What's new

Questions about Horween Shell Cordovan and Shell Cordovan In General

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I was hoping to get thoughts on how Horween Shell Cordovan specifically performs. I looks and feels so incredibly slick and shiny I was wondering just what the draw is like and how it compares to say the Kanoyama Cordovan which I am guessing are two completely different experiences. I know there are a few new strops out there using Horween Shell and like most things suspect it is not like the Shell of days gone by so want to try and limit discussion to what one may like or dislike with the Horween material.

Mr Miller, both Kanayama and Horween feel slicker than the average cowhide or horsehide, in my experience. There’s little resistance to the strokes

Horween is thin and very flexible, you can fold it and it returns to shape easily. Kanayama is generally thick (mine is the 70000 model) and less malleable .

It’s hard to put it into words, but there’s a special feeling when stropping on shell. In one word, Smooth.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Mr Miller, both Kanayama and Horween feel slicker than the average cowhide or horsehide, in my experience.

Horween is thin and very flexible, you can fold it and it returns to shape easily. Kanayama is generally thick (mine is the 70000 model) and less malleable .

It’s hard to put it into words, but there’s a special feeling when stropping on shell.
Thanks. I have been surprised by a few leathers that look like they will feel a certain way but in use deliver something totally different. The flexibility is good but returning to shape makes me wonder if there is a memory and how easily it is to coax a strip flat or slightly convex and have it retain that shape.

I have a Horween shell that Walkin' Horse was selling around 10 years ago, and it is perhaps the slickest surface I've ever stropped on. Very light draw. I liken it to a polished black hard Arkansas surface in that if there is the tiniest speck of dust on it, you can feel it during the pass. Or the princess and the pea syndrome. It's a very thin strop, and in my layman's view, it is resistant to shape coaxing. It wants to stay flat, with the borders being very resistant, quite squared off with a tendency to ride upwards, if anything, which needs to be anticipated.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I have a Horween shell that Walkin' Horse was selling around 10 years ago, and it is perhaps the slickest surface I've ever stropped on. Very light draw. I liken it to a polished black hard Arkansas surface in that if there is the tiniest speck of dust on it, you can feel it during the pass. Or the princess and the pea syndrome. It's a very thin strop, and in my layman's view, it is resistant to shape coaxing. It wants to stay flat, with the borders being very resistant, quite squared off with a tendency to ride upwards, if anything, which needs to be anticipated.
By riding upwards do you mean cupping? Are you able to get it down flat to use for any length of time or is it a constant struggle?

By riding upwards do you mean cupping? Are you able to get it down flat to use for any length of time or is it a constant struggle?

There's slight tendency to cup at the very edge rather than throughout. As it came from Walkin' Horse, there was no detailing or chamfering, so that may contribute to it too. Not a problem in general, but something I have to keep an eye on. If you inscribe a line along the edge, as I think you do with your signature strops, or at least chamfer it, that might relieve such a tendency, no?

Another thing about the Horween cordovan is that it seems significantly different from the supporting leather underneath. It is more of an independent "hard shell" above the rest of the leather, if that makes sense.

In my experience, shell Cordovan is extremely resistant to cupping. I made a strop from Spanish Cordovan, very thin and stretchy, and I expected it to cup very easily, but after 15 months of using it daily, it shows no signs of cupping.

The right guy to chime in would be @Tomo, he owns a Westholme strop made from Horween Cordovan.

In my experience, shell Cordovan is extremely resistant to cupping. I made a strop from Spanish Cordovan, very thin and stretchy, and I expected it to cup very easily, but after 15 months of using it daily, it shows no signs of cupping.

The right guy to chime in would be @Tomo, he owns a Westholme strop made from Horween Cordovan.
No cupping with the 3” Westholme. I’m a big fan of the Horween Shell. It’s hard, fast and smooth but is very flexible and conforms nicely to the edge.

If I had my time again, I might go 2.5” or 2”. I starting to prefer the narrower strops. The surface is more stable under an x-stroke.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
No cupping with the 3” Westholme. I’m a big fan of the Horween Shell. It’s hard, fast and smooth but is very flexible and conforms nicely to the edge.

If I had my time again, I might go 2.5” or 2”. I starting to prefer the narrower strops. The surface is more stable under an x-stroke.
Flexibility can be a plus on leathers that may not normally lay flat as they will straighten under the weight of stropping and conform to either a straight or smiling edge. On firm leathers cupping would be a bigger issue as it would not flatten under any normal pressure in use.

Thanks guys

Flexibility can be a plus on leathers that may not normally lay flat as they will straighten under the weight of stropping and conform to either a straight or smiling edge. On firm leathers cupping would be a bigger issue as it would not flatten under any normal pressure in use.

Thanks guys
So when can we order, I will take a 2.5" please? 🤪

Half joking. If it is in late summer, I might be persuaded to part with money...

Oh, a suggestion! I have eyeballed some shell strops and the one thing that makes them stand out is a unique colour. Say, green or blue. Maybe even Ruby. Something to make yours stand apart if you are going to have to order leather.

I was hoping to get thoughts on how Horween Shell Cordovan specifically performs. I looks and feels so incredibly slick and shiny I was wondering just what the draw is like and how it compares to say the Kanoyama Cordovan which I am guessing are two completely different experiences. I know there are a few new strops out there using Horween Shell and like most things suspect it is not like the Shell of days gone by so want to try and limit discussion to what one may like or dislike with the Horween material.
I would add that for me the draw has increased as the Horween Shell has broken in. At first it felt like honing on an ice rink. With use that feeling has gone away and now there is a nice, light, even draw.

conform to either a straight or smiling edge.
That is exactly my experience with the very thin stretchy Spanish Cordovan. There is no doubt in my mind that it is the most effective strop I have.

The only problem with Shell Cordovan is that for the uninitiated, it may look and feel cheap and not substantial enough if you are used to 6oz or 8oz thickness leather.

I've got a Horween Shell Cordovan Strop in the longest length that could be gotten from the hide. From Master Stropmaker Torolf Mykelbust of Scrupleworks. It is sheer perfection!

No shell currently offered :a36:

Get on it TM!

Edit: sorry, I am going by what his website says. Currently available leather as follows, no mention of shell... maybe he is out and working on the next batch. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
All one has to do is contact the maker directly... as I did.
Exactly. I find most small makers on many products, not just shaving related usually have stuff not shown they can work with and can usually hook their customers up when possible.

I would add that for me the draw has increased as the Horween Shell has broken in. At first it felt like honing on an ice rink. With use that feeling has gone away and now there is a nice, light, even draw.

My new strop is like the ice skating rink too unfortunately. Absolutely no draw whatsoever and to be honest, I don't like it. I have an old black Latigo 2" strop that has lots of draw. I'm torn because the new TM strop was a Birthday present and I don't want to use it because it doesn't seem to be doing anything effective to my edges. I had a tuggy shave this morning so I stopped halfway and stropped it on my new strop. Nothing.

I finally took it to the Latigo and the edge was a little smoother.

WTH am I supposed to do now? How long did it take for your strop to improve the draw?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I recently bought a Horween @tonymiller strop and was concerned about how the draw would be. It turned out to be perfect - very smooth and not overly fast. I don’t consider myself to be a strop collector but have acquired several over the years and this is the best of the lot by far. Highly recommend.

Top Bottom