What's new

Questions about head shaving, razors, safety razor blades etc.

Hi everyone.

I posted a lot of this in another thread, but another member suggested I start my own thread in this forum specifically as he said I'd get more replies here. Some of the post might be a bit disjointed as I was replying to posts in the other thread (I've cleaned it up a bit so hopefully my questions make sense).

Just found this awesome forum and signed up straight away (I don't usually ever sign up to forums right away, but when I read a few of the posts, it seemed like a great community) as I was looking to ask a bunch of questions in regard to shaving with razors that use safety razor blades. I just started wet shaving my head with safety razor blades and I've been looking for a good shaving soap to try. I currently have been using Taconic shaving cream (it's the only one I've used apart from a local shave soap I bought here in AU that I only used once as I didn't like it, so I just stuck to the Taconic). I was looking to try something tallow based and was wondering how this one (Mike's Natural Soaps) would compare to the Taconic shaving cream I've been using? Hopefully this brand is available to buy in Australia. If not, any other suggestions? Also, would a tallow based soap be an issue with clogging up the sink at all? I think I'd prefer tallow based, though, as I'm guessing it will give a better shave?

Also, I was trying to figure out if I should buy a new DE Razor or if it's the safety razor blades I should be focusing on, or perhaps even technique?
I'm having trouble with my head shaves as they're not as smooth as I've like. Back of the head usually feels pretty stubbly after 2-3 passes in certain areas (I usually got with the grain once and the against the grain at least 3 times), and then when I do more passes, I usually end up with nicks and cuts, and it's also taking me a long time to do (usually 45 minutes on average). I usually also go 2-3 days between head shaves as I just don't have the time to do it everyday, so that is another reason I like to try and get it decently smooth so it lasts 2 or so days between head shaves.

The current razors I've tried are Leaf Shave, Leaf Thorn and a cheap Schick DE safety razor (I can find a link if you guys need to see it. It's got a pretty long handle. I am guessing it's not a great handle/razor, though, as it only cost about $15, maybe $20 at most).

In order of preference so far, probably the Leaf Thorn gives me the best shave (I find the Leaf Shave too bulky and hard to get around certain places on my head and some areas on the top/back sides of my head are usually left with some rough patches I can't seem to get down easily). I'd rate the Leaf Shave second overall and the Schick DE safety razor 3rd. When I first started shaving my head (it's been close to a year since I've been doing it now), I did start with a cartridge razor for the first 5 or 6 weeks, but then decided to try the Schick DE safety razor that I bought a few months prior at my local Aldi store as I wanted to give one a try. Just didn't think it would be a head shave the first time as I also started growing a beard at the time, so I couldn't practise on my face. Probably not the best idea as it was the first time I've ever used a safety razor and it was on my head ;). Needless to say, I got quite a few cuts/nicks that first time. Not a fun experience as it left me with a pretty sore/raw head lol. I also wasn't satisfied with the cartridge razor as it was causing me some irritation and not really giving me a good head shave. It always ended up a bit rough and the multiple passes with the pulling/tugging probably caused the irritation (I only tried a cheap 5 blade knock off similar to the Gillette Fusion style razors. Not sure if an actual Gillette cartridge razor or Schick Hydro style razor would have been much better. I also didn't like the amount of plastic waste, and also the cost of the cartridges to continue going down that path).

Anyway, just curious what you guys think? I will also list all the blades I've tried and what I think of them in another post or add it to this one. Maybe that can help determine if I need to keep trying other blades, or if it's my technique, or if I should try a different/more aggressive/less aggressive DE safety razor.

Last edited:
Welcome 👋

I can’t help you with your current razor choices but I can show you mine. Razorock Eco that takes a half DE blade. I shave my head every 48 hours and at home this is what I use. When traveling I also had good shaves with the Fatip Lo Storto or a simple Super Blue/Lord Tech. I do 2 passes WTG and ATG for a close to BBS result. Cream wise I would suggest to you Palmolive which should be readily available in OZ.

2DBF4E26-6C4A-43A1-B97A-03EFE97A00FF.jpeg

Welcome 👋

I can’t help you with your current razor choices but I can show you mine. Razorock Eco that takes a half DE blade. I shave my head every 48 hours and at home this is what I use. When traveling I also had good shaves with the Fatip Lo Storto or a simple Super Blue/Lord Tech. I do 2 passes WTG and ATG for a close to BBS result. Cream wise I would suggest to you Palmolive which should be readily available in OZ.

View attachment 1627997

The Razorock Eco seems very interesting. I will look into it.

As for the shaving soap/cream, I should have mentioned I always prefer something with natural ingredients which is why I originally chose the Taconic.

I also always lean towards animal over plant based stuff, but didn't try a tallow soap (there was a local Aussie one) as I wasn't sure if the tallow would cause issues with the drain after a while. Anyone have any experience with that?

Could you possibly give me links to those other two razors you mentioned? I'll have to see if they're available in AU. If not, I can always try ordering directly from the US if they're on Amazon or their own online store ships overseas.

Also, what type of shaving brush do you guys recommend? I'm currently using an old synthetic one, but I want to get a better brand. Should I stick with synthetic?

Welcome to the forum !!
Thanks. Appreciate it.

For a tallow soap I would suggest to just get a stick of ARKO. It's cheap and reliable, scent (citronella/Ivory soap) is a bit polarizing.

The Fatip model is the Lo Storto Open Comb SLant (FOCS), there are a couple of versions

The Lord "Tech" model is the L122

Result wise I would rate them Eco/FOCS/Lord L122

The Eco shaves close but can bite, the FOCS is kind of Goldilocks, the Lord is mild and an easy ride.

Welcome aboard!

I don’t have any of your razors and I am not a head shaver, so take this with at least a grain of salt. I suggest start by focusing on your technique and razor blade choice. Once your technique is solid and you have optimized your blade choice, then consider other razor options.

I say give a little extra attention to technique before spending more money on razors. With the Leaf and Leaf Thorn you should be able to get a nice smooth BBS on the back of the head. For me, that is the hardest and most stubborn turf to get smooth.

Two suggestions: 1. across the grain is the money pass for me back there. 2. Stretch the skin as much as you can by putting chin to chest and using your free hand to pull from back to front on top of head.

For myself personally, the Henson Al13 medium was the first razor to get me bbs on the back fringe; even smoother than Gillette Fusion cartriges. It is still my favorite head shaving razor.

For a tallow soap I would suggest to just get a stick of ARKO. It's cheap and reliable, scent (citronella/Ivory soap) is a bit polarizing.

The Fatip model is the Lo Storto Open Comb SLant (FOCS), there are a couple of versions

Thanks. I will take a look at all of those when I have some time.

The Lord "Tech" model is the L122
Cool, thanks. I'll have a bit of a look at them on my next days off.
Result wise I would rate them Eco/FOCS/Lord L122

The Eco shaves close but can bite, the FOCS is kind of Goldilocks, the Lord is mild and an easy ride.
I did have a look for the Eco, can't seem to find it in Australia, but not sure about it as I already have the Leaf Thorn (I wonder if it would be much different performance wise?). For the FOCS, what did you mean by "goldilocks"?
Welcome. You are in the right place.
Thanks. Appreciate it.
Welcome aboard!

I don’t have any of your razors and I am not a head shaver, so take this with at least a grain of salt. I suggest start by focusing on your technique and razor blade choice. Once your technique is solid and you have optimized your blade choice, then consider other razor options.
I think you've convinced me to definitely try practising more and try more blades (I've tried 7 or 8 so far). I have to write out which ones so maybe you guys can give me more suggestions, but I'm not too good at describing things. Will try and write out a list with some short thoughts on the current blades I've used within the next few days.
I say give a little extra attention to technique before spending more money on razors. With the Leaf and Leaf Thorn you should be able to get a nice smooth BBS on the back of the head. For me, that is the hardest and most stubborn turf to get smooth.
Yeah, I think you guys are right. A little more practise couldn't hurt.
Two suggestions: 1. across the grain is the money pass for me back there. 2. Stretch the skin as much as you can by putting chin to chest and using your free hand to pull from back to front on top of head.
I don't normally go across the grain much, but will give this a go. Also, thanks for the tips on the chin and how/where to try stretching the skin. Will try it next shave.
For myself personally, the Henson Al13 medium was the first razor to get me bbs on the back fringe; even smoother than Gillette Fusion cartriges. It is still my favorite head shaving razor.
Cool. I will have a look at the Henson. Also, I will try going across the gain on the back fringe (If I am understanding correctly, this is definitely my trouble spot. Pretty much the back of my head is hardest to do - I don't know if it's like that for everyone?).

Reactions: ewk
Thanks. I will take a look at all of those when I have some time.

Cool, thanks. I'll have a bit of a look at them on my next days off.

I did have a look for the Eco, can't seem to find it in Australia, but not sure about it as I already have the Leaf Thorn (I wonder if it would be much different performance wise?). For the FOCS, what did you mean by "goldilocks"?

Thanks. Appreciate it.

I think you've convinced me to definitely try practising more and try more blades (I've tried 7 or 8 so far). I have to write out which ones so maybe you guys can give me more suggestions, but I'm not too good at describing things. Will try and write out a list with some short thoughts on the current blades I've used within the next few days.

Yeah, I think you guys are right. A little more practise couldn't hurt.

I don't normally go across the grain much, but will give this a go. Also, thanks for the tips on the chin and how/where to try stretching the skin. Will try it next shave.

Cool. I will have a look at the Henson. Also, I will try going across the gain on the back fringe (If I am understanding correctly, this is definitely my trouble spot. Pretty much the back of my head is hardest to do - I don't know if it's like that for everyone?).

On the FOCS, it shaves closer than the Tech but not as close as the ECO. On the other hand I never managed to nick myself with it while the ECO is totally capable of doing that.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Welcome aboard! As you may gather from my avatar, I only shave my head. :)

It's proper to spend time building and strengthening technique. There's a saying to the effect that a master can do more with imperfect tools than a beginner can do with the best kit. Sure. True, like most such sayings; but also not true, like most such sayings. Which is to say, we can't really use generalities to address individual contexts.

I will say that you appear to be hitting the age where hair gets harder. I find that razors people say are generally mild generally don't do a great job getting that hard hair for me. Ditto for blades considered mild. Not to say I don't like a mild razor, but usually I need to do more passes and that can lead to irritation. On the other hand, if I use a razor that seems aggressive I have to be super careful because my head has very little padding under the skin. Nicks happen. I tend to gravitate toward medium to low-aggressive razors and medium blades (usually Astra SP).

For me, that's razors like the RazoRock BBS-OC (slightly too mild for me), and then a bunch of slants. My favourites are the RazoRock Superslant L3SB, Merkur 37, Above the Tie S2 and X1 (another slightly mild razor), RazoRock Wunderbar and the Rex Supply Konsul adjustable slant. That's a partial list.

The three that seem to do the best for me on the hard hair are the Above the Tie S2, RazoRock Superslant L3 and Rex Konsul. They are just that --><-- much ever so slightly better than the others. There are a lot of razors that can get me pretty well shaved, these are just the ones at the very top of my list at the moment. Here's where the technique helps: I have used enough razors for long enough that I can work with the strengths of these razors to get the best possible shaves.

Doing a bunch of ATG passes is a great recipe for irritation, I think. I do two passes, WTG and ATG. I usually have some cleanups to do, including a bit of skin-stretching over a couple of spots.

O.H.

I came from cartridge razors for shaving my head, and stayed with them for months after I starting using a DE razor on my face.

Finally, I bought a Leaf just to break the cartridge dependence, and used that for a short while.

I have typical male pattern baldness that has progressed to the point that I am left with a typical "horse shoe" hair line - the crown of my head only has a few stragglers, but mostly bald.

I found that the Leaf seems to work best on the sides and back of my head where my hair is still dense but is very ineffective in removing the few hairs on the top of my scalp. It cuts, but leaves a prickly stubble that I have found requires a non-pivoting razor to remove.

So I bought an aluminum Razorock Hawk, which takes Artist Club blades, and it terrified me. Using guarded blades I worked up my courage and had a shave. Got my share of nicks, but it was very close in two passes with touch up. First pass I go across the grain on the sides and with the grain around back, followed by a second pass against the grain (south to north), ending with touch up, mainly around and behind my ears

I liked the Hawk so I bought the stainless steel version (the V3, safety bar) which shaved just as well but is much heavier, and honestly much nicer.

Next, I decided that I wanted to try the Razorock Hawk Eco, another aluminum razor, as I liked the idea that it takes half a DE blade which allows for a TON of blade choices. It shaves very well.

The last razor I bought is a Blaclkand Vector, another AC blade razor, and it has become my favorite. I only use it for my head shaves with Feather ProGuard blades and it shaves wonderfully close and rarely Nick's my scalp.

My second favorite is the $29 Hawk Eco with a DE half-blade. It shaves very well, with the end result every bit as good as the $220 Vector. In fact, I have two of the Hawk Eco, and could be perfectly happy just using those.

It's funny, but after not using my Leaf for months, I needed a quick head shave today and grabbed the Leaf. It shaved ok, with no worries about blood, but I still had to finish with my Vector to get BBS.

Short version:

I like the Razorock Hawk for AC blades or the Eco for DE half-blades and either can be had from Italian Barber for $29 and often $20 on sale.

If you want to go all-in on AC blades, the Vector is hard to beat, but the Razorock Hawk V3 in stainless steel is very nice.

All IMHO, of course. 🙂

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
The last razor I bought is a Blaclkand Vector, another AC blade razor, and it has become my favorite. I only use it for my head shaves with Feather ProGuard blades and it shaves wonderfully close and rarely Nick's my scalp.
I agree, Gary. I get excellent head shaves from the Vector. I use it on my face as well.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

I came from cartridge razors for shaving my head, and stayed with them for months after I starting using a DE razor on my face.

Maybe I should have done this, but I also started growing a beard for the first time when I started shaving my head, so I couldn't really practice on my face.

If using a cartridge razor, what do most of you guys here use?

Finally, I bought a Leaf just to break the cartridge dependence, and used that for a short while.

Yeah, the Leaf provides a quicker shave if you don't care about BBS. There's too many spots I can't get smooth with it, though, so it ends up taking too many passes increasing my shaving time (something I am trying to bring down with something that also requires less passes for less irritation).

I have typical male pattern baldness that has progressed to the point that I am left with a typical "horse shoe" hair line - the crown of my head only has a few stragglers, but mostly bald.

I have a bit of a receding hairline at the front with a widows peak or whatever it's called, and a small spot that is bald on the back of my crown. I find the back of the head fringe and top/sides of crown hardest to shave. With both the Leaf and Leaf Thorn, I do also have trouble with the top of the crown. It leaves a bit of stubble that I can't seem to get down.

I found that the Leaf seems to work best on the sides and back of my head where my hair is still dense but is very ineffective in removing the few hairs on the top of my scalp. It cuts, but leaves a prickly stubble that I have found requires a non-pivoting razor to remove.

Yeah, I guess it's similar for me. The Leaf if good on the sides and back of the head, but not too good at all on the top of my head, back/sides of the back fringe, and also tight spots around the ears. The Thorn is better in the tighter areas (I guess it should be as it's more compact and designed for that), but it just takes me too many passes to get it BBS in certain spots and then it starts causing cuts/irritation if I try too many passes.

So I bought an aluminum Razorock Hawk, which takes Artist Club blades, and it terrified me. Using guarded blades I worked up my courage and had a shave. Got my share of nicks, but it was very close in two passes with touch up. First pass I go across the grain on the sides and with the grain around back, followed by a second pass against the grain (south to north), ending with touch up, mainly around and behind my ears

I'll have to look into these Artist Club razors. What is the difference between these and DE razor blades/DE razor blades you can snap in half? The blades look completely different. I can only find the Feather Artist Club Pro blades at one of the stores I shop at in AU (not sure if there a bunch of other different brands? If there is, maybe I can find somewhere else to order from).

Are the single edge Artist Club blades much better than the DE style of blades? Is this also something where you need to try different brand AC blades to find the ones that are most suitable?

Do you get many shaves out of each blade? A 20 pack costs about $24.95 here.

I liked the Hawk so I bought the stainless steel version (the V3, safety bar) which shaved just as well but is much heavier, and honestly much nicer.

I'm going to look into this as it seems like a nice razor. I found a store here that only sells the V1 and V2. The V1 is a lot more expensive for some reason, though. Is the V3 much better than the previous versions?

Next, I decided that I wanted to try the Razorock Hawk Eco, another aluminum razor, as I liked the idea that it takes half a DE blade which allows for a TON of blade choices. It shaves very well.

So this would be like my Leaf Thorn blade wise? I can just snap a DE safety razor blade and use it in this razor? If I already have the Leaf Thorn, you think it would still be worth trying this?

This thing looks really nice. Not sure if I want to go with something this pricey right off the bat, though.

My second favorite is the $29 Hawk Eco with a DE half-blade. It shaves very well, with the end result every bit as good as the $220 Vector. In fact, I have two of the Hawk Eco, and could be perfectly happy just using those.

Wow. Pretty cool that you're finding this better than the Hawk V3. Seems like an awesome budget friendly option. Are you also using this for both head shaves and face shaves, or is it better for one over the other?

It's funny, but after not using my Leaf for months, I needed a quick head shave today and grabbed the Leaf. It shaved ok, with no worries about blood, but I still had to finish with my Vector to get BBS.

Out of all the 3 razors I have (Leaf, Leaf Thorn, Schick DE safety razor), I definitely find the Leaf quickest, but then that time is negated due to having to do more passes to get closer to BBS. If you're not looking for BBS, I guess it's not too bad of a razor (hard to cut yourself with it, so really good in that regard). How long on average do head shaves take you with your various razors? Mine are all 35-50 minutes on average.

Basically, I can trying to get that shaving time down. It doesn't have to be perfectly BBS, just looking for something close that doesn't take that much time.

I also may as well ask, as I found a store in AU that sells Razorock razors, and the guy helping me (he's been super helpful with all the questions I've asked) has recommended the Gamechanger .84-P. He said he thinks that will give me the best balance between shaving time and smoothness. It's a bit pricey here ($129.95 - might be cheaper to order from an overseas store even with shipping cost added), though, so I am just not sure whether to give it a go or not?

I'm also just not sure a DE razor is best for me and my head. I only have the cheap Schick DE safety razor to go by (never tried an other DE razors), and I tried using it again for the first time in quite a few months with a Super Iridium DE blade, but ended up with more cuts than I've ever had before using it (not sure if it was the blade as I never used a Super Iridium in it before, or my technique as I was used to the Leaf Shave and Leaf Thorn which are a lot more forgiving razors even if you use a bit of force with them). I also don't have a lot of padding on my head (been trying to gain weight), but I have a high metabolism and some other factors/issues not allowing me to gain weight like I want to/am trying to, so very low body fat (I think this might not help when shaving my head).

I like the Razorock Hawk for AC blades or the Eco for DE half-blades and either can be had from Italian Barber for $29 and often $20 on sale.

Is this Italianbarber.com? If so, thank you very much, as I just checked out this store and it seems they ship to Australia, so this opens up even more options for me. Do they go on sale often as I'd love to try them at those prices (it would negate some of the shipping cost)? Even at those prices in full, it's almost worth me trying both as here in AU the Hawk V2 is triple the cost and I can't find the Eco for sale anywhere.

If you want to go all-in on AC blades, the Vector is hard to beat, but the Razorock Hawk V3 in stainless steel is very nice

Yeah, I don't know much about the Artist Club blades. You guys will have to tell me what the advantages and disadvantages are compared to regular DE blades. Also, what are the differences between the Hawk V2 and V3?

So for head shaving, how would you rate all your razors? From what I am understanding, Vector is number 1, then the Hawk V2/V3, Eco are all on a similar level and then the Leaf maybe 3rd?

I thought I'd reply in a second post as the other one I just posted is probably already too long to add to ;).

Welcome aboard! As you may gather from my avatar, I only shave my head. :)

Thanks. Really awesome help from you guys so far.

It's proper to spend time building and strengthening technique. There's a saying to the effect that a master can do more with imperfect tools than a beginner can do with the best kit. Sure. True, like most such sayings; but also not true, like most such sayings. Which is to say, we can't really use generalities to address individual contexts.

Pretty good saying that is most likely spot on in this case. I've been trying to, but can't seem to get my technique any better. Maybe I need to take more time, go slower or something. Maybe also I shouldn't do it at night when I am really tired from work where I tend to get impatient and rush sometimes.

I will say that you appear to be hitting the age where hair gets harder. I find that razors people say are generally mild generally don't do a great job getting that hard hair for me. Ditto for blades considered mild. Not to say I don't like a mild razor, but usually I need to do more passes and that can lead to irritation. On the other hand, if I use a razor that seems aggressive I have to be super careful because my head has very little padding under the skin. Nicks happen. I tend to gravitate toward medium to low-aggressive razors and medium blades (usually Astra SP).

You could be right. The mild DE blades I've tried seemed to leave quite a few rough spots/stubble for me. i also agree that so far, I do find a mild razor/blade nice to shave with, but the extra passes are what is causing me the cuts/irritation, so not really a good option.

For me, that's razors like the RazoRock BBS-OC (slightly too mild for me), and then a bunch of slants. My favourites are the RazoRock Superslant L3SB, Merkur 37, Above the Tie S2 and X1 (another slightly mild razor), RazoRock Wunderbar and the Rex Supply Konsul adjustable slant. That's a partial list.

I just had a look at the slants (didn't even know they existed). What is the advantage of these, and are they more geared for face shaves, or are they equally good for both FS and HS? I am guessing you'd have to be more careful with them than a regular DE razor, or not?

The three that seem to do the best for me on the hard hair are the Above the Tie S2, RazoRock Superslant L3 and Rex Konsul. They are just that --><-- much ever so slightly better than the others. There are a lot of razors that can get me pretty well shaved, these are just the ones at the very top of my list at the moment. Here's where the technique helps: I have used enough razors for long enough that I can work with the strengths of these razors to get the best possible shaves.

I will have to do a bit more reading about these slant razors as I've never even seen a video with anyone use one (let alone a video of someone head shaving with them). How pricey are all the ones at the top of your list?

Doing a bunch of ATG passes is a great recipe for irritation, I think. I do two passes, WTG and ATG. I usually have some cleanups to do, including a bit of skin-stretching over a couple of spots.

I think this is what I am trying to do. No more than 2-3 passes at most. Two, if possible like you said (WTG and ATG), would be ideal, but I'd also be good with a WTG, XTG and ATG passes to make it three. As I mentioned in my post above, was recommended that I try the Gamechanger .84-P (not sure if you've had any experience with this and/or what you think of it if you have?).

I also like the sounds of all the razors GPJoe recommended. Not sure how all the ones you've recommended stack up to them, though.

Also, what do you guys recommend for shaving soaps and brushes. I wanted a good natural ingredient shave soap (don't mind spending for this), and a mid-tier synthetic brush that isn't too expensive.

I was recommended Martin De Candre shave soap as I was told it lasts ages and is good performing, and I also wanted to try a tallow based soap and was recommended Mike's Natural Soaps and also Barrister and Mann soaps for tallow based. For Shaving brushes, I was recommended the RazoRock BC Silvertip Plissoft Synthetic shaving brush. Curious what you guys think of those soaps and brush?

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've been trying to, but can't seem to get my technique any better. Maybe I need to take more time, go slower or something. Maybe also I shouldn't do it at night when I am really tired from work where I tend to get impatient and rush sometimes.

Mostly once you've got the basics sorted out then "technique" is a matter of just doing it, day in and day out, while also reflecting on what you've changed lately, what you haven't, and how it seems to be working. I prefer to shave earlier in the day, usually right after breakfast. In the evenings I'm trying to slow down and not have too many things nagging at me.

What is the advantage of these, and are they more geared for face shaves, or are they equally good for both FS and HS? I am guessing you'd have to be more careful with them than a regular DE razor, or not?

We can't generalize about slants, either. :) Like any type of razor, some are milder than others and some just don't work for some shavers while others are great. There's a lot of content on B&B about slants -- some of it is a bit over the top but I'm sure you can spot hyperbole. They offer a different shave experience; one I quite like. Basically, by angling the edge they create a slicing action on hair instead of a chopping action as with a plain DE.

I will have to do a bit more reading about these slant razors as I've never even seen a video with anyone use one (let alone a video of someone head shaving with them). How pricey are all the ones at the top of your list?

Slants are used like any other DE razor. (There are also SE slants. Same idea.) Because a nice CNC stainless slant requires a little more stock to make and bit more machining, they can be pricier. Those at the top of my list are up above US$125.00.

There are less expensive slants, and there is not a one-to-one correspondence between price and quality. Right off the hop there are three slants that you could probably pick up for the total cost of one of the higher-priced ones. Fatip Open Comb Slant, RazoRock German 37 and any of the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "Monster" series. They all have their fans. I'm one, too!

As I mentioned in my post above, was recommended that I try the Gamechanger .84-P (not sure if you've had any experience with this and/or what you think of it if you have?).

I also like the sounds of all the razors GPJoe recommended. Not sure how all the ones you've recommended stack up to them, though.

I've not used the Gamechanger. Nice razor, I hear, and it also has a lot of fans. Plain DEs don't really attract my interest, though. What I can say is that in the end it's how the razor shaves you that is the ultimate factor. As far as I can see nobody's recommending anything dangerous or silly to you, so you could probably start anywhere and build from there.

Also, what do you guys recommend for shaving soaps and brushes. I wanted a good natural ingredient shave soap (don't mind spending for this), and a mid-tier synthetic brush that isn't too expensive.

Can't quite believe I'm going to say this, but pick up a stick or puck of Arko. Considered as soap it's got good slickness and longevity. Either you can ignore the smell or you can't -- I tell myself at least it doesn't smell like Wilkinson Sword. :)

My usual go-to is homemade shaving soap. There are some excellent recipes that are not terribly complicated -- if you can make a casserole you can make soap. I admit the Arko I'm using up right now was a gift about three years ago from a member. Took me that long to work myself up to it. :)

As for brushes, I tried synths for a while but it was always too soft for me. I tried boar and found my happy place. An Omega 10005 brush from the drugstore will set you back about ten bucks and last for years. My last synth is in a tube as a travel brush, although it's been years since I've travelled.

O.H.

Top Bottom