What's new

Questions about sodastream

I like the fizzy. Doctor says I should cut back my soda consumption due to issues with Aspartame.
I live in Canada and Diet Pepsi hasn't moved yet to sucralose.

I can get the fizzy feeling and drink water. The cost is offset by the advantages for me.

I pick one up today at Walmart. I wonted to try to make my own sodas. I know it not like the real deal. But I still wonted to try..

I have not been using my Sodastream much because I have been buying the Costco Kirkland Italian Sparkling water, which is about $12.50 for a case of 1/2 liter rather elegant plastic screw-top bottles. And recently 18 1/2 liter heavy glass, metal bottle capped bottle boxes of Topo Chico Mexican mineral water from Costco, for around $16.79. The Topo Chico seems to have come and gone at Costco though. Maybe it will come back.

I the Italian water is relatively low mineral content and of, say, average carbonation. It reminds me of what I drank out of drinking fountains on the sides of the streets in Rome. Delicious. I just read an article saying Topo Chico was available at Costco saying it was "soft" and seeming to say it was relatively low in carbonation. I would say Topo Chico is high in minerals and carbonation. Fantastic water at an amazing price, but if I drink a whole bottle my stomach hurts. Which I do anyway because I like the water so much.

Brita filtered water in a Sodastream is good, but not as good to me as either the Kirkland Italian or Topo Chico waters. And I would say the carbonation is not as much, as fine, or as long lasting as either of those two, or regular grocery store sparkling water. To me, overall the Sodastream water is about a push with standard grocery store sparkling water. Whereas the Kirkland Italian water and definitely the Topo Chico is a real luxury/treat to me. I have pretty much weaned myself of all regular sodas. Occasionally I will add some juice or syrup to sparkling water, but mostly I drink just sparkling water.

I think the Sodastream is a worthy product. I am just willing to pay more for and go through the hassle of carrying around and stocking water that is more special to me, that helps me all the more stay away from sodas, either diet or regular.

Top Bottom