What's new

Questions about blades

So I have been using a safety razor for about 3 months now. The first razor I bought came with a pack of Van der Hagen blades which I am almost out of. I would like to try some other blades but am unsure of which one I want to try. I would like some general suggestions/guidelines from you guys. I know it all personal preference but this way at least maybe I can avoid buying really crappy blades that I would then have to begrudgingly use up.

I suggest the 40 blade Gillette sampler from Connaught shaving. There are some great blades in that pack. The price is now £8.40
Gillette 40.JPG

Blades may be the most YMMV aspect of ’traditional’ wet shaving! What is ‘really crappy’ for me may be perfect for you! Many of us enjoy ‘exploring’ different blade options.

I suggest you purchase a blade sampler pack or two to see what works best in your hands! :thumbup: :thumbup:
I didn't even know that they sold sampler packs like that. I will look into it. I will be honest that I dont think I'm in love with the blades that I have been using.

I didn't even know that they sold sampler packs like that. I will look into it. I will be honest that I dont think I'm in love with the blades that I have been using.
Tryablade is great. You can get single blades. I'm testing 30 or so at the moment. There really is no such thing as a crappy blade. They are all very, very sharp. Some I like, some I don't. It all depends on skin and hair type and the razor being used.

Tryablade is great. You can get single blades. I'm testing 30 or so at the moment. There really is no such thing as a crappy blade. They are all very, very sharp. Some I like, some I don't. It all depends on skin and hair type and the razor being used.
I'll second the suggestion of tryablade.com. You can put together your own sample pack of blades that interest you. I'd add it's a good idea to get two or three of each blade to get a better idea of it.

I would either get a blade sample pack or go to tryablade.com and just get 1 or 2 of everything they make. Everyone is so different than its really difficult to say what blade is best for anyone.
I would probably stay away from Feathers and Kais for now until you get some more experience because you can tear yourself up if you arent careful with them.

What I wish I had done when I started would be to buy 100 of one type of blade, something that's generally thought of as a decent blade like Astra SP, and use it till they're gone. Then start experimenting with different blades. That way you cut down on variables while you really home your technique.

Hard to do, I know. And I doubt beginner me would have done it. But if I had to do it over again...

+1 on a sampler pack.

If you've gone 3 months with VDH blades and not hacked your face to pieces, you'll be fine. I think just about anything you select will be an upgrade.
Yeah I do not love these VDH blades much. But I had them so i used them. I'm really looking forward to trying some better quality blades.

+1 Tryablade.com

Then it's fun to cycle back through again after your technique improves for new perspective.

You also might consider keeping a casual journal with your impression of each blade.

Agreed about tryablade, and I've used them twice recently. There are also some good deals on sample packs on Amazon. I just got a sample pack of 8 different models (I originally said brands, but some brands had more than one model in this sampler) (40 blades) for just under $6.

Last edited:
Razor Emporium has some great sampler packs. I have sensitive skin and fine to regular facial hair, and prefer mild blades to go along with mild razors. I am loving their mild sampler pack, have used Astra SP, Astra SS, and Lord SS blades.

Check out their website.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
So I have been using a safety razor for about 3 months now. The first razor I bought came with a pack of Van der Hagen blades which I am almost out of. I would like to try some other blades but am unsure of which one I want to try. I would like some general suggestions/guidelines from you guys. I know it all personal preference but this way at least maybe I can avoid buying really crappy blades that I would then have to begrudgingly use up.

Great suggestions from all. Most anywhere you go from those Van der Hagen razor blades will be an improvement! Enjoy your quest!

Top Bottom