What's new

Questions about Floid after sale to Martelli/Proraso

Ok, I suspected as much since it has Oakmoss in the ingredients.

Thanks for the info :)
I stocked up a bit a while ago to be on the save side.

2F479AB1-34E4-451D-AC71-A73DA4555A32.jpeg

Hi, while doing some research on Floid vs Proraso, I came across this thread and this picture has me somewhat confused. You say that the middle bottle is an Italian version, but from the typing on it it's Spanish? Also, everywhere I find it, the backside of the bottle/box references the Spanish website and company. I can't seem to find any Italian Vigoroso.
Also, all the Vigoroso ones I find all contain Oakmoss, but I guess they cut the amount of it to stay within the new limit.

Cheers.

I believe the description of Floïd Vigoroso below as “Italian” to be incorrect.
The word “Masaje” on the label is Spanish and does not exist in Italian.
The word “mentolado” is also Spanish and would AFAIK read in Italian as “mentolato”.

Furthermore, “Colomer Beauty” on the side label of the packaging is a Spanish company, headquartered in Barcelona, and not Italian.

Here the picture from a previous post in this thread (red highlight is mine):

Left to right: Floïd The Genuine 1932 - Floïd Vigoroso (Italian) - Floïd The Genuine (aka Floïd Amber)
1661897373547.jpeg

What might ultimately clarify the issue is an image of the packaging that says “Floïd Vigoroso” on the packaging and shows an Italian manufacturer on the side of the packaging, but as I said earlier, I have never seen a bottle of Floïd Vigoroso that was not manufactured in Spain.

Regarding the tree moss, the most likely explanation is that the Spanish manufacturer of Floïd did not make the change (for trademark, licensing or other reasons) to a formula without tree moss and withdrew the product from the market when the ban on tree moss took effect.

What is surprising is that Floïd had originally (since 1932) been produced in Spain, long before the Italian production started, and now only the Italian Floïd remains available.

Sad really, isn’t it?

B.

Last edited:
Hi, while doing some research on Floid vs Proraso, I came across this thread and this picture has me somewhat confused. You say that the middle bottle is an Italian version, but from the typing on it it's Spanish? Also, everywhere I find it, the backside of the bottle/box references the Spanish website and company. I can't seem to find any Italian Vigoroso.
Also, all the Vigoroso ones I find all contain Oakmoss, but I guess they cut the amount of it to stay within the new limit.

Cheers.
All the Floid Vigoroso aftershaves are for the Spanish market. But the latest (maybe even last) version is produced/distributed by the Italian company Ludovico Martelli S.p.A. The bottle shown is the latest version and therefore the "Italian" version.

The box of the shown bottle is the one on the left in the first picture:

I believe the description of Floïd Vigoroso below as “Italian” to be incorrect.
The word “Masaje” on the label is Spanish and does not exist in Italian.
The word “mentolado” is also Spanish and would AFAIK read in Italian as “mentolato”.

Furthermore, “Colomer Beauty” on the side label of the packaging is a Spanish company, headquartered in Barcelona, and not Italian.

Here the picture from a previous post in this thread (red highlight is mine):

Left to right: Floïd The Genuine 1932 - Floïd Vigoroso (Italian) - Floïd The Genuine (aka Floïd Amber)
View attachment 1514222

What might ultimately clarify the issue is an image of the packaging that says “Floïd Vigoroso” on the packaging and shows an Italian manufacturer on the side of the packaging, but as I said earlier, I have never seen a bottle of Floïd Vigoroso that was not manufactured in Spain.

Regarding the tree moss, the most likely explanation is that the Spanish manufacturer of Floïd did not make the change (for trademark, licensing or other reasons) to a formula without tree moss and withdrew the product from the market when the ban on tree moss took effect.

What is surprising is that Floïd had originally (since 1932) been produced in Spain, long before the Italian production started, and now only the Italian Floïd remains available.

Sad really, isn’t it?

B.
I know what you mean, but the bottle in the middle is made/distributed by Ludovico Martelli S.p.A. (same as Proraso). It is for the Spanish market, but sold by an Italian company. The picture of the box belonging to this bottle is the one on the left in the first picture in this post:

I'm unable to edit the post to prevent further confusion.

I know what you mean, but the bottle in the middle is made/distributed by Ludovico Martelli S.p.A. (same as Proraso). It is for the Spanish market, but sold by an Italian company.

This is where our views diverge.

I have never seen any indication that an Italian company produces/produced Floïd for (Spanish) Colomer Beauty.
To my understanding, there were two productions sites, one in Italy and one - apparently now defunct - in Spain, since none of the Spanish products has any reference to an Italian producer and only names Colomer Beauty.

Sometime between 1932 and now (according to an EU trademark database possibly since 2012), an Italian company acquired the Floïd trademark from the Spanish one and this trademark is currently owned by Ludovico Martelli S.p.A.
This, however, does not rule out that the Spanish company kept the right to continue producing their own version of Floïd, but could possibly have prevented them from adapting the formulation when the treemoss component was banned.

Hard to tell who of us is right, isn’t it?

Be that as it may, it would be nice to see a Floïd Vigoroso (without treemoss) back on the shelves again, and I don’t particularly care who makes it… :001_smile

B.

This is where our views diverge.

I have never seen any indication that an Italian company produces/produced Floïd for (Spanish) Colomer Beauty.
To my understanding, there were two productions sites, one in Italy and one - apparently now defunct - in Spain, since none of the Spanish products has any reference to an Italian producer and only names Colomer Beauty.

Sometime between 1932 and now (according to an EU trademark database possibly since 2012), an Italian company acquired the Floïd trademark from the Spanish one and this trademark is currently owned by Ludovico Martelli S.p.A.
This, however, does not rule out that the Spanish company kept the right to continue producing their own version of Floïd, but could possibly have prevented them from adapting the formulation when the treemoss component was banned.

Hard to tell who of us is right, isn’t it?

Be that as it may, it would be nice to see a Floïd Vigoroso (without treemoss) back on the shelves again, and I don’t particularly care who makes it… :001_smile

B.
I don't think our views diverge. I didn't and still don't know if Ludovico Martelli S.p.A. is producing the Vigorosso. That is the reason I said "made/distributed". Maybe not very clear, but I meant produced and/or distributed. (Probably no one is producing it anymore, as no vendor has it on the shelves unfortunately.)

I have not opened all databases and registers like you did about the Floïd aftershave and was not pretending I did so. I only posted the pictures of the bottles and boxes and noticed that the Ludovico Martelli S.p.A. doesn't have the "treemoss" ingredient. Because Ludovico Martelli S.p.A. is an Italian company I only stated "Italian" to show the difference between the Ludovico Martelli S.p.A. and Colomer Beauty (Spanish). I don't have more information than the Floïd products I have and which I really like, but nothing more. :001_smile

Just as you said, I don't care who makes it, as long as they do make it.

According to rumors here on B&B there could be 3 new Floïd releases. One of them is the current 1932 Genuine and I hope they will release a new Italian (yep, the real Italian :lol:) Blue and a new Vigoroso. I'm afraid that the new re-release Vigoroso is out of the question, because the new 1932 Genuine is the replacement for that, as the Italian Amber and Vigoroso/Suave are probably offspring of the real Floïd from 1932 where the current Genuine is based upon. (Disclaimer: All assumptions, no inside info.)

What do you think of this? The old Floïd Black on the left and the new one on the right. As you can see the company name has changed, but the address has not.

FloidBlackFront.jpg

FloidBlackCompany.jpg

Additional pictures of Spanish Floïd Blue:
FloidBlueFront.jpg
FloidBlueIngredients.jpg

West Coast Shaving has (new) Genuine in 150 ml. The Men's Room Barbershop has it in 400 ml - I bought mine here.

I am not seeing much Vigoroso. I would keep searching. I bought mine from Smallflower but they are now out of stock.

What a great and informative discussion here ...!! :syn:

Floid is one of my absolute favourite aftershaves, and I have been chasing info on what was going on elsewhere, I don't understand how this discussion here has managed to evade me.
I succeeded in getting one bottle of Vigoroso on Amazon.de just recently (the vendor's last bottle). It is different from the new 1932 formula for sure (more scent, menthol and alcohol in Vigoroso). But having used both Vigoroso and the Genuine for quite a long time before all these recent changes, I actually favoured the Genuine as my goto aftershave, and used the Vigoroso more on special occasions. The Genuine was more subtle, scent not as long lasting and imposing as the Vigoroso, which is what I prefer for an everyday aftershave. And the new 1932 formula is every bit as good as the Genuine before I think. That still leaves me to lament the dissappearance of the Vigoroso, which now, half a year after the discussion above, is more obvious (yes, it IS gone!). Would be very nice to know what's in stock next. It simply makes no sense in terms of business to just drop the Blue forever. Let's cross our fingers that the Martelli incarnation of Floid will revive it.
And THANKS for all the GREAT fotos of Floid vintage bottles and packaging..! This is by miles the most informative discussion of the topic I have found so far!

Yeah, I also found this thread informative. I had no clue Floid Vigoroso was on the way out. I preferred it to Genuine. I just ran out of Geniune and hoped to stock up on Vigoros and was surprised to find all the usual outlets in the states - Maggard, etc. - had only the former. Shoot. Looks like I'm strictly a Myrsol man now.

Yeah, I also found this thread informative. I had no clue Floid Vigoroso was on the way out. I preferred it to Genuine. I just ran out of Geniune and hoped to stock up on Vigoros and was surprised to find all the usual outlets in the states - Maggard, etc. - had only the former. Shoot. Looks like I'm strictly a Myrsol man now.

Its interesting thhat you prefer Vigoroso over Genuine, and yet also prefer Myrsol over Genuine. The Myrsols I have tried (Blue, K, Metisol, and the other "herbal" one) I find quite subtle, like the Genuine. Is the Myrsol X/F (usually compared to FLoid) and exception here?

I like Genuine ok, but I preferred the "bite" of Suave or Vigoroso. Myrsol F/Extra and Floid Geniune are verrrry close and both pretty subtle. I'd rather have Vigoroso or Suave, but given the situation, I'll stick with F/Extra. I'll actually try Myrsol 1919, which another poster in a different thread said was pretty close to Vigoroso.

I actually just finished up a week with Myrsol Blue. Myrsol Antesol, Plastic and Blue are my favorites from that company, plus I liked to have a bottle of Floid's around when I wanted something with methanol.

tried some proraso and it sucked

Floid was ok

Tbh - their marriage ain’t a big deal ….

My preference is spending a bit more and tallow based stuff so I’m not too bothered

Just to complicate things, where does Suave fit in?
I think the "common understanding" among Floid enthusiasts (whether this is actually true I am not sure), used to be that there are/were two lines of Floid aftershaves, a Spanish one and an Italian one. Vigoroso is/was Spanish, Genuine is Italian. Suave then, is a Spanish version of the Genuine (i.e. with less scent, menthol and alcohol than the Vigoroso), not available in the 400 ml bottle, only in the smaller 170 ml bottle. I have owned and used all three, my recollection based on user-experience is that Suave was identical to the Genuine.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A word of advice:
If you report a post and then make a direct reply to the individual whose post you reported about their post - Your post will be held in the same regard as you did the reported post, and your post will be deleted in addition to any action taken by the team on the reported post.

Top Bottom