What's new

Questions about Floid after sale to Martelli/Proraso

I've read a few comments in this forum that Floid was sold to Ludovico Martelli S.r.l., the company that owns Proraso. I can't seem to find anything about the purchase on the net. I think Revlon owned Floid even though the labels state Beautyge, SL. The old Beautyge Beauty Group website doesn't seem to be in existence and Revlon owns or owned the company anyway.

A check of my favorite Italian online shaving store along with Giftsandcare in Spain indicates that Mentolado Vigoroso is scarce or out of stock and doesn't seem to have been reformulated. I only see new reformulated labels for "The Genuine". I have both of the old versions and on my skin, there seems to be little difference in menthol strength between the two.

Proraso doesn't list or refer to Floid on their website either. If Proraso has indeed purchased Floid, does anyone know if:

1) Mentolado Vigoroso has been discontinued?
2) Will Floid Blue be reintroduced as others have posted on this forum
3) Will Floid finally have US distribution so the prices won't be twice (or more) what they are in Europe?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, here below your answers:

1) The Mentolado Vigoroso is a Spanish Floid, not Italian nor belonging to the Ludovico Martelli Company. I have no info to confirm or deny it being discontinued.

2) There are only rumors on this topic, ever since the arrival of the latest, reformulated The Genuine. There is nothing official communicated by the Martelli society.

3) I live in Italy and cannot answer in any way here, sorry.

Sir AtraSensor, indeed the two Floid "Genuines" are similar in scent and menthol, but have distinct and different personalities!
As the purchase of the Italian company was a private sale and was not a mega corporation, I doubt you'll find much public info.
And as far as U.S. distribution to reduce prices here is concerned, I wouldn't hold my breath!
Just splurge and enjoy!
After all, Father's Day is coming up soon!!

2 floids.jpg

Floid Vigorosso was reformulated by Ludovico Martelli S.p.A. They removed the treemoss extract.

Company information:
companies.jpg

Ingredients Colomer Beauty:
ingredients-colomer.jpg

Ingredients Ludovico Martelli S.p.A.:
ingredients-martelli.jpg

Floid Vigorosso was reformulated by Ludovico Martelli S.p.A. They removed the treemoss extract.

Company information:
View attachment 1479498

Ingredients Colomer Beauty:
View attachment 1479499

Ingredients Ludovico Martelli S.p.A.:
View attachment 1479500
This was an EU wide action and had nothing to do with the change of ownership.

Yes, I am aware of that, but it was still reformulated. I don't think they removed the tree moss when Colomer was still producing it. Maybe the more recent Colomer bottles had already removed the tree moss. The box in the pictures is rather old, so I don't know if they did with the last production of Vigorosso.

Yes, I am aware of that, but it was still reformulated. I don't think they removed the tree moss when Colomer was still producing it. Maybe the more recent Colomer bottles had already removed the tree moss. The box in the pictures is rather old, so I don't know if they did with the last production of Vigorosso.
This issue with tree/Oakmoss was on the table of producers at least from 2017 onwards. The actual ban only came in 2019 respectively 2021 to give enough time for reformulations.

This issue with tree/Oakmoss was on the table of producers at least from 2017 onwards. The actual ban only came in 2019 respectively 2021 to give enough time for reformulations.
That is exactly the reason why I think Colomer never released a single bottle without tree moss, therefore Ludovico Martelli was forced to reformulate the Floid Vigorosso.

Thank you very much for these valuable information, Sir. All Floids are Italian made now. :gunsmilie:
You're welcome.

I don't think "all" Floids are made in Italy anymore. The Spanish Vigorosso and Suave are out of stock almost everywhere. It's possible that the original Spanish Floids are discontinued. There is probably a reason why they released a Genuine 1932 Floid in a Spanish 150ml Floid bottle.

I must say that the new Genuine 1932 is very nice and resembles the Italian Amber Floid (the older one before the grey sticker). I never had the Amber with the grey sticker.

The older Spanish Vigorosso with Treemoss was much better than the newer without it. It had a fuller body with a more powdery background. The newer Vigorosso is OK, but I prefer the Italian Genuine 1932, because it has that full body that the old Vigorosso had. It would be nice if they would release a new updated version of the Vigorosso with a Treemoss replacement, so that it's back to it's old glory.

I recently bought both the Vigoroso made in Italy and the Genuine made in Italy. My Genuine is significantly lighter in scent than my Vigoroso. Perhaps it is the result of my nose running (from ragweed?), but I can barely smell the Genuine, though my wife says she can smell it. I would describe my Genuine as having less scent than my Myrsol F/Extra.

Is this consistent or different than your experience, @JohnDee?

I recently bought both the Vigoroso made in Italy and the Genuine made in Italy. My Genuine is significantly lighter in scent than my Vigoroso. Perhaps it is the result of my nose running (from ragweed?), but I can barely smell the Genuine, though my wife says she can smell it. I would describe my Genuine as having less scent than my Myrsol F/Extra.

Is this consistent or different than your experience, @JohnDee?
I agree with you. The Genuine is much lighter in scent than the Vigoroso. To me the Vigoroso is a completely different scent than the new 1932 Genuine. I see al the posts comparing the new Genuine to the Vigoroso. I understand the "remind me of" posts, but I don't see why they compare it 1:1. They probably compare it 1:1 because most vendors replaced their Vigoroso stock with the Genuine on their site.

The Vigoroso is stronger in scent than the Genuine, but the latest Italian version of the Vigoroso is not as refined and strong as the original Spanish Vigoroso.

The current Genuine is a less sweet version of the "amber" (older Genuine pictured below) with a bit of latest release Italian Vigoroso to my nose. The old amber Floïd has a more candy-like sweetness to it than the 1932 Genuine.

The thing I noticed is that the later releases of the Genuine and Vigoroso went in the same direction scentwise, but they are still different.

Left to right: Floïd The Genuine 1932 - Floïd Vigoroso (Italian) - Floïd The Genuine (aka Floïd Amber)
Floid-line.jpg

Thanks for that, @JohnDee!

I am just loving the scent and the scent strength of the new Vigoroso. Not sure I would want the scent to be any stronger.

I also wonder if the new Original contains less alcohol than the new Vigoroso.

Thanks for that, @JohnDee!

I am just loving the scent and the scent strength of the new Vigoroso. Not sure I would want the scent to be any stronger.

I also wonder if the new Original contains less alcohol than the new Vigoroso.

It's my pleasure.

I don't know if the new Genuine has less alcohol than the new Vigoroso. I haven't noticed any difference in alcohol burn, but in my opinion alcohol burn says more about the quality of the shave than the alcohol contents.

Do you think the new Genuine has less alcohol? The new Genuine has more skin care ingredients, so it could be more soothing.

The removal of tree moss may have been a good move. I don’t have any allergies worth mentioning, but when I used Spanish or Italian Floïd too often, I felt a slight itchy sensation in my neck area and had to stop using it for a while. In the end, I switched to Myrsol (F/Extra and Antesol) and Epsilon (Amber) alternatives.

Regarding the (Spanish*) Floïd Vigoroso, I don’t have much hope that it will come back as my supplier next door (I live now in Portugal) in Spain has stopped listing it for quite some time now. And they should be one of the first to receive new stock without the tree moss component.
Again, this is one of the areas where I would not mind being proven wrong.

*I have never come across any Floïd Vigoroso that was not Spanish.

B.

Left to right: Floïd The Genuine 1932 - Floïd Vigoroso (Italian) - Floïd The Genuine (aka Floïd Amber)
View attachment 1513769

Hi, while doing some research on Floid vs Proraso, I came across this thread and this picture has me somewhat confused. You say that the middle bottle is an Italian version, but from the typing on it it's Spanish? Also, everywhere I find it, the backside of the bottle/box references the Spanish website and company. I can't seem to find any Italian Vigoroso.
Also, all the Vigoroso ones I find all contain Oakmoss, but I guess they cut the amount of it to stay within the new limit.

Cheers.

Hi, while doing some research on Floid vs Proraso, I came across this thread and this picture has me somewhat confused. You say that the middle bottle is an Italian version, but from the typing on it it's Spanish? Also, everywhere I find it, the backside of the bottle/box references the Spanish website and company. I can't seem to find any Italian Vigoroso.
Also, all the Vigoroso ones I find all contain Oakmoss, but I guess they cut the amount of it to stay within the new limit.

Cheers.
Left is the current version and label in 400ml. The 150ml bottle in the middle is now also only available with the label and juice of the left one.

Left is the current version and label in 400ml. The 150ml bottle in the middle is now also only available with the label and juice of the left one.
Thanks, yes I have seen the new genuine 150ml, but it's not the Vigoroso is it? I mean the Vigoroso is still something else.
Or am I confusing the products.

Top Bottom