What's new

Questions about rotation of razors, creams, after shaves, colognes, ...

Gents,

I fail to not notice the high amount of shaving creams, shaving soaps, after shaves and colognes all of you have in your collection. I'm not even touching the brushes and razors. :smile:

I take it that some of you are purely collectors and others actually do use the majority of the stuff.

Are there a few kind members over here who can give me (and possible other members too) some insight in their motivation to rotate creams, soaps, after shaves, brushes, razors etc? I assume the rotation is to keep all flavors and items "interesting" instead of getting bored with one flavor or item after for example two or three months using it. Isn't it hard to switch razors every couple of days/weeks since you need to get used to them again?

Especially for creams, after shaves and colognes I'm wondering whether everything is still in good condition when you don't use it for let's say more than a year or two. I've noticed that some of my colognes (I have four) tend to lose scent after one or two years therefore I assume this is the same for creams and after shaves?

Once I have my Merkur HD and my Trumper, Taylor and T&H creams I will most likely also rotate a bit but I was just wondering what your motivations are.

I have 4 soaps and 5 creams, 3 brushes (2 on the way) and too many razors to post right now. So why do I rotate? I like them all and couldn't be tied down to just one or three as the case may be. Different moods, some work better with other equipment. I have not had any issue with them getting old but some have mentioned having something for a couple years and not having a problem. Soaps are usually more durrable than the creams.

Goosemeplease said:
Just a whim for me I use what I feel like when I feel like it!

Yes, me too!

I also keep all my cologne in their boxes, they rarely see the light of day! I don't know if it does any good but I've heard thst scents suffer from UV degradation.

I have yet to notice problems with colognes or shave creams re: rotation, but I do admit to rather steep learning curves when rotating razors. I just picked up a couple of older Gillettes at an antigue shop, and have used them the last 2 days to see how they worked.

Well, they seem fine but my face is a little beat up--some nicks, topped a mole, weepers. Not sure its worth it.

And yet, I always think that the *next* razor will be the bringer of the perfect shave.:redface: :tongue:

Hi Benjamin,

rotation in wet shaving is an essential thing for me.
I'm not a collector, I use a new Merkur Classic equally as a Schick injector Type E (1943-1945).

Nothing is worse than monotony !!!

I can't speak for the other members, this is my own opinion...

Thomas

Benjamin,
Some gents get very detailed in the planning of their rotation for said items. Personally, I enjoy making each morning's decisions on a whim. I have, however, recently begun to think about sticking with a single razor for at least a week at a time (not sure that I'll do this, but I'm thinking about it).

I like having sets of "mood" creams, a/s and colognes.

Another words, a peppy, upbeat set, a consoling set for those "gonna be a $%&! day" and everyday-Joe days.

I find that having a wide selection allows me to look forward to the decision while I am in the shower.

It's a bit odd, I suppose, but it works for me and keeps me looking forward to my shaves.

I DO agree about the razor though. Stick with one for while until you master it. All of the other variables don't matter as much.

-joedy

Thank you all for the responses! Even though only a small subset of the members have replied it's already becoming clear that a large part of you simply decide what you're going to use a few minutes before the actual shave will take place.

I must admit that before I became a member of this forum I only used one "gel" (Gillette and afterwards Nivea for Men) due to the fact that I wanted to get over with it as soon as I could. Now I see there's much more involved to shaving than I originally had in mind.

Am I glad you guys opened my eyes. I'm currently already enjoying much longer shaves with Bodyshop cream and my Gillette Mach 3 (2 passes, with grain and against) and I can't wait until my Merkur HD and EJ best badger brush are shipped from the UK and my sample blades and shaving creams will arrive.

Thanks guys, my morning shaving ritual will become much more relaxing!

Benjamin,

Rotation is what it's all about! Without rotation there wouldn't be B&B or SMF or any Wetshaving board............

As for your first DE&BB shave: have a good Grimbergen afterwards:biggrin:

Peter

I'll have to cast another vote for simply deciding what to use on a whim. Whatever takes my fancy and what I think will feel good on any particular morning is what I will go for.
In the past I used to make some vain attempts to plan the weeks shaves in advance, but with acquisition disorders being what they are, there's always something new to play with and any plan is soon forgotten.

I didn't know there was a "real" difference in razors until I got an old Gillette Tech. It is a totally different shave from my Merkur Long Classic. The Tech is so gentle and tame compared to the Merkur that I can shave with almost 99.95% confidence that I will not get a nick or cut. I can also shave S>N with the Tech.

If I'm running a little late I'll use the Tech and not get quite as smooth a shave but still pretty darn good looking/feeling. The Merkur just takes more time and attention. Glad I got the Tech as I thought I'd never be able to have a quick shave in order to blast out of the house when I had to.

I'm just learning the difference between the products as I'm using Proraso now along with my C&E Sweet Almond Cream and Baxter of California Aftershave. Lots of shavers here love using the Proraso in the hot weather. For some reason it just feels so good.

My next razor will be a Gillette adjustable if I can find one. My next shaving cream will be Tom's of Maine if I can find it here in Los Angeles. I like the Tom's of Maine products a lot. Haven't found another aftershave I'm interested in yet other than the two I have currently, Proraso and Baxter of California. It will be fun doing the research though and if you're a good shopper you can do it relatively on the cheap.

- Jim

I'm of the whim school, but I generally have my whims the night before, as I stand at the sink brushing my teeth before bed, letting my eyes wander among the razors, creams, soaps, etc. I like thinkinig about what I'll use.

And, of course, the next morning I often go with something totally different. But this morning, for example, my right lower jaw was enormously swollen from a fractured tooth (now gone: interesting day), so I wanted a very gentle shave. I used the Vision, since it's the gentlest and most reliable razor I have, and took the precaution of using a new Feather blade. A shaving cream (that made a fantastic lather now that the oil I used to treat the soapstone bowl is now gone :blush: ), the Dovo brush, and afterwards the old alum block and Pinaud's Bay Rum. Great shave that made me feel able to face dentist and oral surgeon....

Kyle said:
Benjamin,
Some gents get very detailed in the planning of their rotation for said items. Personally, I enjoy making each morning's decisions on a whim. I have, however, recently begun to think about sticking with a single razor for at least a week at a time (not sure that I'll do this, but I'm thinking about it).

Kyle, when I first started collecting razors (RAD) got me, I would try a different razor every day. What happened is I couldn't keep track of how many shaves I got on each blade. Then I started to try and use one blade for a week and change the blade from razor to razor. Finally I switched to ONE razor for the whole week. I have grown to love my HD 1-9 so much that I have lately been using it about 90% of the time. I still change creams and soaps from day to day. I change my brush depending on if I'm using a cream or a soap. Soft brush for cream and stiff brush for soap. I use a different cologne or aftershave almost everyday. The one thing that stays constant is my blade. I have tried them all and the Feather is my blade of choice and I don't use any other blades.

tonyespo said:
Kyle, when I first started collecting razors (RAD) got me, I would try a different razor every day. What happened is I couldn't keep track of how many shaves I got on each blade. Then I started to try and use one blade for a week and change the blade from razor to razor. Finally I switched to ONE razor for the whole week. I have grown to love my HD 1-9 so much that I have lately been using it about 90% of the time. I still change creams and soaps from day to day. I change my brush depending on if I'm using a cream or a soap. Soft brush for cream and stiff brush for soap. I use a different cologne or aftershave almost everyday. The one thing that stays constant is my blade. I have tried them all and the Feather is my blade of choice and I don't use any other blades.
Tony,
It sounds as though you and I are on the same path, though you have a bit of a head start on me. My current two favorite razors are my Merkur HD and Gillette Fatboy. Also like you, my blade choice has remained constant for quite some time now, though I currently prefer the Derby's over anything else I have used.

Kyle and Tony - I'm in the same camp as the two of you. I use my Merkur classic most of the time and sometimes use my Merkur slant or Fat Boy - in particular if I've skipped a day.

My brush varies depending on whether I'm using a cream or a soap and I vary my a/s combos everyday, the only constant being the use of an alum block. The factor that most strongly determines what I use is the temperature - for example, in the summer I find myself using Proraso, Tom's mint, QED sandalwood and products with citrus. In the winter, I'll use products with "heavier" scents, such as Tabac, Bay Rum, etc.

As with Kyle, I have found Derby's to be my blade of choice.

I'm taking a foray into the single-edge territory, having just bought some older injectors (the Schick's with the bakelite handles) and GEM-style razors. Lately I've been infected by RAD - but unless I really like the single-edge razors, I'll likely revert back to the classic.

Top Bottom