What's new

Questions about Gillette Blades...

Please, in your experience, what is the best of these blades and why?

Attachments

• 299.jpg
    299.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 2
  • 1389.jpg
    1389.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 5
  • çllkkiiu.png
    çllkkiiu.png
    562.8 KB · Views: 4
  • gillette-wilkinson-sword-saloon-pack-10-razor-blades-p484-596_image.jpg
    gillette-wilkinson-sword-saloon-pack-10-razor-blades-p484-596_image.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 5
7 O’clock Black is easily the best of the bunch.

The Yellows are sharp but on the harsh side, the Green is a good blade but nothing special, and the less said about those Gillette Swords the better.

7 O’clock Black is the perfect mix of sharp but not too sharp, and smooooth. They’re very similar to Gillette Platinum. I was surprised when I found out they’re made in India and not at PPI in Russia.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
All excellent blades by Gillette brand but the The 7oClock SP(blacks) are one of favorites. They are similar to a GSB when using and I really enjoy the feel + results and also they have reasonable longevity. Like I have mentioned before Gillette set the standard and will always be a winner in my blade collection.
The only blade I have not tried are the 7oClock sharp edge(yellows) and one day I might try them but they will be good because of the high quality Gillette sets IMO.

Remember that matching the blade to the razor is important. People also have different preferences, so the answer of which is "best" is not always the same. The best thing to do is try a sample for yourself.

Of those, I like both the black and the yellow the most in my razors. The blacks have gotten more expensive, lately I'm using the Perma-Sharp Super more, as @Possum092 brought up. They are excellent blades for the money recently.

1659497336378.png

You need to specify your criteria for "best".

I have experience with three of those blades. In my opinion, Super Platinum is the best, overall, no question. It is sharp, fairly smooth and looong lasting. SharpEdge is very sharp, almost as sharp as Feather blades. Super Stainless is perfect for daily shaves, as it is well balanced between sharpness and smoothness. I would compare Super Stainless with Astra SP.
For me, as a daily shaver, Super Stainless is best.

In this pool for opinions, I'll give mine.

7 o clock super platinum are the best, very smooth.

Gillette Wilkinson Sword are also great blades that can be obtained for half the price of the blacks or even less.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
All the 7 O'Clock blades work great for me in the razors that I use them in. I would say try them all.

There is no "best". Is is very sibjective. You should try all blades and decide for yourself which are "best" for you. What is your favourite might be the least favourite for me.

+1! YMMV is the rule for blades!! Best to try things for yourself!!

So Wilkinson is now owned by Gillette? I still must have 75-100 of the old ones and they work fine. I haven't tried any of the offerings listed by the OP. The only Gillettes I have are the Silver Blues. I think I bought 100 of them a few years ago.

So Wilkinson is now owned by Gillette? I still must have 75-100 of the old ones and they work fine. I haven't tried any of the offerings listed by the OP. The only Gillettes I have are the Silver Blues. I think I bought 100 of them a few years ago.
Wilkison Sword is only owned by Gillette in India and I think Brazil.

Last edited:
Reactions: CCS
I have only tried the 7 O’clock Yellows. It is one of those blades that peak in performance after/during the second shave. After that they hold the edge quite well, and are quite smooth.
I need my blades to be at it's best on the first use. Edge longevity is not even a factor i consider. For that reason Perma-Sharp and Nacet blades works well for me. I have not found a razor that does not work well with a Perma-Sharp blade yet. Nacet blades are a bit more picky.
If you are one of those who change a blade one a week, the Yellow might be a good choice. I have a tuck of the black super platinum i need to try.

There is no "best". Is is very sibjective. You should try all blades and decide for yourself which are "best" for you. What is your favourite might be the least favourite for me.
I know it's subjective, but I'd like to know everyone's experience.

You need to specify your criteria for "best".

I have experience with three of those blades. In my opinion, Super Platinum is the best, overall, no question. It is sharp, fairly smooth and looong lasting. SharpEdge is very sharp, almost as sharp as Feather blades. Super Stainless is perfect for daily shaves, as it is well balanced between sharpness and smoothness. I would compare Super Stainless with Astra SP.
For me, as a daily shaver, Super Stainless is best.
Anyway, you exemplified me "the best" of these three. These were my doubts. Thanks.

PPI produces some of the best blades. I could list a Gillette blade in my top 10 for each position. Some of my favorites in no particular order are:

7 O'clock Sharp Edge Yellow
Perma Sharp (gold,red)
GSB
Platinum
Polsilver/Wizamet
Nacet
Astra SP
Sputnik
Minora

Non-PPI Gillette:
Platinum Plus (Brazil)

Top Bottom