle cap: you twist and twist and at the end it just stops. When you twist to open it, it's like it's stuck: it doesn't move at all, and then suddenly it "pops" open. (Is this description making sense?) It works fine, I guess; it seems secure, but I don't think this is quite right. Is it? If not, can it be fixed?

The quarter turn didn't initially work on mine either. I found this was due to ages old gunk mucking up the innards. I soaked it repeated times in Scrubbing Bubbles, and finally boiled it for about a half hour. After the boiling the quarter turn does work, but it remains very tight when you go to re-loosen it to remove the blade.

Hi all,

1. that satisfying little quarter-turn "extra" that let's you know it's locked closed.

2. This seems to be my favorite razor so far. I want more of them. I see a lot of the ones with the plastic base plate available on eBay. How inferior are these? Do they perform any different?

1. +1 on soaking in detergent. Overnight (or longer, even several days) in a strong solution of water and dish detergent. The hand kind, NOT the kind for dishwasher machines.

2. Because the SA handle is hollow and light, I think the plastic head base plate actually give the razor better balance. I found that the metal head makes it a bit top heavy. (Merely one person's opinion.)

Thank you all, for your posts. Very helpful. I'll try the various remedies for the TTO mechanism.

And I'll also expand my search for these to include the ones with plastic as well! I can see more RAD starting up...

Was my first DE razor til I broke it. Best shave, but I'm stuck in the novelty of vintage razors for the time being

Top Bottom