What's new

Questionable & poor quality razors on Ebay

Many people have been buying questionable or poor quality Straight Razors off of Ebay simply because they have had nothing to help them choose.

Here is my private list of Ebay sellers that are offering, in my opinion, poor quality or questionable quality Straight Razors. If anyone can supply me with other Ebay sellers of same then I will add them to this list.

Poor quality means that the razors are either poorly ground, warped from poor heat treating or made from a steel that cannot be honed as fine as other quality razors and will not retain a shaving edge or the shaving edge is "coarse" as in sandpaper.

This list was compiled from personal experience and the comments from others on the various straight razor web sites. It is not a complete list.

If you have any questions email me at randydance at comcast.net

Randy Tuttle

EBAY SELLERS:
================================================== ====
Questionable quality razors:

airlineman48; this seller used to sell “Paki” razors. I do not know the quality of his current offerings. The Fromm razor is of good quality but the other one...????

baskerville2004 ; this is a Double Arrow brand razor, Chinese made. I am waiting to see if anyone has had a positive experience with this razor

bluepoint2008 – the quality of this straight razor is unknown (China?)
================================================== =====
Poor quality razors:

phatphucks

wowzers

rwmandson

alwaysgood0

jrushw4

whalemeadow

t001s2004

oncoso

Milkcrk mercantile

sharptradingcompany

Coonr

Amazingdeal05

Onecentstarters

Charlie Seigel AKA Aliados has used a Chinese Double Arrow for a few years now, he says it looks a bit rough but gives a great shave!

Just happened upon this post now, It might be an idea to sticky a thread like this so people see it before they get ripped off. I bought a Zeepk "razor" and before the thing arrived I looked at this forum and discovered this fine "made in Germany" product was infact, crap and even said "made in pakistan on the cover). This was confirmed on opening the package... the head fell out of the brush, the soap smelled so putrid and sickly I nearly threw up (think urinal cake smell, only worse), the strop was cheap looking and undoubtedly crap and the razor's edge seemed to be ground with an industrial tool rather than honed. What I'm wondering is how people like this are still in business if they advertise false information and sell a product that is way below anything that can be considered useful or practical, never mind decent quality! Cowboys and thieves.

Just happened upon this post now, It might be an idea to sticky a thread like this so people see it before they get ripped off. I bought a Zeepk "razor" and before the thing arrived I looked at this forum and discovered this fine "made in Germany" product was infact, crap and even said "made in pakistan on the cover). This was confirmed on opening the package... the head fell out of the brush, the soap smelled so putrid and sickly I nearly threw up (think urinal cake smell, only worse), the strop was cheap looking and undoubtedly crap and the razor's edge seemed to be ground with an industrial tool rather than honed. What I'm wondering is how people like this are still in business if they advertise false information and sell a product that is way below anything that can be considered useful or practical, never mind decent quality! Cowboys and thieves.

Stickified :thumbup:

Welcome Ed!:biggrin:

Bill Ellis evaluated one of these and was pleasantly surprised - it honed up ok and shave pretty decently, and thought it would make a pretty good inexpensive starter razor. You'd need to get it honed by an expert, but it is honeable unlike the zeepks and others.

Edit: I tried to find his original review but it's gone now. But it was definitely a Sanguine he was talking about...

Thank you - then I will NOT buy from this guy.. Maybe another one to add to the list..

I saw that razor long time ago Dragonboy, stay away from it even though I didnt have the Lynn DVD I knew to go safe with Tony and start with a Dovo its my face im not messing with that " if it looks too good to be true..it..... "

Bill Ellis evaluated one of these and was pleasantly surprised - it honed up ok and shave pretty decently, and thought it would make a pretty good inexpensive starter razor. You'd need to get it honed by an expert, but it is honeable unlike the zeepks and others.

Edit: I tried to find his original review but it's gone now. But it was definitely a Sanguine he was talking about...

Advice negative untill you proof me with Bill Ellis review that guy I thrust aswell and if its true then yes it would make a perfect newbie Curious novelty find out if straights are something you can use if not then you didnt loose much money

all this excitement too much for me too handle need a cup of redbush tea.:drool:

Yep, after seeing that review, I picked one up to try and they aren't bad at all! That's not saying they're brilliant but as a starter they aren't bad for the money. I found it quite easy to hone up to a useable standard and if my feeble honing skills mess it up then I'm not much out of pocket.

I did find it easier to hone than the few ebay specials I've bought, probably because the blade isn't worn to start with.

Not all rubbish is total rubbish! More cheap and cheerful.

Gareth

I can speak up for "wowzers"...sucks butt (with lick). Dealt with him when I first got into razors. Sells Pakistani garbage. Worst service I ever got was from a seller going by the name of 'blademan", as well. Good razor, but his service was ***.

Many people have been buying questionable or poor quality Straight Razors off of Ebay simply because they have had nothing to help them choose.

Here is my private list of Ebay sellers that are offering, in my opinion, poor quality or questionable quality Straight Razors. If anyone can supply me with other Ebay sellers of same then I will add them to this list.

Poor quality means that the razors are either poorly ground, warped from poor heat treating or made from a steel that cannot be honed as fine as other quality razors and will not retain a shaving edge or the shaving edge is "coarse" as in sandpaper.

This list was compiled from personal experience and the comments from others on the various straight razor web sites. It is not a complete list.

If you have any questions email me at randydance at comcast.net

Randy Tuttle

EBAY SELLERS:
================================================== ====
Questionable quality razors:

airlineman48; this seller used to sell “Paki” razors. I do not know the quality of his current offerings. The Fromm razor is of good quality but the other one...????

baskerville2004 ; this is a Double Arrow brand razor, Chinese made. I am waiting to see if anyone has had a positive experience with this razor

bluepoint2008 – the quality of this straight razor is unknown (China?)
================================================== =====
Poor quality razors:

phatphucks

wowzers

rwmandson

alwaysgood0

jrushw4

whalemeadow

t001s2004

oncoso

Milkcrk mercantile

sharptradingcompany

Coonr

Amazingdeal05

Onecentstarters

Randy, I think it might be better to list sellers that sell good razors like altima55. Or if we create a contact list and offer our opinion on a specific razor or razors that a member is interested on bidding on. When I first started there was a website called "Daves Daily" where Dave would list a number of razors on ebay both good and bad that was a great teaching device to teach us what to look for. I to have lately seen people bidding on razors that will not make a good shaver. There was one the other day where there was a clear 1/4" inch chip out of the blade and the opening bid was $19.99. There are still bargins to be found, but people can not keep paying these high prices for junk. It just raises up the price for everything else.

Thanks Glen

I remember the post as well. I think even Bill had his hands full getting it keen, but Bill could probably get a butter knife keen enough to shave with.

Glen

Top Bottom