What's new

Questions about Horween Shell Cordovan and Shell Cordovan In General

My new strop is like the ice skating rink too unfortunately. Absolutely no draw whatsoever and to be honest, I don't like it. I have an old black Latigo 2" strop that has lots of draw. I'm torn because the new TM strop was a Birthday present and I don't want to use it because it doesn't seem to be doing anything effective to my edges. I had a tuggy shave this morning so I stopped halfway and stropped it on my new strop. Nothing.

I finally took it to the Latigo and the edge was a little smoother.

WTH am I supposed to do now? How long did it take for your strop to improve the draw?
Stick with it. It might take a few weeks.

Stick with it. It might take a few weeks.

Thank you, will do.

I also received some insight and guidance from Tony. I "cut my teeth" so t speak over a decade ago on Latigo. Very heavy draw in comparison to the new strop. Tony was kind enough to "give me permission" :))) to use a drop or two of Neats Foot oil on the new strop to bring out a little more draw.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Thank you, will do.

I also received some insight and guidance from Tony. I "cut my teeth" so t speak over a decade ago on Latigo. Very heavy draw in comparison to the new strop. Tony was kind enough to "give me permission" :))) to use a drop or two of Neats Foot oil on the new strop to bring out a little more draw.
Few leather will match the heavy draw of the "old" Latigo that I an a few others later used. Horween Shell will be about the exact opposite of that leather I feel.

Glad the touch of Neat's Foot Oil worked. I hate to suggest it as a general use method unless one really has a need as it can change the draw of some leathers a good deal, drastically if applied too heavily and not something easily undone.

Bought a horsehide strop thinking it would have more draw but hardly any that I can tell. Would it increase the draw too much if I ad some dovo leather balm to it?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Bought a horsehide strop thinking it would have more draw but hardly any that I can tell. Would it increase the draw too much if I ad some dovo leather balm to it?
Possibly. Most horsehide has a smooth, nearly polished surface and a very fast draw. Some slick and hard like ice. Others have a more brushed velvety surface which has a fair amount of draw.

On the really slick, polished stuff, I am not sure anything will change that feel.

Top Bottom